White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Cool. Let's go to KC and get swept.

Seriously though, a few names to remember for 2011:

-Gerrit Cole
-Taylor Jungmann
-Anthony Rendon
-Zach Cone
-Jack Armstrong
-Sonny Gray
-Matt Purke
-Alex Meyer

I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post

Seriously though, a few names to remember for 2011:

-Gerrit Cole
-Taylor Jungmann
-Anthony Rendon
-Zach Cone
-Jack Armstrong
-Sonny Gray
-Matt Purke
-Alex Meyer

I'm looking forward to it.
I love the Sox, but if the class is really as good as you say, then I hope IF the Sox do wind up losing the division/wild card that they somehow wind-up in the bottom 3rd of the pack. No sense in losing a division if you're not getting anything back for it. It's especially important since we could be seeing some players walk this offseason.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Baseball America has the Sox taking Josh Sale in its latest (first?) mock draft. An interesting choice. Not sure the reasoning as I'm too poor to access beyond the pay wall.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:59 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Baseball America has the Sox taking Josh Sale in its latest (first?) mock draft. An interesting choice. Not sure the reasoning as I'm too poor to access beyond the pay wall.
There was no reasoning really, just that Sale or Brentz would be "especially dangerous" hitting in the Cell. He then goes on to say that they're looking at college pitchers and lists some healthy college arms that should be available at 13.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
He then goes on to say that they're looking at college pitchers and lists some healthy college arms that should be available at 13.
Sounds about what I'm expecting. Really think we end up with Wimmers if his injury concerns are out of the picture.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Mayo on Ranaudo and Pomeranz concerns:

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2...g_on_with.html
Old 05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

A decent Jim Callis Draft Q&A with some general questions and answers about this year's draft class:

http://www.collegesplits.com/blog/20...th-jim-ca.html
Old 05-19-2010, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

JonathanMayoB3
As advertised, my first crack at the top 10 picks for this year's s #mlbdraft. Next week, picks 1-20. http://tinyurl.com/37ajbca
Old 05-19-2010, 12:54 PM
WSI High Priest

As indicated by Mayo's top 10 mock and other publications, stock is rapidly changing for some players. Vitek/Allie/Grandal/Harvey are rising. Pomeranz/Ranaudo/Cole have been trending downwards.

Scouts are very worried about Ranaudo and his injury issues. Couple that with Boras representation and a likely overslot demand, and he might fall out of the first round completely. Baseball America noted as such in a recent mailbag. I think it's most likely hes a mid to late 1st round pick depending on how performs in his final few appearances though.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
WSI High Priest

If you need something to watch before the Sox/Hawks games tonight, consider tuning in to Big Ten Network at 6. Alex Wimmers is returning to the mound for Ohio St and is a legitimate 1st round pick. I would peg him going middle of the 1st. He is a reasonable consideration for the White Sox at 13. Wimmers isn't 100% though, and has been dealing with a hamstring injury.

Scouting Reports on Wimmers:

http://pnrscouting.com/scoutingrepor...wimmersal.html

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...pic_id=8080130

He's what most people would consider a safe pick. He doesn't have a huge arm and overwhelming stuff, but he knows how to pitch and gets the most out of what he has. He kind of reminds me of Mike Leake in that manner. Jonathan Mayo and many scouts believe he will be one of, if not the first player from the 2010 draft to reach the majors.

Another interesting name on Minnesota's squad is Michael Kvasnicka. He's a converted outfielder who is splitting time catching. A switch hitter with average power, who has a pretty good grasp of the strike zone. He has decent speed and will be one of the more athletic catchers if he sticks there. He has an above average arm but is pretty raw behind the plate. He's no sure bet to remain at the position. Kvasnicka is considered a 2nd round talent.

A Sickels blurb here:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...e-hitters-part

Last edited by DirtySox; 05-21-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Continued mention of the White Sox desire for college pitching with the 1st pick. No surprises here.

jimcallisBA
I hear college P on Chisox, but Choice would be nice get. @chisox2691: If Choice falls to the White Sox at 13, do they take him? #mlbdraft 6 minutes ago via HootSuite
Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
WSI High Priest

2 weeks until the draft.

Andy Seiler - Mock Draft # 7
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM
WSI Regular

Austin Wilson's stock is dropping like a stone! Anyone know why he's been falling recently?

I'm really tired of the safe college arms we've picking in the first round in the past (McCulloch, Ring, etc.), this year we should pick someone younger and a little more raw but with a higher upside. I wouldn't mind seeing us take Kaleb Cowart, he could develop as a front of the rotation type guy on the mound or a masher at third.

Hopefully we'll go into this year's draft keeping an eye on the future of the organization, not just the "win now" mentality.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
Austin Wilson's stock is dropping like a stone! Anyone know why he's been falling recently?

I'm really tired of the safe college arms we've picking in the first round in the past (McCulloch, Ring, etc.), this year we should pick someone younger and a little more raw but with a higher upside. I wouldn't mind seeing us take Kaleb Cowart, he could develop as a front of the rotation type guy on the mound or a masher at third.

Hopefully we'll go into this year's draft keeping an eye on the future of the organization, not just the "win now" mentality.
Pitch recognition is big concern currently. He also has a Stanford commit and is seeking a significant amount of money. Big leverage. He might drop out of the 1st round entirely. I suspect he's taken by Boston or New York.

Preaching to the choir about draft philosophy. Unfortunately all signs/sources/publications/leaks have the Sox linked to college arms that would take slot. I would be stunned if they take anything else.

Last edited by DirtySox; 05-24-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Keith Law's first mock draft has the White Sox selecting Asher Wojciechowski. College arm, cheap, etc.