White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 06:23 PM
WSI High Priest

I have no problem with trading Allen, I just would like to have seen the Sox get a rock solid arm in return. Not exactly sure who I'm talking about but it would have been nice to get something better than Pena. I'm not impressed with him. I hope he proves me wrong.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 08-22-2009, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I have no problem with trading Allen, I just would like to have seen the Sox get a rock solid arm in return. Not exactly sure who I'm talking about but it would have been nice to get something better than Pena. I'm not impressed with him. I hope he proves me wrong.
Eh, Allen was pretty mediocre for Birmingham and pretty awful at Charlotte and is now exploding in the PCL. I doubt he haunts us.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Eh, Allen was pretty mediocre for Birmingham and pretty awful at Charlotte and is now exploding in the PCL. I doubt he haunts us.
I hear you, but couldn't KW have got something better in return?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by UChicagoHP View Post
He was called up to the big show today. No denying he has been absolutely amazing since the trade. 12 HR's in a month...

This trade could end up being a stinker for KW.

"Who is this Chuck Norris? I am Gordon freaking Beckham!"
Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
I hear you, but couldn't KW have got something better in return?
I 'spose. I think Allen's value was deteriorating, as first baseman who struggle at higher levels of the minor leagues aren't hot commodities. KW sees something in Pena, and he's performed of late (a 2.19 ERA since July 24 -- cherry-picked data to be sure, but it's still promising.)

We've made some strange trades with Arizona; some good (Vazquez, Quentin), some bad (this one perhaps, Richar). I'm not too peeved about it, the PCL is a hitter's paradise.

That being said, if Allen rakes, it will look a lot worse. How much more flexible would our lineup 2010 and beyond look with Allen?

Last edited by Craig Grebeck; 08-22-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

And he singles in his first major league at bat.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
And he singles in his first major league at bat.
Actually it was his second.

Congratulations, Brandon.

I predicted to my friend that Brandon's first hit and/or HR would be off of Charlie Haeger. Hopefully Brandon doesn't HR in this game! I don't want to look like an ass

"See you on a dark night."
Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
WSI Personality

Well, I was going to say he just got his first major league hit, but you guys are really fast...

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6
Old 08-23-2009, 12:49 AM
WSI Regular

The only way this trade hurts us is if he becomes a special player at the MLB level

Otherwise, 1b/LF can be attained pretty easily if you wanna spend the dollars.

I think the chance of him being 'special' is low, but it's there. Hence AZ makes the trade.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:19 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm watching Allen bat for the Diamondbacks right now. He hit a shot just foul and then struck out.

If Pena keeps pitching this way, it's a bad trade, regardless of what Allen does. If Pena's decent and Allen isn't, it's a good trade. If Pena's decent and Allen's great it's a bad trade.
Arizona sent us Quentin but they also sent some garbage this way like Richar.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:27 PM
WSI High Priest

It's only a bad trade if we end up having to expend alot of resources to cover 1st base after PK's contract expires next season. Maybe KW could have received more in return...but he was trading from surplus since 1st base is locked up through 2010. I'd also like to give Pena a little more time to work with Coop, etc. to see if he realizes the potential KW saw in him.
2005-2013 Record: 49-38
MLB Parks Visited: 24, MiLB Parks Visited: 11
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM
WSI High Priest

I feel like AZ and the Sox both tried to compensate each other. Sox got ripped on the Chris Young trade initially. Then it seemed like the Diamondbacks got ripped on the TCQ trade, and meanwhile Chris Young is back in AAA. Now the Sox send Allen and I think it all might even out.

Being a GM means keeping good relations with teams in trades, and not trying to screw anyone over too hard. I feel like that's what is going on, and why AZ will continue to be good trade partners for the Sox.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by balke View Post
I feel like AZ and the Sox both tried to compensate each other. Sox got ripped on the Chris Young trade initially. Then it seemed like the Diamondbacks got ripped on the TCQ trade, and meanwhile Chris Young is back in AAA. Now the Sox send Allen and I think it all might even out.

Being a GM means keeping good relations with teams in trades, and not trying to screw anyone over too hard. I feel like that's what is going on, and why AZ will continue to be good trade partners for the Sox.
If a trade doesn't work out, isn't a team's scouting department more accountable than the opposing team's GM? If Chris Young is back in AAA, I can't see how the DBacks would perceive KW as having "fleeced" them. Same with the TCQ trade. The Dbacks staff made the assessment on his talent level and potential.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Considering Pena has been and most likely always will be terrible, I would say Kenny made a bad trade. It's even worse to think Pena is going to take Dotel's spot. It's like a double whammy.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibbs View Post
Considering Pena has been and most likely always will be terrible, I would say Kenny made a bad trade. It's even worse to think Pena is going to take Dotel's spot. It's like a double whammy.
Yeah, nevermind the 3 ER in his last 12.2 innings, or the fact that your definitive and concrete statement lacks any evidence or rationale.