White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 05:49 PM
WSI Regular

Default Minor League Affiliates

Mod: I thought this *might* belong in the minor league board, but put it here to be safe.

I live in a place where we get TV stations (via cable) from both Chicago and Peoria. Even though the Peoria Chiefs are just single A, they get a lot of attention (and likely attendance) because their major league affiliate is just a 3-4 hour drive away. It was big news when Big Z came down for rehab, as well as a couple of others.
So, I wonder if anyone from Chicago made a trip especially to Great Falls, Charlotte, or to any of our other affiliates just to watch our affiliated team? Right now, most of our affiliates are way more than a day trip away.
This got me to thinking: would the White Sox organization be better served having their affiliates closer to home? Fans near the affiliates may become fans of the major league team. Fans of the major league team would be better able to see their "team of the future" first-hand.
Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:53 AM
WSI Personality

For a while the White Sox did have an A-ball team in South Bend.

IMO, part of the reason that the majority of the minor league teams are in the South (Carolina, Alabama) are the minor league roving instructors. Having the teams close to each other helps to cut down travel costs.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

I used to watch the Silver Hawks in South Bend growing up, but now try to catch Charlotte when they come into Indy.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
WSI High Priest

I wish the Sox had an affiliate in the Midwest League again. I'd love to be able to go see our prospects play when that team visits the Kane County Cougars!

Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

I attempted to go see a Great Falls Voyagers/Helena Brewers game (Pioneer league) on Monday when I was home visiting family, however mother nature had other plans as she forced a suspension of the game after the first inning with lightening.
<font face=Fixedsys><font size=4><font color=teal><a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3754&stc=1&d=1136225123 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d=113622512  3</a></font></font></font>