White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM
WSI Regular

Default Dayan Viciedo a 10 Million Dollar Conversation

So, is it time to talk about Viciedo? Anyone actually seen him playing for the Barons? I know I was pretty excited but apprehensive when we seemed to have scooped him up despite the concerns other clubs had about him.

Here are his AA numbers: OPS .217/SLG .391 (ouch!)/.280 AVG/OPS .708...

Does he actually have 30 errors?

Hope he's not our future....

Old 09-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Just curious if you ever have seen him actually play?

Also, he's 19 years old playing in AA and still learning the language and the lay of the land in America.

I think it's WAY too premature to be writing him off as a bust.

Edit: Also post AA All-Star game he seemed to find more of a comfort zone and posted an .814 OPS including a .464 slg%.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM
WSI Regular

Everyone expected him to be like Alexei, but he's 7 years younger.

He's a raw talent investment. Youve gotta make those every now and then...even something like Joe Borchard was a bust that still had value several years into it.

Because he's so young, we can take a chance for a few years and then see if he still has intrigue for trading teams at that point. From what I read, his approach at the plate with two strikes is what he should be doing throughout the at-bats.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Also, he's 19 years old playing in AA and still learning the language and the lay of the land in America.

Edit: Also post AA All-Star game he seemed to find more of a comfort zone and posted an .814 OPS including a .464 slg%.
My friend is the play by play guy for the Mobile Bay Bears (who play the Barons a lot), and he said it's amazing how childish he acts. Throws his bat all around, throws his helmet. Glares at umps almost every chance he gets.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

2009 Prospect Duds: Dayan Viciedo
Old 09-21-2009, 01:36 PM
WSI Prelate

He's 20 years old and played his first professional year in AA. Give him more of an opportunity than just one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
My friend is the play by play guy for the Mobile Bay Bears (who play the Barons a lot), and he said it's amazing how childish he acts. Throws his bat all around, throws his helmet. Glares at umps almost every chance he gets.
That sounds like your average big league player to me.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

Viciedo is 20. Has been since March.

He'll get moved to the outfield eventually. He can hit.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Paying him the 10 mil is no different than drafting a highly touted player and giving him a signing bonus.
I'll hold of judgment on him until he has some more playing time under his belt.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:33 PM
WSI Regular

Default Feeling Better

Thanks for the info Voodoochile.....that makes me feel a little better....I haven't seen him play, I was wondering if anyone on the board might have had a look at him....

I hope he turns out well....
Old 09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
WSI High Priest

I was having this same discussion with someone else. What I believe is that sometimes you have to take risks like these, pay $10 million now in order to get someone who has the chance to be a stud at the Major League level. Dayan has a lot of talent, and I'm willing to give him more than one year to harness it. We gave Borchard, Fields, Anderson, etc. more than a year. Sure, we didn't spend that much on them, but we gave them all ample chances.

If in a season or two we don't see any growth, then start raising the questions of him being a bust. From what Voodoo pointed to, he has shown improvement already.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
Paying him the 10 mil is no different than drafting a highly touted player and giving him a signing bonus.
I'll hold of judgment on him until he has some more playing time under his belt.
I agree with you for the most part, but there is one big difference between him and a regular draftee (if I'm understanding his contract correctly). I believe he can become a free agent after 2012. So, even if he eventually succeeds, we might have him for only 1 or 2 seasons before he departs or gets a significant raise.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I agree with you for the most part, but there is one big difference between him and a regular draftee (if I'm understanding his contract correctly). I believe he can become a free agent after 2012. So, even if he eventually succeeds, we might have him for only 1 or 2 seasons before he departs or gets a significant raise.
Nope, neither Vidiedo nor Ramirez can become free agents when their current deals expire. They are under team control for 6 years each. Rick Hahn has confirmed this.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
Nope, neither Vidiedo nor Ramirez can become free agents when their current deals expire. They are under team control for 6 years each. Rick Hahn has confirmed this.
Then they'll be arbitration eligible, I take it?

That might work out.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Immigrant View Post
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain21 View Post
He's also quite the drama queen. Fouled a pitch off his lower leg and took about 15 minutes to get up. I thought he had broke something. He took his position the next inning and if you hadn't seen his previous AB you'd never guess what had happened. That being said I am in no way writing him off. He showed me some plate discipline and some good instincts in the field despite the errors. I'd call him a diamond in the rough project that needs lots of work and more than a little maturing. At this point I would not call him a bust.