White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default 8/12 Games

Charlotte 6, Pawtucket 2
Whisler (W, 8-10), 8IP 3H, 2ER, 3BB, 2K
Fields, 3-4, 2 2B, RBI
Lillibridge, 2-5, SB (17)
Negron, 4-5, 2B, RBI

Birmingham 9, Carolina 1
Viciedo, 3-5, 2B, 3R
Gallagher, 3-4, 2B, HR, 5RBI
Long (W, 4-3), 6IP, 6H, 0R, BB, 5K

Wilmington 5, Winston-Salem 1, Game 1

Wilmington 1, Winston-Salem 0, Game 2
Axelrod (L, 0-1), 5.1IP, 4H, R

Kannapolis does not play

Casper 8, Great Falls 7

Johnson City 9, Bristol 4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM
jabrch jabrch is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 15,202
Default

Viciedo's slow start was predictable. But the past 2-3 months we have seen why the Sox went after him. Still no idea where he will play, but at some point in time soon he will get his shot.

Does anything think he could be here next year? Is his D anywhere close to acceptable at 3B yet?
__________________
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Viciedo's slow start was predictable. But the past 2-3 months we have seen why the Sox went after him. Still no idea where he will play, but at some point in time soon he will get his shot.

Does anything think he could be here next year? Is his D anywhere close to acceptable at 3B yet?
I was just going to point out that he has been on an extended tear of late. It would be good if he could stay at third since I would like to move Beckham out of there (not that he's been bad but it allows to just get on more big stick in the lineup). He also could be a possibility at 1B.

It's nice to see Fields have a good game in AAA too.
__________________

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Craig Grebeck Craig Grebeck is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rockford
Posts: 6,378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Viciedo's slow start was predictable. But the past 2-3 months we have seen why the Sox went after him. Still no idea where he will play, but at some point in time soon he will get his shot.

Does anything think he could be here next year? Is his D anywhere close to acceptable at 3B yet?
I'd say it's highly doubtful. He'll probably spend the first few months of next season in Birmingham as well. Still has way, way too many weaknesses to be in the major leagues before 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Viciedo's slow start was predictable. But the past 2-3 months we have seen why the Sox went after him. Still no idea where he will play, but at some point in time soon he will get his shot.

Does anything think he could be here next year? Is his D anywhere close to acceptable at 3B yet?

It would be interesting to see if the Sox go Carlos Lee on him Winter Ball and Spring training and tell him to start working in LF or RF.

If he can hit, they will find a place for him and cut their loses with the aging Thome/Dye.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,837
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It would be interesting to see if the Sox go Carlos Lee on him Winter Ball and Spring training and tell him to start working in LF or RF.

If he can hit, they will find a place for him and cut their loses with the aging Thome/Dye.
He's swinging the bat well, but his pitch selection seems to still be lacking. He's not walking at all and still K's at a fairly high rate. Maybe like Alexei he can make that work for him, but he's so young there's no reason to rush him.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
35th and Shields 35th and Shields is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, Il
Posts: 548
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He's swinging the bat well, but his pitch selection seems to still be lacking. He's not walking at all and still K's at a fairly high rate. Maybe like Alexei he can make that work for him, but he's so young there's no reason to rush him.
I agree, leave him down at AA. He's still young for AA ball so even if we leave him down there all of next year would still have him ahead of schedule.

No reason in the world to rush this kid.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
He's swinging the bat well, but his pitch selection seems to still be lacking. He's not walking at all and still K's at a fairly high rate. Maybe like Alexei he can make that work for him, but he's so young there's no reason to rush him.

Yeah, I will be honest and say I have only seen about 2-3 minor league ABs on video for him. So maybe you guys know better.


I just think the Sox would prefer his $2-3 million salary per year needs to start paying off at the big level sooner than later. Danks and Flowers still don't have their service clock running. I'm assuming the clock is already ticking for Viciedo because he's part of the 40 man roster and also signed as a foreign player. We only signed him for 4 years and then I assume he's a FA.

