White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
WSI Personality

Default Scott Boras asking for 50 million dollar signing bonus for Strasburg

This is totally crazy.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....html?bcnn=yes
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 PM
WSI Guru

I have seen that number numerous times, and each time it's been nothing but speculation.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 1-1.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
WSI High Priest

MLB should draw the line with this garbage now.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Not paying such a bonus would be a good place to start.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Not paying such a bonus would be a good place to start.
Someone would pay it.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Someone would pay it.
That's not the point. The worst team in the league is supposed to be rewarded with the first pick to get them back on track to building a better future. When Borass pulls out these ridiculous numbers, it's out of hand. Sure, the kid should get paid in case he never pans out. But 50 million is crazy. Top picks shouldn't only be affordable to the Yankees and Red Sox. MLB needs to fix this.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
WSI Regular

It's simply a negotiating tactic. Start out asking for a completely ridiculous figure, in order to make something like $15 million (which would still be the biggest bonus ever paid to a draft pick) seem reasonable. Boras is no moron; he knows he's not going to get that, but it can't hurt to ask (especially since the Nationals aren't exactly the smartest franchise in MLB themselves).
Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
That's not the point. The worst team in the league is supposed to be rewarded with the first pick to get them back on track to building a better future. When Borass pulls out these ridiculous numbers, it's out of hand. Sure, the kid should get paid in case he never pans out. But 50 million is crazy. Top picks shouldn't only be affordable to the Yankees and Red Sox. MLB needs to fix this.
The 50 million number I've only seen baseball writers cite as pure speculation.

I don't blame Boras for trying to get as much money as is possible for one of the most well-regarded top picks ever. That's how the system is currently set-up, it allows for that.

If MLB wants to change that, more power to them.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
It was the guaranteed big money contracts for rookies which caused the NBA to institute a rookie signing structure. If this crap keeps up, I am sure MLB will do it too. The players want the money to be given to veterans who have paid their dues, not some kid who is headed for rookie ball...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

The Players Association has to approve any slots (ala the NBA) for draft picks' salaries.

The Players Association is heavily influenced by the agents.

Do the math.

All hail The Rick
Old 06-09-2009, 03:08 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
It was the guaranteed big money contracts for rookies which caused the NBA to institute a rookie signing structure. If this crap keeps up, I am sure MLB will do it too. The players want the money to be given to veterans who have paid their dues, not some kid who is headed for rookie ball...
I honestly doubt it. There's no salary cap in baseball, so it's not like draft picks getting big bonuses is costing veterans money. And there are only a handful of draft picks every year that get the huge bonuses. There are teams that spend less than $10 million to sign every one of their draft picks. Freakin' Carlos Silva makes $10 million a year, so that money isn't much for most big league teams. It seems like a bigger problem this year because of Strasburg, but not every draft is going to have a prospect as good as him.

Last edited by Big D; 06-09-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Buster Olney had a good article today about how the Nationals should make an offer of about $11 million and let that be that. If a college junior is going to turn that down, well, I would question his intelligence then. Black Jack also had an article pointing out that Strasburg seldom faced top college teams and when he did, he didn't win and his ERA fell down to earth (it was 3 something). I think that asking for this kind of money for a guy who's never thrown a pitch in any professional league is outrageous. Boras has evidently made the comparison between this kid and Dice K, but Dice K faced professional hitters in Japan and again in the WBC. Who the hell has this kid faced to earn that kind of money?

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 AM
WSI High Priest

I think 11-12 million is appropriate. As we've said, this guy needs to get acclimated to wooden bats and make adjustments. He has all the tools to be a great pitcher, but only time will tell. A certain guy that played on the Northside was supposed to be the next Tom Seaver. Well, it didn't happen.

From what I've seen, Strasburg seems to be a lot more grounded. It'll be interesting to see what happens. The Nats offered $200 million to Teixeira, so they will spend.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

They will probably "break the bank" with a $20-25 million bonus, which will keep them on an upward trend to where another Boras guy eventually gets $30 million on upward. The only way I think he gets what Boras is asking is if he agrees to a very long contract and gives us more years where he would be onto his first "big" contract.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:57 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
They will probably "break the bank" with a $20-25 million bonus, which will keep them on an upward trend to where another Boras guy eventually gets $30 million on upward. The only way I think he gets what Boras is asking is if he agrees to a very long contract and gives us more years where he would be onto his first "big" contract.
It's just stupid to pay some kid that much money fresh out of HS or college. Might as well go play craps in Vegas with the money. You stand about the same chance of getting a good return on your investment...