White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 12:38 AM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It will be fun to see what the next 2-3 years of drafts can do. Maybe we can finally find talent in the late first and 2nd and 3rd rounds like a lot of good teams do.
Beckham aside, I'll be happy if they can just find talent in the 1st round.

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
True, but finding talent or havign confidence you can find talent in the Sandwhich Round, round 2, 3 etc. opens up drafting a guy like Mitchell. Mitchell was the anti Kenny Williams pick. He is the anti Broadway. Super High Ceiling with a chance to never make it. Takes some guts to go for a guy like him, a risk reward guy
Old 08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
True, but finding talent or havign confidence you can find talent in the Sandwhich Round, round 2, 3 etc. opens up drafting a guy like Mitchell. Mitchell was the anti Kenny Williams pick. He is the anti Broadway. Super High Ceiling with a chance to never make it. Takes some guts to go for a guy like him, a risk reward guy
I don't think he was an anti Kenny Williams pick at all. Have you noticed how many former football player, high upside athletes he has taken? Outfield and top of the order hitters have been lacking in the system, so it was a bit of a need.

Poreda was a much more risky pick. He was all upside. McCulloch and Broadway were conservative picks, but it's not like the White Sox have made a habit out of that the last decade. And McCulloch was the 29th overall pick.

Hudson is a good example of the Sox finding talent in the later rounds lately. Along with Richard, Getz, Carter, Jordan Danks, Brandon Allen, and Brent Morel.

I think a lot of this has had more to do with the proper development the last couple of years, as it has with a change in draft philosophy.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Banned

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=1190
Old 08-06-2009, 09:57 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I don't miss the days of Kurt Brown or Grady Hall.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ... View Post
Wow, great news.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Lets not get totally ahead of ourselves. Way too small of a sample size to know whats going on with our minors. Hudson is the BEST example thus far as he was a high round talent who because of a couple reasons dropped a little and we corrected him.

But the rest of the crop is a very iffy crop. Williams is a journeyman, working out on the right time. Beckham, well I doubt he got much coaching in his brief stay. He is just the first prospect we have had in forever with that kind of ceiling. Nunez flew threw, I am excited for him, as he has the entire balance of 2 swisher trades on his shoulders. Getz has been good but hardly special.

We are clearly headed in the right direction, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I don't think we have crossed the threshold between "having a respectable farm" and "having a farm to brag about and call too talented".

The best thing this team has done with this, however, is Kenny turning the power over to Buddy Bell. Kenny can wheel and deal with anyone, but scouting talent and drafting he was in the bottom of the league. He saw a weakness, brought in Buddy Bell, and Bell has completely turned the ship around. It will be fun to see what the next 2-3 years of drafts can do. Maybe we can finally find talent in the late first and 2nd and 3rd rounds like a lot of good teams do.
Oh I agree, just think it's great to see people coming up who actually can perform, so I'm a bit giddy. Compared to the mopes we used to see and the never ending parade of failed 5th starters and bullpen chumps the Sox have had to deal with the past several seasons, this year has been pretty cool.

I agree it's WAY too soon to consider our system an elite one, but for someone like me who doesn't follow the minors except for the big prospects and the ones you folks hype (reading about them here in MO), it's been way cool to see unexpected success from several people in the past few months...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

Don Cooper alluded to Hudson in his weekly spot with Mully and Hanley this morning. When talking about possible spot starters for Saturday's game he mentioned Torres, Carrasco, Whisler, and then "a kid in AA who has been throwing lights out" or something to that affect, surely meaning Hudson.

Interesting.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
Don Cooper alluded to Hudson in his weekly spot with Mully and Hanley this morning. When talking about possible spot starters for Saturday's game he mentioned Torres, Carrasco, Whisler, and then "a kid in AA who has been throwing lights out" or something to that affect, surely meaning Hudson.

Interesting.
Just my two cents here,but i hope they save DJ for relief work.Torres certainly earned a start and if they want to give the Hudson kid a crack
at it that's ok by me as well.But i like Carrasco in the pen for long relief
so he's there if the kids/Contreras fall down.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 AM
WSI High Priest

I heard the Coop interview also...had to laugh as he relegated Hudson to ''that kid in AA''....me thinks Coop is playing possum a bit here.
Now, I do think Torres earned the Saturday shot,but I would also bet that Hudson is on speed dial if Torres bombs or Jose does not pick it up. Sept call-up at the least if there is any weak links in the rotation at that point.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkjt View Post
I heard the Coop interview also...had to laugh as he relegated Hudson to ''that kid in AA''....me thinks Coop is playing possum a bit here.
Now, I do think Torres earned the Saturday shot,but I would also bet that Hudson is on speed dial if Torres bombs or Jose does not pick it up. Sept call-up at the least if there is any weak links in the rotation at that point.
Yeah, it's possible based on what Coop said and that he's even on the radar. I was of the mind that he would not be used given his fast ascent and the fact that he's never had 15 professional starts in a season (only 14 at Great Falls last year after 13 at Old Dominion)... I would be hesitant to say the least. Unless there is some kind of injury and none of the Contreras, Colon, Garcia, Peavy, Torres guys can fill in, I just don't see why you need to throw a kid like this into a pennant race?

