White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2010, 12:02 PM
WSI High Priest

The final college game tonight at 9 CT on ESPNU, is probably the most interesting from a draft/prospect standpoint. Minnesota versus Cal St. Fullerton.

On the Gophers side, there is C/OF Mike Kvasnicka who the Sox (and many others teams) have been linked to in the 1st round, and SP Seth Rosin who isn't a 1st round talent, but would fall in the top 200.

Cal St. Fullerton has 1st round SS talent Christian Colon, and likely 1st/supplemental/2nd round CF Gary Brown. I'm not on the Gary Brown bandwagon, but he has many tools and is very interesting.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Are there any "sleepers" in the lower-levels that could surprise in the future? I know about Viciedo, Flowers, Hudson, Danks, and Morel, but is there anyone you're excited about?
DirtySox hit the nail on the head with his assessment of the farm system, pretty thin besides a few fringy prospects in the lower levels.

One name I like as a potential sleeper is Nevin Griffith, a former 2nd round pick out of high school, finally getting over TJ surgery in 2008 and looks like he's regaining his confidence. I've listened to few of his starts on the internet, he can work himself out of jams and is confident in throwing his off-speed stuff in any count, this might lead to his higher walk rate but it also shows that he's mentally tough too. The W-S announcer always raves about Nevin's work ethic as well.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
WSI High Priest

FrankiePiliere
Unless I'm getting great misdirection thrown at me, #Padres will choose Vitek or Choice following their impressive workouts #MLBDraft 8 minutes ago via web
Old 06-04-2010, 12:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
DirtySox hit the nail on the head with his assessment of the farm system, pretty thin besides a few fringy prospects in the lower levels.

One name I like as a potential sleeper is Nevin Griffith, a former 2nd round pick out of high school, finally getting over TJ surgery in 2008 and looks like he's regaining his confidence. I've listened to few of his starts on the internet, he can work himself out of jams and is confident in throwing his off-speed stuff in any count, this might lead to his higher walk rate but it also shows that he's mentally tough too. The W-S announcer always raves about Nevin's work ethic as well.
Good assessment. I like Griffith, but I'm not entirely sure what to think yet. I'd like to see more strikeouts. I remember that his slider was what made him so effective and why he was drafted so high, but that pitch is what led to TJ. I think he might have ditched the pitch entirely. What have you heard from listening?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Good assessment. I like Griffith, but I'm not entirely sure what to think yet. I'd like to see more strikeouts. I remember that his slider was what made him so effective and why he was drafted so high, but that pitch is what led to TJ. I think he might have ditched the pitch entirely. What have you heard from listening?
He's ditched the slider and replaced it with a curve, from what I've heard though it's been effective and he definitely throws it over the plate. I can recall a few of his strikeouts freezing the batter with the curve so at least he's trying to develop as an out pitch.

I also agree with you about the strikeouts, earlier in the year he was mowing batters down but then tapered off recently. I'm cutting him some slack since this is his first full year after the TJ surgery, so conditioning will still be an issue I'm sure.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:10 PM
WSI Personality

Thanks fellas. Good stuff.

Okay, another question for the baseball-stupid. Is there close to a consensus among you on who the Sox should draft from among the players likely to be available at 13? It seems like Sox like to go heavy on pitchers, but it seems like we have lacked solid position player prospects - not counting Beckham. Even the ones we have seem to have gaping holes in their games. Mitchell and Thompson are hurt, Flowers and Danks forgot how to hit, Viciedo has a suspect glove, etc. Is there anyone rumored to be around #13 that has a ceiling higher than "Joe Randa" (reference to Morel/Randa comparison).

It seems like pitchers usually come to the Sox via free agency. It also seems to my untrained eye that with exceptions like MB, all but the "blue chippers" seem to wash out at a higher rate. I think of guys like Rauch (even though he has resurrected his career), Ruffcorn, Ruffin, Cotts, and a host of other Sox arms that were at one time or another considered studs.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 PM
WSI High Priest

The consensus of what people on this and other message boards want versus what the organization is seeking is quite different. People around here and other places are clamoring for high upside players with plenty of tools, quite often despite the risk and cost. This is unrealistic based upon the track record of the organization. It seems that there is a new organizational desire to pick players with some upside and a higher ceiling, but it's very limited in that the Sox are averse to drafting high school players in the first round, and that they tend not to go over slot, or at least not by much.

