White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Default Jordan Danks to the DL

Danks is back on the DL. One would have to imagine it's the wrist injury that was bothering him previously.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=6088
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 PM
WSI Church Elder

Well it's pretty safe to say with Danks' contact issues and ailing wrist injury, he doesn't have a shot at starting on the White Sox anytime next season. I'm just hoping he makes it to Chicago at some point at all.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:06 PM
WSI Personality

A lingering wrist injury would be awful.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
WSI Regular

Hopefully not a cruel question to ask, but based on Rios being here now....

....lets say Danks was healthy. Is there any chance he'd be on the Sox next year anyway?

I'd say no, since he wouldnt be here that soon to just be a backup
Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redus Redux View Post
Hopefully not a cruel question to ask, but based on Rios being here now....

....lets say Danks was healthy. Is there any chance he'd be on the Sox next year anyway?

I'd say no, since he wouldnt be here that soon to just be a backup
No.

Jordan Danks will not be a starter in the bigs if he continues to strike out at the rate he does. His K rate needs significant improvement before he is an option for the Sox.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
No.

Jordan Danks will not be a starter in the bigs if he continues to strike out at the rate he does. His K rate needs significant improvement before he is an option for the Sox.
K rate is a worthless stat. It only matters if it gets worse as he keeps moving up. A strikeout is no different than a popup to 2nd base. It's what he does with the other plate appearances that matters.

Does K rate matter to Russel Branyan? Ryan Howard?

Edit: Not comparing Danks to those guys.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Actually K rate is a very important stat. Especially in the case of a guy like Jordan Danks and his skillset.

Striking out 1 in every 3 at bats is not acceptable unless he projects to hit around 40 homers a year. Jordan will not be doing that. He needs to put the ball in play to make use of his many assets including his speed.

If he doesn't learn to do as such, he will be the second coming of Brian Anderson.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:36 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
K rate is a worthless stat. It only matters if it gets worse as he keeps moving up. A strikeout is no different than a popup to 2nd base. It's what he does with the other plate appearances that matters.

Does K rate matter to Russel Branyan? Ryan Howard?

Edit: Not comparing Danks to those guys.
While I agree the K rate is relatively unimportant when talking about established MLB hitters, I think it's a lot more important when discussing up and coming prospects. I mean, if a guy can't put the ball in play against AA pitchers, how is he ever supposed to handle Major League caliber pitching?
Old 08-21-2009, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Actually K rate is a very important stat. Especially in the case of a guy like Jordan Danks and his skillset.

Striking out 1 in every 3 at bats is not acceptable unless he projects to hit around 40 homers a year. Jordan will not be doing that. He needs to put the ball in play to make use of his many assets including his speed.

If he doesn't learn to do as such, he will be the second coming of Brian Anderson.

So hypothetically, if Danks hits .300 with a .375 OBP and strikes out 1 in 3 PA's, that's not good?

Last year he had limited duty since he signed pretty late, IIRC and he had 14 K's in ~45 PA's, not quite 33%.

This year, before the wrist was bothering him (I'll take May-through-June just for argument's sake, even though he had struggled with the wrist before August), he had a rate of roughly 52 K's in 220 PA's, or less than 25% of his PA's... I would think the improvement would warrant mention, especially since he struggle in June with the wrist.

BTW, he only has 6 SB's on the year, it's not like he's Kenny Lofton or Ricky Henderson, so the "Especially in the case of a guy like Jordan Danks and his skillset" is a pretty confusing statement.

Anyhow, carry on back to your normal statistical analysis without regard for the actual player or situation...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
While I agree the K rate is relatively unimportant when talking about established MLB hitters, I think it's a lot more important when discussing up and coming prospects. I mean, if a guy can't put the ball in play against AA pitchers, how is he ever supposed to handle Major League caliber pitching?
Last year at this time he'd just signed a contract as a Junior coming out of college and this year he's played well at AA when healthy.

Guess that doesn't matter if he strikes out a bunch?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Randar - I think the point is that a high K rate at a low minor league level is a bad thing. I don't think anyone is saying Danks sucks. Nobody is saying he doesn't have a chance. Nobody is calling him a bust...

But guys who strike out a lot a lower levels in the minors have a lot of work to do.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
But guys who strike out a lot a lower levels in the minors have a lot of work to do.
With Rios in CF, he will have time to develop.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Randar - I think the point is that a high K rate at a low minor league level is a bad thing. I don't think anyone is saying Danks sucks. Nobody is saying he doesn't have a chance. Nobody is calling him a bust...

The Southern League is a "Low Minor League Level"? That's a stretch. Most of our op prospects hardly ever even play in Charlotte and come straight from AA (or nearly so). Again, kid has had 1 year of pro baseball, has improved his K:PA ratio despite injury (was better in times of health aka May and July)...

Numbers can be pretty good use in group statistical prediction, but don't even start the discussion on a kid who's battled a wrist injury for half the season if you're not going to take that into account.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
So hypothetically, if Danks hits .300 with a .375 OBP and strikes out 1 in 3 PA's, that's not good?

Last year he had limited duty since he signed pretty late, IIRC and he had 14 K's in ~45 PA's, not quite 33%.

This year, before the wrist was bothering him (I'll take May-through-June just for argument's sake, even though he had struggled with the wrist before August), he had a rate of roughly 52 K's in 220 PA's, or less than 25% of his PA's... I would think the improvement would warrant mention, especially since he struggle in June with the wrist.

BTW, he only has 6 SB's on the year, it's not like he's Kenny Lofton or Ricky Henderson, so the "Especially in the case of a guy like Jordan Danks and his skillset" is a pretty confusing statement.

Anyhow, carry on back to your normal statistical analysis without regard for the actual player or situation...
That's not mathematically possible.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillen4life13 View Post
That's not mathematically possible.
Why not?