White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Some interesting comments if you don't feel like wading through draft minutia:

[Comment From Eric: ]
You mentioned that you've heard the White Sox don't believe McGuire will be available at 13. Have you heard who they are targeting with that pick?

Frankie Piliere:
They have 7-8 names they are still considering. There is a Scott Boras client on their list, that much I can confirm. But I cannot confirm which one, but my educated guess would be Harvey. So, we can't totally rule out a Boras guy at least. Brentz and Kvasnicka top their list of hitters. Yordy Cabrera on the HS side is on their short list. And they'll consider college arms like Wojciechowski, Workman.

[Comment From Jeff B: ]
I've heard that McGuire's stock is dropping a bit. Any chances he's around at 13 for the Chi Sox?

Frankie Piliere:
Timely question. I read that as well but checked into it and found out two things. A. If he falls to the White Sox, they would not take McGuire and B. They are certain he will not be around at 13 and still expect him to go top 10. I never like to say I'm "very confident" about draft buzz but I feel very comfortable saying he'll be gone ahead of Chicago and they wouldn't take him regardless.

The fact that a Boras client is on the list is rather encouraging. Harvey does indeed make the most sense with the Sox desire for college pitching. He is one of the few college arms I really like. He has the highest ceiling of the college pitchers that will be available around 13 (aside from maybe Ranaudo). There is a decent chance he ends up a reliever though. Yordy Cabrera would be interesting in that he is a high schooler, but I'm not sold on his tools other than the power. He could be considered an overdraft at 13. Kvasnicka is an intriguing name, but again would likely be considered an overdraft. Switch hitting catchers are valuable, but there are questions if he can remain behind the plate, and if he will be able to hit at the next level. Not being in on McGuire is somewhat disturbing. I think he's a top 10 talent and would be a steal if he falls.

Last edited by DirtySox; 06-02-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
WSI High Priest

New Mayo mock:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
Old 06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
WSI High Priest

This thread needs more participation.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Seiler's Mock # 8:

http://www.mlbbonusbaby.com/2010/6/2...-8-first-round

Workman.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Winner 2009 Preseason Prediction Contest

Given the Sox track record drafting and developing their own prospects over the last 15 years, I can confidently say I don't care who the heck we draft. I'll care once they get in a big league uniform.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
This thread needs more participation.
OK, here are my thoughts:

1. It doesn't really matter what the "mock drafts" predict, because the SOX will always go for the safe, nondescript college player [usually a pitcher] who is easy to sign. Being able to actually PLAY the game is far less important.

2. The SOX will continue to make the same stupid errors in drafting bags of **** in the early rounds, easy signers in the mid rounds, and relatives of FO personnel in the mid-to-late rounds of drafts.

3. The whole hoopla about Buddy Bell and his merry men of coaches was high bull****. The same types of incomplete players will continue to be produced by this crappy system. [See Morel's inability to improve his walk rate and/or his power numbers, yet he still was promoted as yet the LATEST example of this.]

4. The organization will continue to underspend on signing and developing youngsters, which will lead to even MORE Kotsays, Mackowiacs, Erstads, and Vizquels in the SOX roster in 2011 and beyond. Since the minor league system won't produce much, and KW is HELL-BENT on trading away anything else of value, the FA dumpster-diving will continue. There are traditions, and there are White Sox Traditions.

5. And remember when you're reading the "mock drafts:" KW LOVES ex-FOOTBALL players. Whoever they predict for the draft, if the kid isn't an ex-football player, KW won't draft him.

Drafting ex-football players validates KW's putrid career in baseball, and enables him to live vicariously through other ex-football players.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:48 PM
WSI High Priest

o. thx.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:54 PM
WSI High Priest

ProfessorFog

@JonathanMayoB3 Stemming from your current mock, have you heard any links with the Chi Sox and Loux? Or just an educated guess? 20 minutes ago via web in reply to JonathanMayoB3

JonathanMayoB3

@ProfessorFog No, that's one I've heard. Doesn't guarantee anything, but I wouldn't guess with a name like that. 9 minutes ago via web in reply to ProfessorFog
Old 06-02-2010, 05:00 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
The fact that a Boras client is on the list is rather encouraging. Harvey does indeed make the most sense with the Sox desire for college pitching. He is one of the few college arms I really like. He has the highest ceiling of the college pitchers that will be available around 13 (aside from maybe Ranaudo). There is a decent chance he ends up a reliever though. Yordy Cabrera would be interesting in that he is a high schooler, but I'm not sold on his tools other than the power. He could be considered an overdraft at 13. Kvasnicka is an intriguing name, but again would likely be considered an overdraft. Switch hitting catchers are valuable, but there are questions if he can remain behind the plate, and if he will be able to hit at the next level. Not being in on McGuire is somewhat disturbing. I think he's a top 10 talent and would be a steal if he falls.
If true it's a pretty interesting note. It could mean (and perhaps I'm reading too much into it), but it could mean that they are just not looking at any of these "safe" college pitchers at all and they have their sights set on someone like a Harvey which would fit with the recent draft direction. It could also be that there's just something about McGuire that they dislike.
It could also be untrue (a la the Castellanos "interest"), or it could be misdirection, smokescreen, whatever you want to call it.

