White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 10:06 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo_Honey View Post
Having said that, it was made clear after the 2009 draft that the Sox wanted to stock up on pitching in this year's draft and the draft class of 2010 is heavy on college arms, hence the college arm pick at #13. The farmsystem could use some depth in every area but since you can never have too much pitching, might as well go with that. I am at least relieved to hear that Sox are not too interested in Wimmers, a pick reminiscent of the McCulloch-Broadway era albeit with more polish and upside. Some of the names mentioned like Harvey and Workman are actually rather promising since they are good power arms from what I hear.

You mentioned Castellanos and I agree that it's disappointing that the Sox are seemingly not interested in him. He looks like a real stud but in all fairness to the Sox brass, third base is a position where I feel we don't need immediate replenishment. We have Morel making his way up, Viciedo could make his way back to third base if needed (Let's hope not) and there's Gilmore who is really raw but nevertheless a former sandwich pick. So, all in all, I wouldn't throw a hissy fit if we draft a high upside college arm and not Castellanos.
I completely agree, the pitching depth in our system is thin at the higher levels beyond Hudson, Shirek and maybe Torres.

I guess I just disagree with the organization's urgency to fill out the pitching depth. We've got some pretty good arms in Winston-Salem that could potentially contribute on the big league level, Remenowsky, Bellamy, Infante, Doyle and Nevin Griffith who has a lot of potential even after TJ surgery. We've got to get out of that "win now" mind-set and except the reality that we're in for a few years of rebuilding before we're legitimate contenders. Patience, my young padawan.

I think we have a more pressing need for some power bats than pitching at this point. Beyond Flowers and Viciedo, who else could really hit 30+ HRs at the big league level? I think taking Castellanos, Sale or some other prep power bat would really address that weakness.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM
WSI Personality

For the draftniks and farm system followers, I have a few questions...

Are there any "sleepers" in the lower-levels that could surprise in the future? I know about Viciedo, Flowers, Hudson, Danks, and Morel, but is there anyone you're excited about?

What are the Sox next few picks after #13?

Lastly, what are some good sites for information on potential draftees?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
For the draftniks and farm system followers, I have a few questions...

Are there any "sleepers" in the lower-levels that could surprise in the future? I know about Viciedo, Flowers, Hudson, Danks, and Morel, but is there anyone you're excited about?

What are the Sox next few picks after #13?

Lastly, what are some good sites for information on potential draftees?

Thanks in advance.
There really aren't too many sleepers in the system in my opinion. I find some people grasping at prospects who seem very mediocre to me, likely due to how weak the farm is. People will mention Brandon Short, Jon Gilmore, Eduardo Escobar, etc but they are all very fringy in my eyes. I'm sure other people will weigh in, but I like C Miguel Gonzalez in Kanny, RP Kyle Bellamy in Winston-Salem, and RP Dan Remenowsky also in Winston-Salem. Not much else piques my interest. I am looking forward to seeing Holmberg's performance when rookie ball starts though.

As far as draft information, if you just want to get some basic information on players, this will do fine:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130

There is a drop down list above the video display where you can get a snapshot of most 1st round to supplemental/2nd round talents. It offers video and accompanying text about whatever prospect you choose. It isn't super in depth, but it is a great place to start.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Sickels Final Mock:

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2010/...nal-mock-draft
Old 06-04-2010, 11:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Mayo Chat today at 12 CT if anyone has questions.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/chat/index.jsp
Old 06-04-2010, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

First round candidate and potential White Sox pick Barret Loux is currently pitching for Texas A&M on ESPNU. Lots of college baseball on this weekend.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
There really aren't too many sleepers in the system in my opinion. I find some people grasping at prospects who seem very mediocre to me, likely due to how weak the farm is. People will mention Brandon Short, Jon Gilmore, Eduardo Escobar, etc but they are all very fringy in my eyes. I'm sure other people will weigh in, but I like C Miguel Gonzalez in Kanny, RP Kyle Bellamy in Winston-Salem, and RP Dan Remenowsky also in Winston-Salem. Not much else piques my interest. I am looking forward to seeing Holmberg's performance when rookie ball starts though.

As far as draft information, if you just want to get some basic information on players, this will do fine:

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?topic_id=8080130

There is a drop down list above the video display where you can get a snapshot of most 1st round to supplemental/2nd round talents. It offers video and accompanying text about whatever prospect you choose. It isn't super in depth, but it is a great place to start.
Another guy who may not be a "sleeper", but most Sox fans probably haven't heard of him is Trayce Thompson (OF at Kannapolis). Similar to Mitchell in that he has a lot of tools, but is very raw.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Keith Law's latest mock has the White Sox taking Wojo. Insider only. (Asher Wojciechowski for the uninformed)
Old 06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsoxfan View Post
Another guy who may not be a "sleeper", but most Sox fans probably haven't heard of him is Trayce Thompson (OF at Kannapolis). Similar to Mitchell in that he has a lot of tools, but is very raw.
Indeed. I didn't list him because I don't think he's a sleeper anymore. I love the guy. The Jared Mitchell comparison is quite apt. Tons of tools, huge upside, needs plenty of reps though since he's somewhat new to baseball. It's unfortunate about the current injury.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
WSI High Priest

At 3 CT, one can catch the second best catching prospect Yasmani Grandal in Miami versus Dartmouth. He's probably my favorite college position player. He was a possibility for the Sox in past mocks if he fell, but current reports have him seeking a huge overslot bonus which is unfortunate.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
WSI Personality

Do you think Bellamy will be promoted again this year? He's killing high-A.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Do you think Bellamy will be promoted again this year? He's killing high-A.
I think so. He's a fast track candidate for sure. It would give me a reason to check Birmingham box scores.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I think so. He's a fast track candidate for sure. It would give me a reason to check Birmingham box scores.
Given how bad Birmingham is, they should just swap rosters with Kanny (with a couple exceptions).
Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 AM
WSI High Priest

Law also mentions that Castellanos is the only non college pitcher that the Sox are in on. I really like him, but I would be shocked if that was the Sox pick.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:33 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Given how bad Birmingham is, they should just swap rosters with Kanny (with a couple exceptions).
Justin Greene is long overdue for a promotion as well. Fringy prospect but he's somewhat noteworthy.