White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default 7/10 Games

Charlotte 7, Gwinnett 6
Quentin, 1-3, RBI, 2BB
Lillibridge, 2-4, 2B, R, RBI
Restovich, 2-4, 2 2B, RBI
Hopper, 2-3, 2R, RBI, 2BB
Box score

Birmingham 3, Mississippi 1
Flowers, 1-2, HR (11), 2RBI (40), 2BB
Retherford, 2-4
Viciedo, 1-4
Gartrell, 1-4
Zaleski, (W, 5-0), 7.2IP, 8H, ER, 5BB, 5K
Fernandez (S, 14), 1.1IP 0H, BB, K
Box score

Lynchburg 12, Winston-Salem 6
Kuhn, 2-4, 2B, 2RBI, .407
Shelton, 3-4
Box score

Lakewood 7, Kannapolis 5
Phegley, 0-5
Short, 2-4, 2B
Gilmore, 2-4
Black, 1-4, 2B, RBI
Box score

Great Falls vs. Ogden
Box score

Bristol 8, Burlington 7

Shoemaker, 2-4
Lee, 2-4, RBI
Box score
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM
mzh mzh is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,996
Default

It makes me sad to not see Brandon Allen in these scores
__________________
Obligatory Attendance Record:
3-3
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,932
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
It makes me sad to not see Brandon Allen in these scores
Speaking of whom, people have said that he was expendable because we have great organizational depth at 1B. Can anyone put names to this depth? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-11-2009, 12:37 AM
cleanwsox cleanwsox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Cincinnasty, Ohio
Posts: 3,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
It makes me sad to not see Brandon Allen in these scores
2-4 with a 3 run HR tonight for the Reno Aces.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:43 AM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Speaking of whom, people have said that he was expendable because we have great organizational depth at 1B. Can anyone put names to this depth? Thanks.
Dayan Viciedo, to name one.

He's playing 3rd base now but with Beckham at 3rd and Dayan's suspect defense, 1st base seems to be the position that best fits.
__________________


"See you on a dark night."
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-11-2009, 08:24 AM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,932
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Dayan Viciedo, to name one.

He's playing 3rd base now but with Beckham at 3rd and Dayan's suspect defense, 1st base seems to be the position that best fits.
From what I've read, he's got a long way to go. Flowers is speculated for 1B too. But right now, as listed 1B, we have?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:04 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
From what I've read, he's got a long way to go. Flowers is speculated for 1B too. But right now, as listed 1B, we have?
Best I can tell, Daniel Black, 14th round pick this year, who is playing at Kannapolis. Obviously, he is years and years away, if he ever does makes it. He is very raw.

So the short and immediate answer is, no, there are no viable prospects whose preferred and proven position already is 1B. Someone is going to have to move to that position from within the system if it is to be filled internally one day.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 27,469
Default

If they're planning on moving Flowers to 1B, why haven't they done that yet? Why are they wasting time trying to develop him as a catcher?

The fact that Tyler is still catching leads me to believe his future is behind the dish.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; Total: 125-99.
Next game: April 2015

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Konerko05 Konerko05 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
If they're planning on moving Flowers to 1B, why haven't they done that yet? Why are they wasting time trying to develop him as a catcher?

The fact that Tyler is still catching leads me to believe his future is behind the dish.
Imagine the offensive potential of a lineup with Beckham at SS and Flowers at C. Assuming both players can handle the positions more than adaquately at the ML level.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Mr. White Sox Mr. White Sox is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
If they're planning on moving Flowers to 1B, why haven't they done that yet? Why are they wasting time trying to develop him as a catcher?

The fact that Tyler is still catching leads me to believe his future is behind the dish.
Due to the incredible lack of catcher depth in the system (I don't think Phegley counts considering he's already playing a fair amount of games at DH, but I could be wrong), they're probably going to keep Flowers at C for as long as possible. If he's not ready to play catcher by the end of 2010, then he'll remain on the team as the 1B/DH. If he is, then he'll back up AJ.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
tm1119 tm1119 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
Due to the incredible lack of catcher depth in the system (I don't think Phegley counts considering he's already playing a fair amount of games at DH, but I could be wrong), they're probably going to keep Flowers at C for as long as possible. If he's not ready to play catcher by the end of 2010, then he'll remain on the team as the 1B/DH. If he is, then he'll back up AJ.
Basically. Also his value is 10X greater at C. .280 20 hr and 85 RBI is an all-star C, but its pretty average as a 1B/DH.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-11-2009, 04:41 PM
KyWhiSoxFan KyWhiSoxFan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
If they're planning on moving Flowers to 1B, why haven't they done that yet? Why are they wasting time trying to develop him as a catcher?

The fact that Tyler is still catching leads me to believe his future is behind the dish.
Yeah, I would agree with that take. From what I have seen from the game boxes, Flowers is throwing out a decent number of runners and is doing well as a catcher, though he seems to DH a lot, too. I can't find overall stats for him for the season, but since June 28, Flowers has thrown out 50% of the runners trying to steal (4 of 8).

The question I have is his height. Do you want a 6'4" guy squatting behind the plate for 140 games a year? What is the toll on his body? Have there been a lot of tall catchers who have been successful? Fisk was 6'2".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2009, 05:00 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Geneva, IL
Posts: 15,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Yeah, I would agree with that take. From what I have seen from the game boxes, Flowers is throwing out a decent number of runners and is doing well as a catcher, though he seems to DH a lot, too. I can't find overall stats for him for the season, but since June 28, Flowers has thrown out 50% of the runners trying to steal (4 of 8).

The question I have is his height. Do you want a 6'4" guy squatting behind the plate for 140 games a year? What is the toll on his body? Have there been a lot of tall catchers who have been successful? Fisk was 6'2".
Brian McCann is 6'3" and Joe Mauer is 6'5"

Those two seem to handle the toll behind the plate fairly well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2009, 05:11 PM
tm1119 tm1119 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 736
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
Yeah, I would agree with that take. From what I have seen from the game boxes, Flowers is throwing out a decent number of runners and is doing well as a catcher, though he seems to DH a lot, too. I can't find overall stats for him for the season, but since June 28, Flowers has thrown out 50% of the runners trying to steal (4 of 8).

The question I have is his height. Do you want a 6'4" guy squatting behind the plate for 140 games a year? What is the toll on his body? Have there been a lot of tall catchers who have been successful? Fisk was 6'2".
Joe Mauer is 6'5
Brian McCann is 6'3
Wieters is 6'5
Salty is 6'4
Piazza was 6'3

And that was just off of the top of my head. It may not be great for longevity, but I'd say we are a long way away from Tyler's knees giving out.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:18 PM
DirtySox DirtySox is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Albany Park
Posts: 11,154
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
Due to the incredible lack of catcher depth in the system (I don't think Phegley counts considering he's already playing a fair amount of games at DH, but I could be wrong), they're probably going to keep Flowers at C for as long as possible. If he's not ready to play catcher by the end of 2010, then he'll remain on the team as the 1B/DH. If he is, then he'll back up AJ.
Phegley will continue to catch. They were easing him back into the baseball routine as he hadn't played for a bit. It's also fair to assume they are trying to limit the amount on his plate as he still has to learn to hit with wood.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.