White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

If Hudson can have even a decent season in the 5th slot of the rotation next year--and the way he is pitching we have no reason to believe he won't--our staff will be awesome, maybe the best in baseball.

Buehrle
Peavey
Danks
Floyd
Hudson

2 aces, 2 guys who would be the top or 2nd starter on half the ML clubs, and a rookie who has all sorts of potential.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
WSI Personality

I just posted this in the Torres thread in the Clubhouse, but I'll post it here too, for completeness. Hudson's been promoted to Charlotte.

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=1190

EDIT: I definitely missed everything at the top. Oops.

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6

Last edited by chaotic8512; 08-06-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM
WSI Regular

He definitely belongs in AAA. I hope he makes his debut at the end of the season, even if it's just one game.. you know give him a taste for next season because we know he'll be up for sometime next season =]
Old 08-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

So, if this Hudson kid turns out to be the Real Deal, where would the Sox' 2008 draft rate with him and Beckham as members?

All hail The Rick
Old 08-06-2009, 08:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
But the rest of the crop is a very iffy crop. Williams is a journeyman, working out on the right time.
So was Carrasco a year ago, now he has to be one of the best long relievers around. Have to give credit to our scouting and coaches in the minor leagues.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Should the Sox consider moving him up from AA to AAA Charlotte now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ... View Post
I guess the White Sox answer to my question is yes.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:57 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
If Hudson can have even a decent season in the 5th slot of the rotation next year--and the way he is pitching we have no reason to believe he won't--our staff will be awesome, maybe the best in baseball.

Buehrle
Peavy
Danks
Floyd
Hudson

2 aces, 2 guys who would be the top or 2nd starter on half the ML clubs, and a rookie who has all sorts of potential.
IF he can continue his minor league success up to the majors next year, that would most definitely be an awesome rotation!

It'll be very interesting to see how he progresses.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
So was Carrasco a year ago, now he has to be one of the best long relievers around. Have to give credit to our scouting and coaches in the minor leagues.
I am not a huge Carrasco fan. He is a decent long man, he will give you innings which is what you need, but a 4 era, a 1.5 whip, its all average. Like I said, he does his job, but I am not blown away by him. And while I really like what Ive seen from Williams, hes thrown 4 innings.

I have no problem giving Buddy Bell a big cheer for his scouting turn around of our farm, and part of that was getting rid of crap coaches and putting real teachers in. I just think you will see that mostly with the Hudsons and Mitchells of the world versus the guys who will always bounce up and down.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Oh I agree, just think it's great to see people coming up who actually can perform, so I'm a bit giddy. Compared to the mopes we used to see and the never ending parade of failed 5th starters and bullpen chumps the Sox have had to deal with the past several seasons, this year has been pretty cool.

I agree it's WAY too soon to consider our system an elite one, but for someone like me who doesn't follow the minors except for the big prospects and the ones you folks hype (reading about them here in MO), it's been way cool to see unexpected success from several people in the past few months...
I will agree with that. Hell, when Torres came up and just battled in his debut, that was AWESOME. It was so much better than the 2004 revolving door of crap. I wish we could produce a little more offensive depth in our farm but it cant happen overnight. I like Nix, but its really tough when you main infield backup hits the mendoza line and isn't very good defensively. Ultimately I think one day Getz will man the utility role.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
I will agree with that. Hell, when Torres came up and just battled in his debut, that was AWESOME. It was so much better than the 2004 revolving door of crap. I wish we could produce a little more offensive depth in our farm but it cant happen overnight. I like Nix, but its really tough when you main infield backup hits the mendoza line and isn't very good defensively. Ultimately I think one day Getz will man the utility role.
The only problem I see with Getz as the utility guy is his value is higher than that. If the Sox can find a better 2B (or move Beckham and sign a 3B or see Viciedo develop) some other team would be willing to give Getz a shot as a starting 2B and let him hit at the bottom of the lineup. He may not be an All Star but plenty of teams would be okay with his production especially with the stolen bases to offset the low OPS. If he continues to hit around .270 and steal 20 bags or more a year, teams would be willing to pay him starter money and the Sox cannot afford to pay that much to have him sit on the bench. In addition if another team values him as a starter, the Sox would be better off trading him for other talent be that minor league prospects or a capable reliever or a utility guy and a prospect. He would have more value in trade than the Sox would get out of him sitting on the bench as it were.

I'm also not sure he's got the range or arm strength to be the backup SS/3B. He was tried there in the minors, but it was brief and there have been other people who have said he's not capable of filling that role successfully (notably Daver who knows a heck of a lot more about the minors and player skill sets than I ever will.)

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-07-2009, 01:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Getz is a good enough hitter to play every day. He is not suited to be a utility man. He doesn't show a whole lot of range to play shortstop and he doesn't have the arm to play 3rd. If anything, Lillibridge would be perfect for that role. He is a good enough fielder to play those positions, including center field, he has the range and the arm strength. At the same time, his bat is not good enough to stick in the everyday lineup (for now).
Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Nix is probably the best defensive infielder we have, he just doesn't have much experience at shortstop.

And as was mentioned, Getz does not have the tools to be a utility man. What's he going to play, second base and maybe some LF if needed? I just don't get why people continue to put that label on him. He's playing fine, and unless your munch who expects a perennial All Star at the position, you should be happy with his production.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I am not a huge Carrasco fan. He is a decent long man, he will give you innings which is what you need, but a 4 era, a 1.5 whip, its all average. Like I said, he does his job, but I am not blown away by him. And while I really like what Ive seen from Williams, hes thrown 4 innings.
Carrasco has been huge in quite a few wins both this year and last. If you ask me, he's the unsung hero of the bullpen.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Nix is probably the best defensive infielder we have, he just doesn't have much experience at shortstop.

And as was mentioned, Getz does not have the tools to be a utility man. What's he going to play, second base and maybe some LF if needed? I just don't get why people continue to put that label on him. He's playing fine, and unless your munch who expects a perennial All Star at the position, you should be happy with his production.
I'm guessing people do so because Getz isn't good defensively and it makes sense for Beckham to play 2B in the future.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
So, if this Hudson kid turns out to be the Real Deal, where would the Sox' 2008 draft rate with him and Beckham as members?
Not to mention Dexter Carter was a key piece of the Peavy deal plus Jordan Danks. And the book isn't exactly closed on guys like Brent Morel, Justin Greene, Leesman, Sauer, Upchurch, etc...

Could end up being one of our best drafts in a long time. Hopefully the 2009 draft class follows suit.