Agree that we need to keep Carrasco healthy enough to save us from some youngin' or Contreras disaster outings...

Torres earned this start for Saturday. Unless it messes up his throwing schedule, I don't see how they go with anyone else?

Coop seemed to think Garcia may be ready by the next time they needed him (after this Saturday). We shall see. Would like to see him get someone other than 20 year olds out, first, but that's just me.!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's possible based on what Coop said and that he's even on the radar. I was of the mind that he would not be used given his fast ascent and the fact that he's never had 15 professional starts in a season (only 14 at Great Falls last year after 13 at Old Dominion)... I would be hesitant to say the least. Unless there is some kind of injury and none of the Contreras, Colon, Garcia, Peavy, Torres guys can fill in, I just don't see why you need to throw a kid like this into a pennant race?

Agree that we need to keep Carrasco healthy enough to save us from some youngin' or Contreras disaster outings...

Torres earned this start for Saturday. Unless it messes up his throwing schedule, I don't see how they go with anyone else?

Coop seemed to think Garcia may be ready by the next time they needed him (after this Saturday). We shall see. Would like to see him get someone other than 20 year olds out, first, but that's just me.!
Torres pitched last Sunday, so if he doesn't start tomorrow, expect him to be called up. The Knights had a day off yesterday so actually Saturday would be his next expected start.

The only question might be that with Bobby not playing the bullpen will be real short if they send down Nunez. The wouldn't be able to recall him for 10 days as you know, so that might factor into the equation, though I don't know if starting Carasco solves that problem anyway as it will burn out the bullpen for the next several days.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Torres pitched last Sunday, so if he doesn't start tomorrow, expect him to be called up. The Knights had a day off yesterday so actually Saturday would be his next expected start.

The only question might be that with Bobby not playing the bullpen will be real short if they send down Nunez. The wouldn't be able to recall him for 10 days as you know, so that might factor into the equation, though I don't know if starting Carasco solves that problem anyway as it will burn out the bullpen for the next several days.
Couple of options:

- Send down Nunez and recall a guy like Derek Rodriguez, Harrell, Gobble to fill the roster spot until they need another spot start or they can recall Nunez later. Honestly, given Contreras's recent struggles, they may wish to call up Torres for the spot start and then keep him on in case Contreras melts down again. May need more than one long reliever in the short run
- Put Alexei on the 15-day DL retroactive to July 29 or 30th. (would mean he is out for about another 7-8 days. Will he be back sooner than that? I guess the training staff would be better able to answer that question
- Put Jenks on 15-day DL retroactive to July 26th. He would only be out another few days. Depends again on how he is feeling now and he hasn't even thrown in a week or so, IIRC.

Other options are pretty limited I think.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Couple of options:

- Send down Nunez and recall a guy like Derek Rodriguez, Harrell, Gobble to fill the roster spot until they need another spot start or they can recall Nunez later. Honestly, given Contreras's recent struggles, they may wish to call up Torres for the spot start and then keep him on in case Contreras melts down again. May need more than one long reliever in the short run
- Put Alexei on the 15-day DL retroactive to July 29 or 30th. (would mean he is out for about another 7-8 days. Will he be back sooner than that? I guess the training staff would be better able to answer that question
- Put Jenks on 15-day DL retroactive to July 26th. He would only be out another few days. Depends again on how he is feeling now and he hasn't even thrown in a week or so, IIRC.

Other options are pretty limited I think.
If they DL Ramirez, they would need to recall Lilibridge because right now Alexei is the only backup IF they've got other than Kotsay who can only play 1B.

Calling up Torres becomes even more important with Contreras scheduled to start on Sunday. They may need a long reliever then, so if they start Carasco on Saturday the pen will be shot when Contreras takes the mound the next day.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If they DL Ramirez, they would need to recall Lilibridge because right now Alexei is the only backup IF they've got other than Kotsay who can only play 1B.

Calling up Torres becomes even more important with Contreras scheduled to start on Sunday. They may need a long reliever then, so if they start Carasco on Saturday the pen will be shot when Contreras takes the mound the next day.

Forgot about the infield issue. Looks like Nunez or Randy Williams will have to go down unless they decide to put Bobby on the DL. If fact, that might be the smartest thing to do for the stretch run. Don't want him laid up for 10-12 days and be thrown back in there without a couple of side sessions and such.