White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
WSI Personality

Default Pretty soon, might have to put Floyd in the bullpen for awhile

He really is a mess. Maybe put him on warning like Contreras. We really cannot afford more horrible starts by Floyd.

If we move Floyd to the pen, then we can give Carrasco a chance to start. I know that Carrasco is doing well in the bullpen, but right now starting rotation needs help. Maybe even Broadway should get another look.

Or bring up somebody like Torres and put Gobble back down. Gobble really hasn't pitched great in AAA to warrant a call up. Guess he's lucky that he is a lefty with some experience.

Sadly, I am starting to miss Javier Vazquez. haha!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Amazing how this team has fallen apart. I knew Floyd wouldn't do as well as he did last year, but this is rediculous. I hope they can rebound in time. At least it's still May.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1
Old 05-11-2009, 09:50 PM
WSI Prelate

I dunno if we should take Carrasco out of a role he's comfortable in. I remember when we moved Linebrink to closer when Bobby was on the DL; it resulted in a walk-off at Wrigley, for one. I know it has nothing to do with Carrasco, but it shows what can happen when a pitcher is taken out of his comfort zone.

I'm not ready to give up on Floyd just yet; he showed some signs of 2008 Floyd tonight (though they were few and far in between, that's true).

7-15-11

Team Mexico
Team USA
Es mejor vivir un día como un león, que cien años como un cordero.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoCrede View Post
I dunno if we should take Carrasco out of a role he's comfortable in. I remember when we moved Linebrink to closer when Bobby was on the DL; it resulted in a walk-off at Wrigley, for one. I know it has nothing to do with Carrasco, but it shows what can happen when a pitcher is taken out of his comfort zone.

I'm not ready to give up on Floyd just yet; he showed some signs of 2008 Floyd tonight (though they were few and far in between, that's true).
Floyd's performance in Game 5 of the ALDS resembled his effort tonight.

'We drafted him... He achieved greatness here... A 2-time MVP, and one of the BEST hitters in MLB history... And soon he will wear a White Sox uniform again... On his Hall of Fame plaque. He's #35, Frank Thomas!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Floyd will not be heading to the bullpen anytime soon.

You don't just yank starters and throw em in the pen when they struggle. Yes he has some things to work through right now, but he's going to be doing it every 5th day. This team does not have the depth to pull off a move like that.

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Okay. The first thing I find atrocious, is that someone would even suggest Floyd being put in the bullpen.

The second thing is, the spelling of 'ridiculous'.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox1989 View Post
Okay. The first thing I find atrocious, is that someone would even suggest Floyd being put in the bullpen.
Seriously. I'm as upset as anyone else, but sheesh...
Old 05-11-2009, 11:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Why would putting Floyd in the bullpen be a solution to any problem?

We need him as our third starter or we have absolutely no chance to compete in a horrible division. He needs to straighten himself out and the bullpen would be the worst place to do it.

Do you want to see a rotation of

Buehrle
Danks
Colon
Richard
Broadway?

A bad Gavin Floyd is still a better option than Broadway or Carrasco.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi im skot View Post
Seriously. I'm as upset as anyone else, but sheesh...
Oh. It's THAT serious, hhaha. Maybe I overreacted a bit. But as soon as I read the thread title I immediately started shaking my head.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Oh. It's THAT serious, hhaha. Maybe I overreacted a bit. But as soon as I read the thread title I immediately started shaking my head.
I think he was agreeing with you.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
I think he was agreeing with you.
Yeah, Konerko05 is right. It's absurd to think that moving Floyd to the bullpen serves some sort of purpose, at least at this point in time.

Floyd's struggling big time right now. As his track history seems to suggest, it appears to be all mental. Hopefully he can get it together and get back to 2008 form soon. If he doesn't...well, that's Ozzie's call.

I'm still struggling to see how someone who seems to be so mentally unstable (pitching-wise, anyway) benefits from being demoted to the bullpen.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 PM
WSI Guru

Maybe the Sox should have Floyd throw a batting practice session to his teammates. He'd probably regain confidence very quickly if he were allowed to pitch against Sox hitters.

The Sox hitters typically can't touch pitchers with ERAs over 7.

R
ead my new baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
WSI Personality

Default For the team's sake

Doesn't do Floyd or the team any good if he gives up 8 runs a start. Any starter who does that on a continuous basis is going to lose his job.

We do have two pitchers at AAA (Whisler and Torres) who are pitching well. You have to give them a chance if Floyd continues to struggle. Maybe one of them could pitch well for the White Sox if given the chance.

You have to put Floyd on alert and let him now that his job isn't guaranteed. This isn't much different from the Contreras situation. Floyd still can turn this around but he must do better quickly.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 AM
WSI Church Elder

Maybe Ozzie should let the batters pitch and the pitchers bat.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunofgold View Post
Doesn't do Floyd or the team any good if he gives up 8 runs a start. Any starter who does that on a continuous basis is going to lose his job.

We do have two pitchers at AAA (Whisler and Torres) who are pitching well. You have to give them a chance if Floyd continues to struggle. Maybe one of them could pitch well for the White Sox if given the chance.

You have to put Floyd on alert and let him now that his job isn't guaranteed. This isn't much different from the Contreras situation. Floyd still can turn this around but he must do better quickly.
Totally agree. Good post. Everyone has to show up and play their best. Floyd has been dogging it. He's behind on all his hitters, he's not commanding, and he's showing that all the propeller heads were right with his unusual periphs last year posting high wins/bbs.

It's up to him to turn it around, if he can't, then find someone else who is motivated.