White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Default BP's Top 11 White Sox Prospects

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=9776

Quote:
Four-Star Prospects
1. Daniel Hudson, RHP
2. Jared Mitchell, OF
3. Tyler Flowers, C
Three-Star Prospects
4. Jordan Danks, CF
5. Dayan Viciedo, 3B
6. Brent Morel, 3B
7. Clevelan Santeliz, RHP
8. Trayce Thompson, OF
Two-Star Prospects
9. Santos Rodriguez, LHP
10. David Holmberg, LHP
11. C.J. Retherford, 2B

Four More:

12. Jhonny Nunez, RHP: Nunez has a 93-95 mph fastball and a very good slider, both of which should fit in a big-league bullpen, though he falls short of being the late-inning type.
13. Josh Phegley, C: The 2009 draftee is the rare college catcher with power and patience, but there are way too many questions about his defensive prowess.
14. John Ely, RHP: Ely has consistently gotten minor league hitters out, but on a pure scouting level, he has merely average stuff and command.
15. Nathan Jones, RHP: Standing 6-foot-5, he's projectable as all get out and dialed up heat clocked up to 97 mph this year; he'll also be 24 in January while having yet to get out of A-ball.
The Sleeper: While the White Sox are rarely big players on the international scene, they might have found something in 18-year-old Venezuelan catcher Miguel Gonzalez, who combines a good bat with power potential and impressive catch-and-throw skills.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

...most scouts believe that Hudson has "maxed out"? Really? Hell, even if he has maxed out to a 3rd starter, that would still be valuable to the club.

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
...most scouts believe that Hudson has "maxed out"? Really? Hell, even if he has maxed out to a 3rd starter, that would still be valuable to the club.
He said 'many', not 'most.' There is a difference, but I'd like to know how much 'many' is? He later says 'some' scouts think he doesn't have much more room for growth? How many is 'some'? What do the rest think? You're rating him as a four star prospect, there has to be someone out there that likes his future.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
He said 'many', not 'most.' There is a difference, but I'd like to know how much 'many' is? He later says 'some' scouts think he doesn't have much more room for growth? How many is 'some'? What do the rest think? You're rating him as a four star prospect, there has to be someone out there that likes his future.
Probably depends on what you see as a bright future. He has a lot of potential to be a serviceable to good Sp in the MLB. But does he have the potential to be a front of the rotation starter to ace? I think that is what the scouts are questioning. I kinda see him as a really good #3 starter that could peak at a #2, but I doubt he will the kind of pitcher you can build a rotation around.
Of course this is only based on the few innings I saw him pitch this year so I could easily be wrong.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

1. Daniel Hudson, RHP 8th Round, 2008
2. Jared Mitchell, OF 1st Round, 2009
3. Tyler Flowers, C Trade ATL 33rd Round, 2005
4. Jordan Danks, CF 8th Round, 2008
5. Dayan Viciedo, 3B FA Cuba
6. Brent Morel, 3B 3rd Round, 2008
7. Clevelan Santeliz, RHP FA DR
8. Trayce Thompson, OF 2nd Round, 2009
9. Santos Rodriguez, LHP FA DR
10. David Holmberg, LHP 2nd Round, 2009
11. C.J. Retherford, 2B Undrafted

Bold=Drafted by CHW
Underlined= Picked up in Trade
Italic= Free Agent

Last edited by SoxNation05; 11-17-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
4. Jordan Danks, CF 8th Round, 2009
6. Brent Morel, 3B 3rd Round, 2009

Bold=Drafted by CHW
Italic= Free Agent

We drafted 6/11 including 5 of them coming from the 2009 draft.
Danks and Morel were both drafted in 2008.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Danks and Morel were both drafted in 2008.
Thank you, I can't believe I did that. aha
Old 11-18-2009, 01:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation05 View Post
4. Jordan Danks, CF 8th Round, 2008
6. Brent Morel, 3B 3rd Round, 2008

Bold=Drafted by CHW
Italic= Free Agent
I cant believe the White Sox had an amazing draft the last 2 years.
Now lets trade them Kenny for Adrian Gonzalez
Old 11-18-2009, 06:41 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mexico View Post
I cant believe the White Sox had an amazing draft the last 2 years.
Now lets trade them Kenny for Adrian Gonzalez
It probably also speaks to how bare our system had gotten. I don't think one of these guys was in the organization before the start of 2008.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Banned

Here are some Sox-centric questions from the chat (the transcripts are viewable without subscription):
Quote:
Kevin (London): Do you think Viciedo will become a productive major league player? An unimpressive slash line combined with poor scouting reports about defense/body type make it seem unlikely at this point, no? Sure, it's early, but there's little room for optimism outside of a small second half sample size and good reports about bat speed. Kevin Goldstein: There's also a pretty telling track record of Cuban players really struggling in their first year over in Estados Unidos. I still have some faith there, but he has to get into better physical condition.

