White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
My GOD!!! There are already too many inexperienced/unseasoned guys on this roster as it is, and you want to add another one?
Not necessarily - just wondering what Beckham's done that Danks hasn't. I wouldn't be opposed to a full on youth movement, though, to tell you the truth.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post

You're looking at and comparing two sample sizes in Birmingham.
True, but Danks' numbers are exactly in line with his numbers at other levels.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Looking at the better hitters of recent memory, they all seemed to have pretty good numbers in the minors.
Well sure, but there are plenty of others who did who failed dramatically at the major league level because a long looping swing on a guy with power is okay when the pitchers are only hitting 85-87 on the gun for the most part and still working on developing their breaking stuff, but take that up a notch and the numbers won't bear out.

I have no idea if that's the case with Danks. I'm just giving an example. All I'm saying is if all you have is stats to go on, you don't have enough information.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Not necessarily - just wondering what Beckham's done that Danks hasn't. I wouldn't be opposed to a full on youth movement, though, to tell you the truth.
Great way to ruin a youth movement is to bring up a bunch of highly rated youths before they are ready to face Major League pitchers...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
We are probably one of the youngest teams in the majors right now...
Old 06-06-2009, 11:14 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
We are probably one of the youngest teams in the majors right now...
Joking?
Old 06-06-2009, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Why was Beckham drafted #8 overall? Why was he the 20th best prospect in all of baseball at the start of the season?

You're looking at and comparing two sample sizes in Birmingham. Give Danks some time to develop; he still needs to cut down on his strikeouts.

Exactly. He has 54 strikeouts in 218 at bats this year. That wouldn't translate well at the top level.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I would be. You don't throw a bunch of youth into the ring of fire known as MLB all at the same time. You bring in a couple, let them get comfortable, and then bring up another guy or two gradually. It is stupid to have too many guys "learning" the MLB game at the same time. The only way they can learn is to have at least several other teammates there to give them advice and be there for support...and this is even MORE crucial considering who this team has for its hitting coach.

26 Other Games I have (all season tickets): 10/11 vs. Buffalo (home opener), 10/16 vs. Calgary, 10/21 vs. Philadelphia, 10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 2/24 vs. Florida, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Old 06-06-2009, 11:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Joking?
I guess we're not as young as i originally thought.. But we are still pretty young... The average age of our line up today is 28, and there are extremes of experience on this team as well. Guys with a lot of experience, your AJ, Dye, Konerko, Thome... And not much experience at all, your Getz, Nix, Anderson, Fields.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Great way to ruin a youth movement is to bring up a bunch of highly rated youths before they are ready to face Major League pitchers...
Amen. The philosophy you describe is one that turns teams into perennial suckfests like Pittsburgh and Kansas City.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:42 PM
WSI Personality

Danks, Vicideo, Flowers, Allen, Poreda, etc. will all be in Chicago soon enough, but they are not ready yet. Rushing them can only hurt their long-term development.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
You'd keep Pods long term, i.e. beyond 2009. even if it blocked a top prospect?
If that prospect is not ready, yes. Danks will not be ready by 2010.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 06-07-2009, 07:51 AM
WSI Regular

Location: Springfield, Va (Northern Va - outside Washington, DC)
Default Time line on Jordan Danks?

When will Jordan Danks get on the Beckham express to Chicago? His AA numbers are nearly eye watering and he is hitting lead off....

November November Hotel Sierra
Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Sometime in 2010. Probably a mid season callup, but I wouldn't be surprised if he broke camp with the team.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Many of the reasons have already been stated. Beckham is a more advanced and polished product and is better suited to hit major league pitching right now. Stats don't tell the whole story. Gordon has great pitch recognition and a very solid swing. It is generally unanimous amongst scouts that he is ready.

Jordan Danks is opening eyes, but he doesn't have the reputation or track record that Gordon does. He strikeouts too much. He finished Winston-Salem with a near 30% K rate. This number has gone down slightly in AA, but he still needs to show he can maintain it. Lastly, Jordan has a very long loopy swing. It takes him a while to unload. He has to work on cutting it down especially in a pitcher's count. If he continues to cut the K rate while putting up these numbers, you will see him soon enough. Best case scenario he might break camp with the team in 2010, but I would expect a 2010 midseason callup at some point.