White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2009, 06:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just saw a highlight. He smoked that ball.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
This Shlubs fan must have been clueless about where he's ending up.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Congrats Jared! Tournament's Most Outstanding Player
Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Named the NCAA tourny's Most Outstanding Player!!!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
WSI High Priest

LSU wins the title tonight with an 11-4 victory. Jared Mitchell was the tournament's most outstanding player. He homered in the first inning to give the Tigers a 3 run lead. He was also making plays defensively, and hitting the ball hard throughout the tournament. Let's get this kid signed.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
LSU wins the title tonight with an 11-4 victory. Jared Mitchell was the tournament's most outstanding player. He homered in the first inning to give the Tigers a 3 run lead. He was also making plays defensively, and hitting the ball hard throughout the tournament. Let's get this kid signed.
I have no doubts that he will get signed... I have faith!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
... Let's get this kid signed.
He seems to be a great athlete who could be a great baseball player. I don't know if signing him will be more difficult because of his success in Omaha.

Even so, he's a couple of years away from the majors.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
He seems to be a great athlete who could be a great baseball player. I don't know if signing him will be more difficult because of his success in Omaha.

Even so, he's a couple of years away from the majors.
But he is "ridiculously excited to join the White Sox."
Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
I don't know if signing him will be more difficult because of his success in Omaha.
It didn't stop us from signing Beckham rather quickly, so I doubt this will cause much of a problem.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 PM
WSI Personality

I would be shocked if he does not sign fairly soon for something close to slot. (Maybe last year's slot.) It's not like he was a top ten pick or expected to be a top ten pick. The Sox are about as high as anyone thought he would go. He should be pretty satisfied with where he was picked. I bet he's in Great Falls by July 4th.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:14 AM
WSI Personality

Let's get him signed and start getting him his reps. Assuming he does sign quickly, I wonder if the Sox will consider sending him to the AFL like Beckham last year...
Old 06-25-2009, 01:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
My impression from listening to the announcers of the college world series is that Les Miles let him skip spring practice and play baseball this year because he knows Mitchell's professional future was in baseball, not football. I think he was still on a football scholarship. Maybe someone familiar with LSU can chime in.

Mitchell was on a full ride football scholarship to LSU.
College baseball teams are only allowed 11.7 schollies per year, so if they can get a player or 2 on a full ride in football, it really helps the number crunching.

Les Miles (our football coach) normally wouldn't allow a guy on full ride to skip spring practice for any reason.

However, in Mitchell's situation things were a lil different. He was projected as a high round draft choice in baseball, and would be no better than 5th or 6th WR on the football depth chart.

Mainieri (our baseball coach) asked to keep Mitchell through spring, because it was in best interest of both the team and the kid.

Dude is a tremendous talent. He's gotten a lot better at hitting lefties down the stretch.
Early on, he would either not swing, or hack wildly at terribly low and outside pitches.
Most of this, is because he hadn't seen a ton of lefty pitchers. Early in his career here, he would sit against Lefty starters. Now that he's facing them, he is starting to recognize pitches and feel more comfortable facing them.

If he can continue to improve like this, he has a future in the big leagues.
Wishing him the best of luck, I always like to follow our former players at the next level.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
Let's get him signed and start getting him his reps. Assuming he does sign quickly, I wonder if the Sox will consider sending him to the AFL like Beckham last year...
He is not even close to AFL ready.

We have to be ANTI BECKHAM APPROACH with Mitchell. This kid has the tools to succeed. I don't know if he will hit for much Average in the pros, but he has the strength to develop Power if he learns to square pitches up, and tremendous speed.

However, there has been a lot of talks that his swing will need to be blown up and completely reconstructed. You have to look at Mitchell and forget everything the kid has done, and see him as a 3 year or more project who needs to be built from scratch.

If we rush him, he will bust, if we do this right, maybe we get a guy who can hit 260-270 with a 350 obp with power and speed.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
He is not even close to AFL ready.

We have to be ANTI BECKHAM APPROACH with Mitchell. This kid has the tools to succeed. I don't know if he will hit for much Average in the pros, but he has the strength to develop Power if he learns to square pitches up, and tremendous speed.

However, there has been a lot of talks that his swing will need to be blown up and completely reconstructed. You have to look at Mitchell and forget everything the kid has done, and see him as a 3 year or more project who needs to be built from scratch.

If we rush him, he will bust, if we do this right, maybe we get a guy who can hit 260-270 with a 350 obp with power and speed.
+ 1

My thoughts exactly...

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 06-25-2009, 03:32 PM
WSI High Priest

From what I saw in the CWS, Mitchell's biggest thing to improve is his understanding of the strike zone. Hopefully that is something he can solve just by playing more and seeing more pitches. Defensively, he should be able to play any position in the outfield. I also agree that the Sox should take their time with him. He has a lot of things to refine.