White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Boston
They're aggressive when it comes to trading prospects? Not at all. Maybe in years past, but not in awhile. Remember when Theo wanted to rip the Sox off for Buehrle just a few years ago? Just one in a long list of many.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
southsideirish71 southsideirish71 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 491
Default

Here is his comment about Hudson in the chat today. Maybe someone should let him know that he pitched beyond Class A last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by law on Hudson
(1:12 PM)
With average stuff at best. And I'm sorry, what a D1 college product did in A-ball - especially low-A - is just not that exciting. Unless he stunk, in which case, he's got one food in the discard pile.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Yea. I saw the Hudson comments as well. He said his ceiling is a 4 or 5. Do not agree.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 PM
thedudeabides thedudeabides is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideirish71 View Post
Here is his comment about Hudson in the chat today. Maybe someone should let him know that he pitched beyond Class A last year.
This is exactly why you can't take him seriously. Much of the time, he really has no idea what he is talking about. I'm willing to bet he couldn't tell you with confidence which hand Hudson throws with.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Yeah, there's a reason Sickels is so much more highly regarded. Hell, I like KG more and all he does is act as a soundboard for scouts.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideirish71 View Post
Here is his comment about Hudson in the chat today. Maybe someone should let him know that he pitched beyond Class A last year.
The telling thing about that statement is that any one of us could have researched Hudson's stats from last year in less than 10 minutes. That he actually got paid to write that article is also telling. I expect to read that kind of comment on a 'non-Sox' fan message board, not from a "baseball expert" employed by the most prominent media outlet for baseball in the country.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

I probably would have accepted some analysis that included reservations about Hudson's performance/progression at the higher levels and his third pitch, but man, what horse****.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:46 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
The telling thing about that statement is that any one of us could have researched Hudson's stats from last year in less than 10 minutes. That he actually got paid to write that article is also telling. I expect those to read that kind of comment on a 'non-Sox' fan message board, not from a "baseball expert" employed by the most prominent media outlet for baseball in the country.
Even the question includes that he played at every level.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:48 PM
thedudeabides thedudeabides is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Yeah, there's a reason Sickels is so much more highly regarded. Hell, I like KG more and all he does is act as a soundboard for scouts.
Agreed. At the very least, they seem to put the research in.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-28-2010, 01:52 PM
asindc's Avatar
asindc asindc is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 7,424
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Boston
I think Boston comes closest in terms of trading top flight prospects for proven MLB players (i.e., Hanley for Beckett) while maintaining a strong farm system, but even they are left thin in certain areas after major trades. They are still trying to solve their SS concerns four years after trading Hanley, a la the Sox and our CF issues after trading Rowand. Also, with the question marks surrounding Dice-K, their pitching depth does not appear to be as strong as once thought, even with the addition of Lackey.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 26,314
Default

Keith Law for years has bashed anything to do with the White Sox in part, because they subscribe to the belief that minor league players are basically there for one reason and one reason only, to be used in trades for established major league performers. That doesn't suit his personal philosophy.

I have no issues with the Sox philosophy given the odds of any minor league player spending even one day in the big leagues let alone become an impact player.

Gordon Beckham is a once in a generation player, the others may or probably won't even take one pitch in the big leagues.

I'd trade the entire farm system every day and twice on Sunday to get guys who have actually established themselves and accomplished something in the hardest league in the world.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,583
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Boston
How Boston got 2 high draft choices out of Wagner is just incredible. That's one way to help build a system....assemble multiple choices.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-28-2010, 10:59 PM
munchman33 munchman33 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pilsen
Posts: 7,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsideirish71 View Post
Here is his comment about Hudson in the chat today. Maybe someone should let him know that he pitched beyond Class A last year.
Mr. Law has received some pretty angry emails from me about this. I don't mind when experts don't know tons about every prospect (it's nearly impossible), but it's simply outlandish to make things up when you obviously have no idea what the guy's been doing.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
munchman33 munchman33 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Pilsen
Posts: 7,813
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Keith Law for years has bashed anything to do with the White Sox in part, because they subscribe to the belief that minor league players are basically there for one reason and one reason only, to be used in trades for established major league performers. That doesn't suit his personal philosophy.

I have no issues with the Sox philosophy given the odds of any minor league player spending even one day in the big leagues let alone become an impact player.

Gordon Beckham is a once in a generation player, the others may or probably won't even take one pitch in the big leagues.

I'd trade the entire farm system every day and twice on Sunday to get guys who have actually established themselves and accomplished something in the hardest league in the world.

Lip
Gordon Beckham is a once in a generation player because of the way we run our team. Plenty of other squads bring stars and ROY candidates to the majors quite often. Two of those teams finished ahead of us in the division last year.

I don't subscribe to the all prospect philosophy of Keith Law, but the opposite end of the spectrum is just as nuts.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Gordon Beckham is a once in a generation player because of the way we run our team. Plenty of other squads bring stars and ROY candidates to the majors quite often. Two of those teams finished ahead of us in the division last year.

I don't subscribe to the all prospect philosophy of Keith Law, but the opposite end of the spectrum is just as nuts.
Yeah, if Beckham is once in a generation then Aaron Hill is a hall of famer. I love Gordon, and his ceiling is unimaginable, but let's not make that bust yet.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.