White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Updated Draft Buzz:

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/05/d...5-clearing-up/
Old 06-05-2010, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
The shocker in this mock draft is the inclusion of Jesse Biddle going at #14 to the Brewers. A 6-5 lanky lefty that seems a lot like our second round pick last year David Holmberg. I was hoping he'd fall to us in the second round, but he's been on helium alert the last couple of weeks.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
The shocker in this mock draft is the inclusion of Jesse Biddle going at #14 to the Brewers. A 6-5 lanky lefty that seems a lot like our second round pick last year David Holmberg. I was hoping he'd fall to us in the second round, but he's been on helium alert the last couple of weeks.
I was hoping the same. The Sox need some lefties in the system. I've been on Biddle for a while. Also big fans of Folty, Smelter, and Tago for prep arms.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
I was hoping the same. The Sox need some lefties in the system. I've been on Biddle for a while. Also big fans of Folty, Smelter, and Tago for prep arms.
Good call on Smelter and Tago. Unfortunately I can't seeing Smelter dropping out of the supplemental round, but we might have a legit shot at Tago which would be amazing. Tall, projectable kid that can touch mid-90s with his fastball and average-above average offspeed stuff, I'll take that any day of the week.

Hopefully if we go with a safe college arm with our first pick, then we'll follow the pattern of previous years by drafting a higher-ceiling prep player with our second pick. (i.e. Holmberg, Edwards, Griffith) I wouldn't mind seeing us take LeVon Washington, Reggie Golden or even Austin Wood in the second round either.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:45 PM
WSI High Priest

FrankiePiliere
Draft Buzz Update: Mets Leaning Toward Justin O'Conner With 7th Pick http://bit.ly/9wih9z 6 minutes ago via web
Old 06-06-2010, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Some analysts think that Deck McGuire of Georgia Tech might fall to the White Sox. If he does, should the Sox take him?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Some analysts think that Deck McGuire of Georgia Tech might fall to the White Sox. If he does, should the Sox take him?
Yes. He might be considered safe, but he is a top talent and the Sox would be lucky to get him. 4 pitch mix, pitchers frame, great poise and other intangibles. His ceiling might not be higher than a 2 or 3, but he is very likely to reach that middle of the rotation status.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Top 10 Update:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2243
Old 06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
WSI Regular

Default Mock Big Board

So I was bored this weekend and thought I'd try mocking up a big board for the first few rounds before the draft on Monday. These are a few names that really catch my interest and I'm trying to approximate their draft position. Obviously I'm not a scout and these rankings are just my opinion/speculation and in no way represent who the Sox are likely to choose, so take them for what their worth. I thought it would be fun to put this together and am interested in what you guys think.

I skipped the first round since that's been the primary focus for the past few weeks and dove into the later rounds.

Second Round

DeAndre Smelter- athletic, raw pitcher that features a mid-90's fastball with a ton of sink to go with an average-above average slider and change.
Reggie Golden- speedy OF has a lot of power potential in his bat, could develop into a legit 5-tool player.
Ryne Stanek- Tall, lanky RHP out of Missouri that can hit 95 mph with his fastball already. Decent control on secondary stuff, curve could be an out-pitch.
Peter Tago- Live arm to go with a tall frame, can command his curve well, also has a SL and CH.
LeVon Washington- speedy top-of-the-order type of hitter that was a hot prospect in last year's draft.

Third Round(we have two picks this round since we didn't sign Morgado)

Sam Dyson- good stuff, command and consistency have been erratic.
Jared Lakind- I love this kid's bat, if you watch videos on him the ball just flies off his bat.
Tyler Holt- toolsy lead-off hitter for FSU, like his approach to the game.
Jesse Biddle- He 's been moving up the draft boards lately, if he's around our first third round pick it's no-brainer.
Chris Hernandez- I've been really impressed with his pitchability, crafty lefty reminds me of Buehrle a little.
Bobby Wahl- great size with good stuff, slider is an out-pitch.
Cody Wheeler- kind of reminds me of Roy Oswalt from the left side.

Fourth Round

Angelo Gumbs- great athleticism at SS, more than likely a future CF. Sounds like a potential Torii Hunter.
Derek Dietrich- polished college SS that might have to switch to 2B or 3B.
Kendrick Perkins- athletic OF prospect, good power potential.
Andrelton Simmons- raw but athletic SS prospect, there are concerns about his bat. Also a relief pitcher that can touch 95mph with his fastball.
Mike Olt- power-hitting 3B that makes decent contact, concerns over his eye and patience at the plate.
Tony Thompson- last year's Big 12 Triple Crown winner, coming off a knee injury. Loads of potential, might go back for his senior year.

5-10 Rounds(just thought I'd throw out some names that might go in these rounds)

Nate Roberts, OF, High Point Univ.
DeMarcus Tidwell, OF, Yavapai College
Chad Lewis, 3B, Marina (CA) HS
Mike Lorenzen, OF, Fullerton (CA) HS
Ty Linton, OF, Charlotte Christian (NC) HS
Bronson Gillam, RHP/1B, Evangel Christian Academy (LA)
A.J. Kirby-Jones, 1B, Tennessee-Tech
Tommy Medica, C, Santa Clara University

Basically I hope we address our needs for pitching, power and leadoff hitters with this draft. I know it's considered a weak draft this year, but I think you can still find some pretty good ball players too.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Kevin_Goldstein
Multiple sources have mentions Zach Cox looking for "Alvarez money", could cause him to slip #mlbdraft 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM
WSI High Priest

FrankiePiliere
Draft Buzz: Josh Sale appears to be Houston's guy at pick #8 http://bit.ly/9wih9z 2 minutes ago via web
Old 06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Kevin_Goldstein
Multiple sources have mentions Zach Cox looking for "Alvarez money", could cause him to slip #mlbdraft 12 minutes ago via TweetDeck
Haha. Good luck with that, Zach.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
Haha. Good luck with that, Zach.
No kidding.

keithlaw
Speaking of which, if I was a GM I'd tell any college player who thinks he'll do better in the stacked 2011 draft to take his reality pills 7 minutes ago via web
Old 06-06-2010, 08:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Kevin_Goldstein
I'd be fine with him there. RT @n_schaef: @Kevin_Goldstein As a White Sox fan, how upset should I be with grabbing Asher Walphabet at 13? less than a minute ago via TweetDeck
Old 06-11-2010, 10:53 PM
WSI High Priest

2011 draft related; Gerrit Cole is pitching on ESPN2 currently for UCLA. He's very likely a top 5 pick in next year's draft.