White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,043
Default If Beckham's up, when Danks?

Supposed outstanding defensive CFer who has significantly outhit Beckham this year. If you're going with Beckham, why not Danks? Pods has helped, but clearly not a long term option - why not just go with Quentin/Dye/Anderson/Danks?
__________________
A bad idea is better than no idea at all- Hawk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:48 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Danks isn't as polished as Beckham. That's why Beckham was #8 overall.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Danks isn't as polished as Beckham. That's why Beckham was #8 overall.
Then why are his numbers better? From all reports Danks is polished defensively, while Beckham's a bit rough. How's that equate to more polished?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:50 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,726
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Supposed outstanding defensive CFer who has significantly outhit Beckham this year. If you're going with Beckham, why not Danks? Pods has helped, but clearly not a long term option - why not just go with Quentin/Dye/Anderson/Danks?
Not as much urgency to fix the OF with Quentin due back soon and Pods expected to take over the CF/LOH role seems like one reason, but obviously the guys who evaluate talent don't think he's as ready as Beckham is.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:52 PM
Rdy2PlayBall Rdy2PlayBall is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,396
Default

If Pods plays just like this I'd want him long term for sure. Don't try to predict a players career. As for the Danks experiment... I don't even like the Beckham one going on right now. Leave the roster the way it is, especially if Fields is playing the way he has been.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:54 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,726
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Then why are his numbers better? From all reports Danks is polished defensively, while Beckham's a bit rough. How's that equate to more polished?
I don't know that they are better. Beckham had 17 doubles in 147 AB that's on pace to hit 70+ over a full season.

Also, you don't promote strictly based on stats. Obviously the people who evaluate this stuff felt Beckham was ready to move to AAA and when he continued to tear the cover off the ball, gave him his chance in the majors.

Have you seen any of these players play or are you strictly going off of stats?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:55 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,043
Default

You'd keep Pods long term, i.e. beyond 2009. even if it blocked a top prospect?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:56 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I don't know that they are better. Beckham had 17 doubles in 147 AB that's on pace to hit 70+ over a full season.

Also, you don't promote strictly based on stats. Obviously the people who evaluate this stuff felt Beckham was ready to move to AAA and when he continued to tear the cover off the ball, gave him his chance in the majors.

Have you seen any of these players play or are you strictly going off of stats?
Purely stats and reports of advanced defensive skill. The .332/.411/.528 career line is hard to overlook.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Rohan Rohan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Purdue University
Posts: 2,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdy2PlayBall View Post
If Pods plays just like this I'd want him long term for sure. Don't try to predict a players career. As for the Danks experiment... I don't even like the Beckham one going on right now. Leave the roster the way it is, especially if Fields is playing the way he has been.
I definitely would not keep Podsednik long term...
If he keeps playing like he is now i'll keep him next year.. But beyond that, not a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 47,726
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Purely stats and reports of advanced defensive skill.
Minor league stats don't man jack...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:01 PM
chisoxfanatic's Avatar
chisoxfanatic chisoxfanatic is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Brent Seabrook's guest room
Posts: 25,790
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Supposed outstanding defensive CFer who has significantly outhit Beckham this year. If you're going with Beckham, why not Danks? Pods has helped, but clearly not a long term option - why not just go with Quentin/Dye/Anderson/Danks?
My GOD!!! There are already too many inexperienced/unseasoned guys on this roster as it is, and you want to add another one?
__________________
2013-2014 Blackhawks Attendance Record: 19-7-5 (Next Game: 9/23 vs. Detroit Red Wings - Preseason Opener)

26 Other Games I have (all season tickets): 10/11 vs. Buffalo (home opener), 10/16 vs. Calgary, 10/21 vs. Philadelphia, 10/28 vs. Anaheim, 11/2 vs. Winnipeg, 11/7 vs. Washington, 11/9 vs. San Jose, 11/16 vs. Dallas, 12/5 vs. Montreal, 12/16 vs. Minnesota, 12/21 vs. Toronto, 12/23 vs. Winnipeg, 1/4 vs. Dallas, 1/6 vs. Colorado, 1/16 vs. Winnipeg, 1/18 vs. Dallas, 1/20 vs. Arizona, 2/9 vs. Arizona, 2/11 vs. Vancouver, 2/20 vs. Colorado, 2/22 vs. Boston, 2/24 vs. Florida, 3/6 vs. Edmonton, 3/17 vs. New York Islanders, 3/27 vs. Columbus, 4/2 vs. Vancouver
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Chicken Dinner Chicken Dinner is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Poolside on the patio in AZ
Posts: 4,297
Default

We have Wise!
__________________
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner !!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
TheVulture TheVulture is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,043
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Minor league stats don't man jack...
Looking at the better hitters of recent memory, they all seemed to have pretty good numbers in the minors.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Rdy2PlayBall Rdy2PlayBall is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
I definitely would not keep Podsednik long term...
If he keeps playing like he is now i'll keep him next year.. But beyond that, not a chance.
If he plays like this next year you might want him another year... If Danks can pull off the same stats with his defense, he would be a much better option though. If Pods is good though he could be a great trading bid if the Sox don't want him long term.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-06-2009, 11:07 PM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Then why are his numbers better? From all reports Danks is polished defensively, while Beckham's a bit rough. How's that equate to more polished?
Why was Beckham drafted #8 overall? Why was he the 20th best prospect in all of baseball at the start of the season?

You're looking at and comparing two sample sizes in Birmingham. Give Danks some time to develop; he still needs to cut down on his strikeouts.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:39 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.