White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 AM
Banned

Default Daniel Hudson

I had not heard anything about this kid until recently with this ridiculous streak he is on allowing 0 earned runs in 5 out of his last 6 starts.

What did he project out of College when we drafted him?
Does anyone having scouting reports, what does he feature?
Has anyone seen him?

What jumps out me the most is the 142/25 K/BB ratio. Disgusting.

So was I asleep on Hudson or was he suppose to be a top prospect?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Well this was a good start http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=876 from the thread down the page.

Thanks.

Last edited by BadBobbyJenks; 08-05-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Saturday the Sox need a spot starter. DJ Carrasco pitched well last nite for 4 innings. Will it be him again? or Torres again? or possibly Hudson? But I guess that he would have only 3 days rest...so Torres? Hudson has to be under consideration for a sept callup if they need a starter,maybe?
Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Hudson has been fairly dominant in all 3 of his minor league stops this season. From what I hear he has 4 pitches and uses them well. I can see him getting a cup of coffee in September, but I don't see much use in throwing him into a spot start right now. Torres looked just fine in his start.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Should the Sox consider moving him up from AA to AAA Charlotte now?

Old 08-05-2009, 11:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Didn't he just recently get called up to AA? No reason to move him to AAA - there is good competition at AA.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Kid started the season in Kannapolis. I don't think there is so urgent a need anywhere int he system to rush him further. Let him finish the year at AA, IMO... pitch in the playoffs, finish on a high note.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
WSI High Priest

I doubt Hudson would be called up to pitch on 3 days rest.

Huddy has been flat out dominant in AA. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to AAA at some point to finish out the season. He might be the Sox 5th starter at some point next year.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Didn't he just recently get called up to AA? No reason to move him to AAA - there is good competition at AA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
Kid started the season in Kannapolis. I don't think there is so urgent a need anywhere int he system to rush him further. Let him finish the year at AA, IMO... pitch in the playoffs, finish on a high note.
Thanks for clarifying. He's had such good numbers that I was thinking he had been at AA for a longer period.

I guess we'll see him in spring training.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
WSI High Priest

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=9340

BP has a mention of him seemingly after every start.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. He's had such good numbers that I was thinking he had been at AA for a longer period.

I guess we'll see him in spring training.

He easily could be a Sept. call up. But I wouldn't expect to see him throw many innings. It will be interesting to see what the plan is for him next year.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Banned

He is just 22 and said so himself he was surprised to be at AA already. I doubt he moves up to AAA this season. His numbers are tough to ignore though and he admires Josh Beckett. Sounds good to me!
Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 AM
WSI High Priest

Rumor has it Hudson has been promoted to AAA.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Rumor has it Hudson has been promoted to AAA.
Hmmm...seems odd to me. But I trust management to do the right thing.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Hmmm...seems odd to me. But I trust management to do the right thing.
It feels strange to read that and to feel the same way about our minor league system, but recently the quality of players coming up to the majors has made a major jump.

I can't recall the last guy we brought up who completely sucked (well Lillibridge, but he was being forced into action due to injuries).

Williams, Nunez, Beckham, Getz, Torres have all been at least marginally effective in their time with the big league club and obviously two of them are doing solid to great work as starters. I also realize, Williams is a reclamation project and Nunez was just acquired this year, but still, someone in our minor league system is doing a great job of getting people ready to perform when they get called up for whatever reason.

Compared to the disasters of seasons in the past when the Sox were forced to call up minor leaguers this has been a breath of fresh air.

Is it possible the Sox might one day have the dreaded problem of having too much talent? That would truly and totally suck...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:01 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It feels strange to read that and to feel the same way about our minor league system, but recently the quality of players coming up to the majors has made a major jump.

I can't recall the last guy we brought up who completely sucked (well Lillibridge, but he was being forced into action due to injuries).

Williams, Nunez, Beckham, Getz, Torres have all been at least marginally effective in their time with the big league club and obviously two of them are doing solid to great work as starters. I also realize, Williams is a reclamation project and Nunez was just acquired this year, but still, someone in our minor league system is doing a great job of getting people ready to perform when they get called up for whatever reason.

Compared to the disasters of seasons in the past when the Sox were forced to call up minor leaguers this has been a breath of fresh air.

Is it possible the Sox might one day have the dreaded problem of having too much talent? That would truly and totally suck...
Lets not get totally ahead of ourselves. Way too small of a sample size to know whats going on with our minors. Hudson is the BEST example thus far as he was a high round talent who because of a couple reasons dropped a little and we corrected him.

But the rest of the crop is a very iffy crop. Williams is a journeyman, working out on the right time. Beckham, well I doubt he got much coaching in his brief stay. He is just the first prospect we have had in forever with that kind of ceiling. Nunez flew threw, I am excited for him, as he has the entire balance of 2 swisher trades on his shoulders. Getz has been good but hardly special.

We are clearly headed in the right direction, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I don't think we have crossed the threshold between "having a respectable farm" and "having a farm to brag about and call too talented".

The best thing this team has done with this, however, is Kenny turning the power over to Buddy Bell. Kenny can wheel and deal with anyone, but scouting talent and drafting he was in the bottom of the league. He saw a weakness, brought in Buddy Bell, and Bell has completely turned the ship around. It will be fun to see what the next 2-3 years of drafts can do. Maybe we can finally find talent in the late first and 2nd and 3rd rounds like a lot of good teams do.