White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

Default Question about our Minor League rankings

Does anyone know what our organzation and minor league systems ranks among the other MLB teams?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
Does anyone know what our organzation and minor league systems ranks among the other MLB teams?
38th
Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I heard we moved up to 36th.

All hail The Rick
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
As ranked by whom?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
According to Baseball America the Sox minor league system moved up to 16th, and in a lot of articles they have been saying that the Sox system has improved even more possibly into the Top ten. That was before graduating Beckham/Getz/Richard and the trade of Poreda, Carter. My feeling is that we'll probably stay around the same, 15-19th in the rankings next year due to the overall improvement in the system and higher level hitters and the rapid ascent of Hudson....despite graduating players and the trades.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
According to Baseball America the Sox minor league system moved up to 16th, and in a lot of articles they have been saying that the Sox system has improved even more possibly into the Top ten. That was before graduating Beckham/Getz/Richard and the trade of Poreda, Carter. My feeling is that we'll probably stay around the same, 15-19th in the rankings next year due to the overall improvement in the system and higher level hitters and the rapid ascent of Hudson....despite graduating players and the trades.

thanks for the info.. I thought we were closer to the top 10 but saw an article that Keith Law had us around 22nd
Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
thanks for the info.. I thought we were closer to the top 10 but saw an article that Keith Law had us around 22nd
Reading Keith Law is your first mistake....Baseball America is the BOM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
WSI Prelate

These rankings are completely subjective and are relatively meaningless. That said, the consensus opinion seems that our farm is better than it was before - and that is good.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
These rankings are completely subjective and are relatively meaningless. That said, the consensus opinion seems that our farm is better than it was before - and that is good.
I believe our ratings will slip a little bit next year because of Beckham, Hudson and maybe Flowers & Danks being with the major league team
Old 08-14-2009, 10:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I believe our ratings will slip a little bit next year because of Beckham, Hudson and maybe Flowers & Danks being with the major league team
I wouldn't count any of those guys being on the ML roster beside Beckham of course. Danks has regressed since coming off the DL, Flowers needs a full time role, and I believe the Sox will get a veteran for the 5th starter spot for at least the 1st half of next year. Pitching prospects can be great one year and not not so hot the next...no guarantees with any of them.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
I wouldn't count any of those guys being on the ML roster beside Beckham of course. Danks has regressed since coming off the DL, Flowers needs a full time role, and I believe the Sox will get a veteran for the 5th starter spot for at least the 1st half of next year. Pitching prospects can be great one year and not not so hot the next...no guarantees with any of them.
Agreed, cws. Danks and Flowers will most likely be in Charlotte next year. Hudson might be here, but I'm thinking KW might try to sign a seasoned vet if the terms are reasonable.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Agreed, cws. Danks and Flowers will most likely be in Charlotte next year. Hudson might be here, but I'm thinking KW might try to sign a seasoned vet if the terms are reasonable.
Flowers will be platooning in Chicago, getting AB's at 1st/DH/C. His bat is ready and the Sox like him a lot. It really will be a perfect way to get him acclimated to the majors, if they use him correctly.

The system ranks somewhere in the 15-20 range and that might change significantly depending on what happens. Carter/Poreda are gone, Beckham is at the big league level and right now there aren't a ton of guys from the most recent draft crop shooting up the ranks (Mitchell is legit but a lot of the other guys have a ton of question-marks and are raw...just like Mitchell is).

I'd say the jury is out but I wouldn't expect anything better than 15th and would be surprised with something around 20. Viciedo/Flowers/Hudson/Mitchell/Danks is a solid top 5 (in no particular order).

And you still have plenty of other solid arms like Leesman, Nunez, Shirek, Burdie, etc.