That is part of why I love the draft though. So much to think about, so many scraps of information to over-analyze.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
If true it's a pretty interesting note. It could mean (and perhaps I'm reading too much into it), but it could mean that they are just not looking at any of these "safe" college pitchers at all and they have their sights set on someone like a Harvey which would fit with the recent draft direction. It could also be that there's just something about McGuire that they dislike.
It could also be untrue (a la the Castellanos "interest"), or it could be misdirection, smokescreen, whatever you want to call it.

That is part of why I love the draft though. So much to think about, so many scraps of information to over-analyze.
That's how I took it as well. I don't like overly safe picks, but there is something to be said for a bit of "safety" and polish if you are picking relatively early. Especially if upper end talent falls. It's much easier to pick based on tools and a high ceiling in the back of the 1st round.

The potential interest in Harvey, Wojo, Loux, and Workman backs up a high upside theory despite all being college arms. So does the speculation that the Sox aren't in on Wimmers at all.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 PM
WSI Regular

Information overload today, it's like everyone had their deadline on the same day!

So the consensus is that we're going with a college arm again. Brilliant! Visionary!

We're picking in the top 15 for the second time in a while, this isn't the position to be "safe" in my opinion. IMHO, this is a perfect place to grab someone that squeaks out of the top 10, of course spending then becomes the issue and we all know where that leads. Why not Castellanos or Yordy Cabrera? They're riskier picks, but we need some bats with high upside on the power end.

It's also amazing to see the direction the first round in these mock drafts has gone. Early on it seemed there were a lot more prep prospects up and down the first round, more recently the college players have come to dominate the first round. Are these prep guys sensing how weak this year's draft class is and would rather take their chances three years from now?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
That's how I took it as well. I don't like overly safe picks, but there is something to be said for a bit of "safety" and polish if you are picking relatively early. Especially if upper end talent falls. It's much easier to pick based on tools and a high ceiling in the back of the 1st round.

The potential interest in Harvey, Wojo, Loux, and Workman backs up a high upside theory despite all being college arms. So does the speculation that the Sox aren't in on Wimmers at all.
I don't see the upside in Workman, Loux or Wojo. I see upside in Harvey, but that's going to be a major project. I'd prefer Covey or Whitson over any college arm that would be available to us (I doubt Deck falls to us).
Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
So the consensus is that we're going with a college arm again. Brilliant! Visionary!
There is nothing wrong with drafting a college arm but I understand where you are coming from. After getting a lot of flack for making two serious overdrafts in Broadway and McCulloch, the Sox brass has tried to fool us into believing they are going in the right direction by drafting guys with higher upsides than the aforementioned two (which really isn't saying much by the way); nevertheless, we are still overdrafting with college players and getting them to sign at slot.

Having said that, it was made clear after the 2009 draft that the Sox wanted to stock up on pitching in this year's draft and the draft class of 2010 is heavy on college arms, hence the college arm pick at #13. The farmsystem could use some depth in every area but since you can never have too much pitching, might as well go with that. I am at least relieved to hear that Sox are not too interested in Wimmers, a pick reminiscent of the McCulloch-Broadway era albeit with more polish and upside. Some of the names mentioned like Harvey and Workman are actually rather promising since they are good power arms from what I hear.

You mentioned Castellanos and I agree that it's disappointing that the Sox are seemingly not interested in him. He looks like a real stud but in all fairness to the Sox brass, third base is a position where I feel we don't need immediate replenishment. We have Morel making his way up, Viciedo could make his way back to third base if needed (Let's hope not) and there's Gilmore who is really raw but nevertheless a former sandwich pick. So, all in all, I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if we draft a high upside college arm and not Castellanos.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
There is nothing wrong with drafting a college arm but I understand where you are coming from. After getting a lot of flack for making two serious overdrafts in Broadway and McCulloch, the Sox brass has tried to fool us into believing they are going in the right direction by drafting guys with higher upsides than the aforementioned two (which really isn't saying much by the way); nevertheless, we are still overdrafting with college players and getting them to sign at slot.

Having said that, it was made clear after the 2009 draft that the Sox wanted to stock up on pitching in this year's draft and the draft class of 2010 is heavy on college arms, hence the college arm pick at #13. The farmsystem could use some depth in every area but since you can never have too much pitching, might as well go with that. I am at least relieved to hear that Sox are not too interested in Wimmers, a pick reminiscent of the McCulloch-Broadway era albeit with more polish and upside. Some of the names mentioned like Harvey and Workman are actually rather promising since they are good power arms from what I hear.

You mentioned Castellanos and I agree that it's disappointing that the Sox are seemingly not interested in him. He looks like a real stud but in all fairness to the Sox brass, third base is a position where I feel we don't need immediate replenishment. We have Morel making his way up, Viciedo could make his way back to third base if needed (Let's hope not) and there's Gilmore who is really raw but nevertheless a former sandwich pick. So, all in all, I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if we draft a high upside college arm and not Castellanos.
Good post. I have no problem with them drafting pitching. It is very much needed. There really isn't a single starting pitching prospect to get remotely excited about aside from Hudson in the Sox system. While I would love for the Sox to nab an Allie/Whitson/Cole/Covey, it isn't going to happen. The aforementioned Wojo/Loux/Workman/Harvey/Eibner all have varying degrees of upside. The question is which of those pitchers upsides/ceilings are worthy of pick 13?
Old 06-02-2010, 09:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Our farm system really needs some pitching, but college arms always seem to be underwhelming unless you're grabbing the first one or two. Of course, guys like Hudson pop up, but there seems to be a lot of Kyle McCullochs floating around.