White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Ok.

Randar said that if someone were to hit .300 with a .375 OBP and strike out 1/3 PA's...

Ah... I see my error now. I somehow mistook 1/3 for 2/3. My bad.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom View Post
I didn't even use the word "mathematically." It has nothing to do with math and everything to do with the fact that no player has ever sustained the rate that Danks would have to maintain to achieve that BA and continue to strike out at an astronomical rate. Hopefully he'll improve the K rate and carry a good average as a pro, but he doesn't have the power to make it if he doesn't.
Is it that hard to follow a thread?
Old 08-28-2009, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillen4life13 View Post
That's not mathematically possible.
I know it's not exact, but....

Jared Mitchell has 137 PA and 40 K, so 17 extra PA than what we are talking about (1/3 k per PA). He maintains, however, a .423 OBP and a .301 AVG. By just estimating, I'm not sure that Mitchell's OBP would fall under .375 if he K'd a few more times. I'm sure it would be close, but in the grand scheme of things, .370 would be close enough to .375 for me. Of course, by doing the math, it could fall way down there, but I'm not sold it would fall that far.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
Is it that hard to follow a thread?
Not nearly as hard as maintaining a .300 average while striking out one out of every three plate appearances.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I know it's not exact, but....

Jared Mitchell has 137 PA and 40 K, so 17 extra PA than what we are talking about (1/3 k per PA). He maintains, however, a .423 OBP and a .301 AVG. By just estimating, I'm not sure that Mitchell's OBP would fall under .375 if he K'd a few more times. I'm sure it would be close, but in the grand scheme of things, .370 would be close enough to .375 for me. Of course, by doing the math, it could fall way down there, but I'm not sold it would fall that far.
This is a sample size issue. Sure it can be done for a month or even two, but to maintain it for 600+ PA it becomes very tough. No, it's not impossible, but the best hitters in the game have never managed to achieve it over the course of a whole season.

Edit: It's also against A-ball pitching. I'm glad Mitchell is dominating it, but let's not pretend it's not several orders of magnitude harder to do it against MLB caliber pitchers and defenders.

Edit2: It's also only a 29% K rate.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-29-2009, 03:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tom View Post
Not nearly as hard as maintaining a .300 average while striking out one out of every three plate appearances.
I give up.

I was clearly talking to guillen4life who said it was mathematically impossible, but feel free to continue arguing with no one.