I would love to pick Kenny's brain on what the plan is for this kid assuming the contract status and when he can become a FA.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Carolina Kenny Carolina Kenny is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,048
Default

"No reason in the world to rush this kid."

"I want the world, and I want it, NOW.
Love, Jim M.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Yeah, I will be honest and say I have only seen about 2-3 minor league ABs on video for him. So maybe you guys know better.


I just think the Sox would prefer his $2-3 million salary per year needs to start paying off at the big level sooner than later. Danks and Flowers still don't have their service clock running. I'm assuming the clock is already ticking for Viciedo because he's part of the 40 man roster and also signed as a foreign player. We only signed him for 4 years and then I assume he's a FA.

I would love to pick Kenny's brain on what the plan is for this kid assuming the contract status and when he can become a FA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox
Answered a long-standing question about the contracts of Alexei Ramirez and Dayan Viciedo. Yes, both are under White Sox control for six years like any other drafted player. That makes it a helluva lot easier to be patient with Viciedo.
^^^^
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Yeah, I will be honest and say I have only seen about 2-3 minor league ABs on video for him. So maybe you guys know better.


I just think the Sox would prefer his $2-3 million salary per year needs to start paying off at the big level sooner than later. Danks and Flowers still don't have their service clock running. I'm assuming the clock is already ticking for Viciedo because he's part of the 40 man roster and also signed as a foreign player. We only signed him for 4 years and then I assume he's a FA.

I would love to pick Kenny's brain on what the plan is for this kid assuming the contract status and when he can become a FA.
Actually, half of his contract was paid off this year, as $4 million of the $10 million was a bonus. This is the year we've paid the most for him ($4 million bonus + $1 million for the year). He receives only $1.25 million in each of the next two years and $2.5 million in 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,837
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Kenny View Post
"No reason in the world to rush this kid."

"I want the world, and I want it, NOW.
Love, Jim M.
If they rush him it might lead to blood on the streets because you know... people are strange... ultimately when the music is over they'll turn out the lights and that will of course be... the end... My beautiful friend... the end...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,782
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Actually, half of his contract was paid off this year, as $4 million of the $10 million was a bonus. This is the year we've paid the most for him ($4 million bonus + $1 million for the year). He receives only $1.25 million in each of the next two years and $2.5 million in 2012.

OK, so on a per year basis the rest of the way is not too bad.

How does the service time work for foreign players and FA?

If it's 6 years as the other poster mentioned, then we will be fine because we would get 2 years of development and then 4 years of actual ML service time. If he works out pretty well in those 2 seasons we have him signed for, a good chance the Sox might skip those 2 years of arbitration and sign him to a long term deal.

I was concerned because I thought that it was 4 years and then poof he was done ...FA.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,397
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
OK, so on a per year basis the rest of the way is not too bad.

How does the service time work for foreign players and FA?

If it's 6 years as the other poster mentioned, then we will be fine because we would get 2 years of development and then 4 years of actual ML service time. If he works out pretty well in those 2 seasons we have him signed for, a good chance the Sox might skip those 2 years of arbitration and sign him to a long term deal.

I was concerned because I thought that it was 4 years and then poof he was done ...FA.
Even after his 4 year contract he has two years of arbitration, same as Alexei.

Viciedo since the All-star break .348/.383/.528 for a .911 OPS. 4 HR's in 98 AB's.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-13-2009, 02:23 PM
tm1119 tm1119 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 736
Default

I understand not wanting to rush him, but also there is no reason to baby him either. Hes been playing against some pretty tough competition since he was 16 in Cuba, so its not like hes never been tested before. If he stays on this hot streak, then you bring him into Spring Training next year and as long as he shows continued progress then you start him off in AAA. I dont see any reason for him to not be able to get some playing time in the big leagues next season. The fact that he is hitting for average is a big plus, its only a matter of time before his power kicks in.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.