White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2009, 08:27 PM
WSI Personality

We're up to 31 without a single draftee declining yet. While the records aren't readily available (to my knowledge anyway; the last link DirtySox posted only goes back to the '06 class), I would imagine we're reaching record territory in the number of picks successfully signed.

Granted, they're mostly players in the middle of the class, but if we can somehow sign all of the picks in the first 10 rounds... well, it's too early to tell if we've righted the minor league development ship, but I would definitely feel good about it if we could sign the top picks, considering the progress of the 2008 class thus far.

I'm a lifetime fan with no connection to Chicago -- living the dream through the TV screen.

All-time Attendance Record: 4-6
Old 06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
WSI High Priest

FutureSox is reporting (via Gonzales) that Phegley has signed for $800,000.

Phegley signs
Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
WSI High Priest

That's great news that we're bolstering the minor league system with signing these guys. I'm real excited to see what this class does.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 AM
WSI Personality

Interesting read on the two picks of which we have yet to hear anything, Matt Heidenreich and Justin Jones:

http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=218

Heidenreich sounds like he could be something good, with him being able to dial up the fastball to 95 mph at such a young age, and with his size (6'6"), he could certainly become something if that curve can continue to develop. It does seem like he's got his share of problems though, with the DUI and all... if we do sign him, I hope we're able to straighten him out.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
New At WSI

Default Heidenreich

Matt Heidenreich was signed to a Bristol contract.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye in the sky View Post
Matt Heidenreich was signed to a Bristol contract.
Nice, welcome to WSI.

BTW, who's your source?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
New At WSI

I'm pretty connected in the So Cal baseball scene. When guys sign out here word travels fast
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic8512 View Post
Interesting read on the two picks of which we have yet to hear anything, Matt Heidenreich and Justin Jones:

Heidenreich sounds like he could be something good, with him being able to dial up the fastball to 95 mph at such a young age, and with his size (6'6"), he could certainly become something if that curve can continue to develop. It does seem like he's got his share of problems though, with the DUI and all... if we do sign him, I hope we're able to straighten him out.
I like the comment from Blake about him at the bottom of the page. He says he's a friend of Heidenreich and Heidenreich will be the LeBron James of baseball once he starts working on a game he's never tried to play (though, my guess, and this is just a guess, is that's a bit of an exaggeration).
Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I like the comment from Blake about him at the bottom of the page. He says he's a friend of Heidenreich and Heidenreich will be the LeBron James of baseball once he starts working on a game he's never tried to play (though, my guess, and this is just a guess, is that's a bit of an exaggeration).
Yeah, I read that too. After seeing that, all I could think of had to do with cell phones, airports, and celling... err, selling.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye in the sky View Post
I'm pretty connected in the So Cal baseball scene. When guys sign out here word travels fast
Just went to Matt Heidenreich's myspace page and he has the White Sox logo on his background already FWIW.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Just went to Matt Heidenreich's myspace page and he has the White Sox logo on his background already FWIW.
Glad to know I'm not the only one "randomly" running across draftees' Myspace pages.

EDIT: http://www.pe.com/sports/breakout/st...1.4a37266.html

Not to say I don't appreciate the insider info, but I found something a little more concrete on Heidenreich in an article about UC Riverside's upcoming rotation. Their coach says he's expected to sign, so I have moved him into the appropriate category.

Last edited by chaotic8512; 06-24-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic8512 View Post

I really hope we sign Justin Jones, I watched an interview with him and he is very cerebral and articulate for a kid coming out of high school. He has that Barry Zito vibe (hopefully minus the cheesy guitar playing) that translates to good poise on the mound.

It would be great to sign Dane Williams to really fortify our pitching depth in the minors. I imagine that signing Goodwin is a remote possibility, but hopefully they give him the Jordan Danks treatment and make a convincing sales pitch to sign him, if only to leave a good impression two years from now when he's draft eligible again.

It's pretty impressive that they've been able to get so many of the picks signed.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:48 AM
New At WSI

Default Thompson

Here's another Sox draft pick out my way. I hope we get him signed, his swing looks really good.

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2009/0...mpson-video-2/

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2009/0...mpson-catchup/

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2009/0...ompson-report/
Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 AM
MMXXIII

I really hope the Sox make Goodwin an offer he can't refuse, there's a lot of talent in this draft (IMO) and adding a guy like him in the 17th round makes this an A+ draft and really shows that the Sox are committed to taking high ceiling guys.

That said, I also was pissed we didn't sign Kyle Long last year, and well, that decision has since worked out.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 AM
WSI Personality

This news is about 11 days old, but Justin Jones is leaning towards signing with the Sox over going to Cal (second to last line of article).

http://www.modbee.com/sports/highsch...ry/743632.html