White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Banned

Default We just drafted some speed

We took a center fielder from LSU also was a wide receiver. Mlb studio anylists like him very much
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
WSI Regular

The MLB Network studio analysts have liked every pick. They haven't said one bad thing about a single player.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimesoxguy View Post
We took a center fielder from LSU also was a wide receiver. Mlb studio anylists like him very much
I like the pick a lot. Mitchell shows about as much upside as you can expect at 23.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:04 PM
WSI Personality

Another former football player?

Kenny, you don't say!

"Our goal is to win the Super Bowl every year."
Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Scouting report on mlb.com sounds like Jerry Owens version 2.0

2014 Attendance Record: 15-11
2013 Attendance Record: 11-22
2012 Attendance Record: 29-22
2011 Attendance Record: 15-19
2010 Attendance Record: 18-10
2009 Attendance Record: 5-9
2008 Attendance Record: 21-10
2007 Attendance Record: 6-14
2006 Attendance Record: 20-9

https://twitter.com/KJKobs
Old 06-09-2009, 08:07 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodiggity59 View Post
Another former football player?

Kenny, you don't say!

"Our goal is to win the Super Bowl every year."
A large percentage of college athletes that play baseball also play football or basketball, because scholarships for baseball are not something available in abundunce.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Don't love it, don't hate it. At least it isn't a super safe pick. Risky with alot of upside.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
A large percentage of college athletes that play baseball also play football or basketball, because scholarships for baseball are not something available in abundunce.
And most of the time, they are just partial scholarships. i.e. just books, just board, tuition, etc.

Few DI baseball schools have a full allotment of schollies to distribute.
"I don't have a gamblin' problem. I'm winnin', that's not a problem. That's like sayin' Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't you pour some sugar on that?" - Earl Hickey
Old 06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
WSI Personality

Big D - I think Harold Reynolds and company are psychologically programmed by MLB network to like every pick and like the overall draft process.

I spoke with a scout from another team about Mitchell, who he had seen play a few times. He likes the kid from a talent and makeup perspective, but there are two distinct opinions on Mitchell. Some think that his upside is huge, as he has major league speed and defense today, and will develop his bat as he commits to the sport full time. However, the other camp thinks that his athleticism has allowed him to keep up with college pitching, and that he will be overmatched at the next level.

So, his downside sounds like Jerry Owens, while his upside sounds like Mike Cameron.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdommer View Post
Big D - I think Harold Reynolds and company are psychologically programmed by MLB network to like every pick and like the overall draft process.

I spoke with a scout from another team about Mitchell, who he had seen play a few times. He likes the kid from a talent and makeup perspective, but there are two distinct opinions on Mitchell. Some think that his upside is huge, as he has major league speed and defense today, and will develop his bat as he commits to the sport full time. However, the other camp thinks that his athleticism has allowed him to keep up with college pitching, and that he will be overmatched at the next level.

So, his downside sounds like Jerry Owens, while his upside sounds like Mike Cameron.
So either way, not a leadoff hitter?

Just take the pen.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Jerry Owens was never confused as having major-league quality defense, and he was an undrafted FA.

This kid has a heck of a lot of potential, but the Sox will have to take it a bit slower on the development track as to not overmatch him and give him time to grow as a hitter. He's got an odd open swing that will need to be corrected. Could be a 40/20 man, as he does have a little pop. I'm not sure to compare him to, since he's a really good athlete but a bit raw as a MLB prospect. Maybe Jared Mitchell's upside would be someone equal parts of current-day Abreu and Granderson. Downside would be more like a weaker version of Fred Lewis.

My only issue is that it's a bit of a reach at the end of the first. He may have been available at the next Sox pick.

Last edited by russ99; 06-09-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Jerry Owens was never confused as having major-league quality defense, and he was an undrafted FA.

This kid has a heck of a lot of potential, but the Sox will have to take it a bit slower on the development track as to not overmatch him and give him time to grow as a hitter. He's got an odd open swing that will need to be corrected. Could be a 40/20 man, as he does have a little pop. I'm not sure to compare him to, since he's a really good athlete but a bit raw as a MLB prospect. Maybe Jared Mitchell's upside would be someone equal parts of current-day Abreu and Granderson. Downside would be more like a weaker version of Fred Lewis.

My only issue is that it's a bit of a reach at the end of the first. He may have been available at the next Sox pick.
I doubt he would have been available at the next pick, he's got too much upside. I question whether we can fix his holes and develope him to reach that potential.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimesoxguy View Post

Does he actually have any baseball ability or are we looking at another Borchard or Owens?

Bob
Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post

Jerry was a second round draft pick in 2003. Hardly an undrafted FA.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Jerry was a second round draft pick in 2003. Hardly an undrafted FA.
What is your take on Mitchell? For? Against? Gummi Bears?