Kevin (London): Thanks, KG. Have you heard much about Brent Morel's defense? He was voted the best defensive 3B in the Carolina League -- and the significance of that is debatable -- but Buddy Bell has been pretty positive. Could Morel hope to become a left-handed Pedro Feliz if all goes well?
Kevin Goldstein: He's a solid to plus defender. Make the plays he gets to, and great fundamentals. He's nowhere near to Feliz defensively. Feliz is among the best of the generation there.

Eric (Memphis): Kevin, has Tyler Flowers' defense improved this year to the point where there are far fewer questions about his ability to stay behind the plate?
Kevin Goldstein: Absolutely.

Mike (Chicago): To follow up on your answer to the Tyler Flowers question, if Flowers stays at catcher, does he max out as a solid regular, or is the potential higher than that?
Kevin Goldstein: I don't think he's be huge, but he'll be an above-average regular with power and patience making up for a lower batting average. Dude's swing is loaded with holes.

bkmhoxx (KC): How far behind Carlos Santana is Flowers?
Kevin Goldstein: Pretty darn far. If Santana was the kind of hitter he is and only played first base, he'd be a pretty special prospect, but he's a CATCHER.

martin (Leeds (England)): Jordan Danks, very impressive in the AFL, is that down to his injury healing up?
Kevin Goldstein: That, and the fact that it's Arizona, where everyone hits.

Rob (Rockford, IL ): Have you ever seen a prospect have a year like Dan Hudson?? What can we expect for an encore? Does he have any upside left?
Kevin Goldstein: It's funny. Like I wrote, he exploded, but many scouts also think he's close to maxed out.

Nick (IL): Before the draft, one prominent prospect site said scouts saw some of Mike Stanton in Trayce Thompson. Is that crazy talk?
Kevin Goldstein: It's a TON to dream on, but boy is it risky.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Banned

Was Jon Link ever in our top 10? Did he completely fall off this season?
Old 11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBobbyJenks View Post
Was Jon Link ever in our top 10? Did he completely fall off this season?
He didn't appear to have a very good season. In terms of scouting, I don't know much about him at all.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Interesting.

With the sleeper catcher coming out of Venezuela and Phlegley as a #2 draft pick this year already at prospect #13, I wonder if Kenny might dangle Flowers as trade bait this offseason...

Flowers wasn't impressive with the big club, but had a good season in the minors, so I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but I can't see any way he'd be replacing A.J. in 2010.

Also, I think Hudson has a bigger upside at this point than Richard had at the same time last offseason.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:42 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Interesting.

With the sleeper catcher coming out of Venezuela and Phlegley as a #2 draft pick this year already at prospect #13, I wonder if Kenny might dangle Flowers as trade bait this offseason...

Flowers wasn't impressive with the big club, but had a good season in the minors, so I'm not ready to give up on him yet, but I can't see any way he'd be replacing A.J. in 2010.

Also, I think Hudson has a bigger upside at this point than Richard had at the same time last offseason.
Phegley and Rodriquez aren't even close to sure things, and are very far away.

Flowers has by all accounts improved dramatically behind the plate, and should be an adequate catcher. His stick is one of a slugger. He is going to strikeout a bunch, walk alot, and hit for power. He will be hitting for a low average with a high OBP and power to make up for it. A comp that is thrown around alot is Mike Napoli.

I think Flowers will be starting at the beginning of 2011, but wouldn't be surprised if he is called up sometime in 2010. This all depends on him not being traded of course.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
It probably also speaks to how bare our system had gotten. I don't think one of these guys was in the organization before the start of 2008.
Exactly. The Sox farm system is still not very good contrary to what many people seem to think. It's definitely in the lower third of all baseball. There is no depth at all, and there is/was no elite prospect after Beckham. Losing Poreda/Allen/Carter hurt, but they were certainly valuable trade chips and served a greater purpose. If Flowers/Hudson/3 star prospect(s) are packaged for a slugger this offseason, the system will be decimated and in a very sorry state. (Not that I'm against it) Here's hoping for a strong 2010 draft and the emergence of some diamonds in the rough from the 2009 class.

Oh, and I would be stoked if Trayce Thompson turns into the next Mike Stanton.