College pitching seems to be the consensus and focal point of many sources. There is also a mix of college bats that are frequently mentioned. As of currently, there is one (maybe two) high school position players that might be in the mix. I think it's the most likely that the pick ends up being a college pitcher. If not, it will likely be a valued college bat that has somehow fallen to 13. I find it very unlikely that the aforementioned prep position player(s) is taken.

The names in play that I referred to above and that have been linked to the White Sox are as follows. Parenthesis indicate that though they have been linked to the White Sox at some point, recent/current information says they aren't likely picked.

College Pitchers:

-Brandon Workman
-Deck McGuire
-Asher Wojciechowski
-Barret Loux
-Matt Harvey*
-Jesse Hahn
-Brett Eibner
-(Alex Wimmers)

College Position Players:

-Bryce Brentz
-Mike Kvasnicka
-Yasmani Grandal

High School Position Players:

-Nick Castellanos
-(Yordy Cabrera)**
-(Josh Sale)

*Harvey is a Boras client, but has a very high ceiling for a college pitcher. If reports are true in what he is seeking, he almost assuredly won't be picked.

**Yordy has been mentioned only once in connection with the White Sox. I doubt he is in play, and he could be considered a big overdraft at 13.

Last edited by DirtySox; 06-04-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Supposedly the White Sox might be in on Grandal once more. If you are an Insider you can read the latter portion of the statement.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...26id%3d5252652

Would love if they took him.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Supposedly the White Sox might be in on Grandal once more. If you are an Insider you can read the latter portion of the statement.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog?...26id%3d5252652

Would love if they took him.
I'd be happy if the Sox took him instead of the non-inspiring college arms I've been hearing about at #13. An athletic catcher with plus arm, plus speed and plus bat? Heck yes! Still, it would be even better if they drafted Castellanos instead but realistically speaking, both of these guys are pipe-dreams. If Sox pick one of these two, that would be an irrefutible proof that Sox have indeed completely changed their draft philosophy.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
I'd be happy if the Sox took him instead of the non-inspiring college arms I've been hearing about at #13. An athletic catcher with plus arm, plus speed and plus bat? Heck yes! Still, it would be even better if they drafted Castellanos instead but realistically speaking, both of these guys are pipe-dreams. If Sox pick one of these two, that would be an irrefutible proof that Sox have indeed completely changed their draft philosophy.
I haven't watched much of Grandal personally but this is not how he grades based on everything I've read. He gets more solid average grades (55's) for his hit tool and power and Keith Law/Jason Churchill gave him a 30 for speed.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
I haven't watched much of Grandal personally but this is not how he grades based on everything I've read. He gets more solid average grades (55's) for his hit tool and power and Keith Law/Jason Churchill gave him a 30 for speed.
Oops, you are right. I was in a bit of a rush and I skimmed through only one scouting report. So I mistakenly interpreted his quickness behind the plate as quickness on the basepath and half-arsedly assumed his bat must be great enough to be considered the top catcher in the draft. This is why one needs to be thorough when reading about materials he does not know well and not make himself look like an idiot. I guess I better do better research next time before posting something in this thread.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:46 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
Oops, you are right. I was in a bit of a rush and I skimmed through only one scouting report. So I mistakenly interpreted his quickness behind the plate as quickness on the basepath and half-arsedly assumed his bat must be great enough to be considered the top catcher in the draft. This is why one needs to be thorough when reading about materials he does not know well and not make himself look like an idiot. I guess I better do better research next time before posting something in this thread.
Haha didn't mean to bust your balls or anything. You got the plus arm and good athleticism right at least!
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 PM
WSI High Priest

FrankiePiliere
Rumor: #Royals, according to industry sources are believed to have a deal in place with Yasmani Grandal for 4th overall pick #MLBDraft 3 minutes ago via web
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 AM
WSI High Priest

Law notes that if the Royals do indeed take Grandal, it puts the White Sox back onto college pitching.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Law notes that if the Royals do indeed take Grandal, it puts the White Sox back onto college pitching.
Unless they take Brentz.
2013 WSI Baseball H2H Champion