White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Just to be picky a quick scan of team pitching stats shows at least KC has given up more UE runs. In addition at 720 the Sox are above average in total runs allowed this season
Damn you. How dare you prove me wrong.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 09-29-2009, 10:12 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
Damn you. How dare you prove me wrong.
I know you were joking and at one time that was a true fact and the Sox led the majors in errors, but in the last month this team has taken a big step forward defensively. In August the Sox were averaging an error a game almost now they are down to ~ .7. I can't find monthly team defense team splits, but the change is dramatic and I'd be willing to bet the Sox are at least league average defensively (by statistical measurement which is obviously a flawed method of analysis) since Rios joined the team.

The turnaround by TCM and Beckham's continued growth makes me very optimistic for the left side of the infields defensive future.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 09-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I know you were joking and at one time that was a true fact and the Sox led the majors in errors, but in the last month this team has taken a big step forward defensively. In August the Sox were averaging an error a game almost now they are down to ~ .7. I can't find monthly team defense team splits, but the change is dramatic and I'd be willing to bet the Sox are at least league average defensively (by statistical measurement which is obviously a flawed method of analysis) since Rios joined the team.

The turnaround by TCM and Beckham's continued growth makes me very optimistic for the left side of the infields defensive future.
I don't think this team will be nearly as bad defensively next year. Beckham has grown into a pretty solid defender at 3rd. He's getting to and fielding balls he wsn't able to get to when he first came up. I think Alexei will be better now that he has a full season at ss under his belt. I also agree that Rios has been a big improvement in CF. I'm not saying BA was bad out there defensively, but with Rios Ozzie hasn't been tempted to platoon him with Wise. And despite a lot of the naysayers on thie board, I like the tandem of Nix and Getz at second. Now, if we can only be sure that Pods gets limited play in the outfield (if he's back next season), and I'm really liking the defensive makeup of this team for 2010.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Of course it is. It's equally possible that it could do better, but to say it couldn't do worse is ignoring many offenses that are/have been worse.
There aren't many offenses in the AL that are doing worse than the Sox. In fact, only one, and that's almost a dead heat. The Sox are next to last in BA, .002 points ahead of last place Seattle, and they are actually tied with Seattle for the least amount of hits in the AL.

Last edited by captain54; 09-29-2009 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post
Team ERA's are mis-leading. For 2009 there are just a handful of players primarily responsible for the team ERA: Buehrle, Danks, Thornton, Dotel, Carrasco, and pre-August Jenks. Post ASB Floyd was a factor, but the rest are arsonists.
The Sox overall team ERA is up near the top of the AL. The Sox bullpen ERA is about the middle of the pack, despite how bad its been. Surprisingly, the Sox bullpen ERA is a bit above some contenders like Detroit and Angels, given up one less ER than the top bullpen, Oakland, and has as many blown saves as Boston, and only 3 more blown saves than the Yankees.

Last edited by captain54; 09-29-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
I don't think this team will be nearly as bad defensively next year. Beckham has grown into a pretty solid defender at 3rd. He's getting to and fielding balls he wsn't able to get to when he first came up. I think Alexei will be better now that he has a full season at ss under his belt. I also agree that Rios has been a big improvement in CF. I'm not saying BA was bad out there defensively, but with Rios Ozzie hasn't been tempted to platoon him with Wise. And despite a lot of the naysayers on thie board, I like the tandem of Nix and Getz at second. Now, if we can only be sure that Pods gets limited play in the outfield (if he's back next season), and I'm really liking the defensive makeup of this team for 2010.

Pods has 2 errors in 127 games....Rios and Dye each have 5 errors.
As long as Pods is in left field, he will not cripple the Sox defensively. With Rios in center, Pods will be helped out. The infield is far more important to shore up and as has been pointed out...they made great strides late in the year. Sign Abreu, and rotate Abreu,Kotsay,Pods, and Carlos between left field,right field, and DH....we need hitting, and Pods leads the team in BA and OBA and SB...and ABreu just hits and steals bases and drives in runs like a machine.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
Is there a stat for how many balls he should've caught that he either took a bad route on or made a bad read? For me, that counts as much or more than actual errors committed.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:01 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
As long as Pods is in left field, he will not cripple the Sox defensively. With Rios in center, Pods will be helped out.

Having fewer errors doesn't mean that you're a good defensive outfielder. I realize that you didn't say that, but by pointing out the numbers it seems that's what you're getting at.

Podsednik's problem is bad reads and a noodle arm. He is fast enough to compensate for some of his poor instincts, but not all of it. While I do agree with your bolded statement above, I would be concerned with having Podsednik counted on as a starting outfielder for the whole year. Probably due to his injury history more than his defense.

EDIT: Spawn - You beat me to it by a few minutes. That's just about exactly what I was trying to say.