White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 01:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Me too. That is the school my sister attended, so I went and watched him throw a few times, he has tremendous stuff. But, you have to respect having a head on his shoulders too.
Yeah, it is a tough call. If you can get to Mizzou from Morton, you have to really think about it when you consider you are only a 36th round pick. Thanks again for the story...this and Thompson updates are the only unresolved items that hold my interest from the draft...I'm not holding my breath for Goodwin or Williams.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:59 PM
WSI High Priest

For what it's worth, Morgado's performance in the Cape Cod league has likely increased his demands to sign. Might be a tough one to get a hold of.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Kind of 2nd hand information but my sisters boyfriend is friends with our 36th round pick, Crowley. Originally it sounded like he was a lock to sign, but according to this guy now hes having second thoughts, he wants the education to fall back on. Little back story, the kids dad passed away, and hes very close with his mom. He choose Mizzou over better schools for baseball because of location. He wants to be able to take care of her and wants a fall back plan if baseball does not work. Can't blame him, especially as a round 36 choice it isn't like he will be banking much of a signing bonus.
You (and he) realize that it is common practice for MLB teams to cover educational expenses for the kid to attend college after his baseball career is over, right?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post
You (and he) realize that it is common practice for MLB teams to cover educational expenses for the kid to attend college after his baseball career is over, right?
I do not know Ryan personally, just passing information along. I would guess he knows this but I really don't know.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar68 View Post

We did have at least one draftee last year who did not sign specifically for this reason.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:50 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
We did have at least one draftee last year who did not sign specifically for this reason.
I don't understand, why would he not sign then? If the Sox would pick up the tab on his education after his career ended, then what is the risk?
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 AM
WSI Personality

I've updated the original post and flipped Jones (seems likely to sign) and Morgado (may try to improve value in an independent league, could go either way) in light of the update posted at FutureSox:

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=1007

Basically, it looks like we have 2 of the 5 top unsigned nearly in the bag (Thompson and Jones), with a possible 3rd in Morgado. Goodwin and Dane Williams are longshots, as many of us imagined they would be. Anyone have any further information regarding the other nine unsigned picks? The only one of the nine I've seen anything about was what Domeshot filled us in on regarding Crowley.

EDIT: The most effective I've found articles is using Google's news search... I found a subscription required article about the 50th round pick, Kevin Chapman, saying that he's "expected back" to the University of Florida. Good. I didn't want a Gator in our system anyway!

I've moved him into the unsigned column, the first one.

EDIT #2: Make it two. Jordan Yallen (47th) is committed to Gonzaga.

http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/15589/

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6

Last edited by chaotic8512; 07-23-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 PM
WSI Personality

With the Sox coming to terms with Trayce Thompson, this brings the number of draft picks signed to 38.

Link to article on White Sox.com
Old 07-29-2009, 05:33 PM
WSI High Priest

The consensus is that Thompson signed for less than expected. Here is hoping we can throw some extra money at Morgado.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw218 View Post
With the Sox coming to terms with Trayce Thompson, this brings the number of draft picks signed to 38.

Link to article on White Sox.com
That's easily a team record, no?
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:55 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
The consensus is that Thompson signed for less than expected. Here is hoping we can throw some extra money at Morgado.
Thompson did go above slot however, although admittedly not by much.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
That's easily a team record, no?
Might be. I believe this is the most that the Sox have gotten signed in a while.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:16 AM
WSI Personality

Is there even a readily available source that says which picks signed in each year? I can't even find draft results pre-2001, let alone which ones signed.

Just based on the past several years alone, I would imagine it would have to be a record number of picks signed, or at the very worst top 2 or 3. The best thing about the whole situation is the fact that we got both quality and quantity. Obviously, you can say that the quality is far from determined considering the low success rate of prospects panning out, but nonetheless, it's hard not to be excited, even a little bit.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic8512 View Post
Is there even a readily available source that says which picks signed in each year? I can't even find draft results pre-2001, let alone which ones signed.
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/draft/index.shtml
Old 07-30-2009, 12:26 PM
WSI's 2010 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Apologies if this has been covered before, but has anyone kept tabs on the guys who did not sign last year? Were the drafted this year? Did not signing with the Sox help or hurt them?