White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2009, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
2008 was on ESPN sometime midday. I remember being ecstatic that we got Beckham. I was sure we were gonna draft Wallace.

This year will be on MLB Network in the evening. It will take place over multiple days.

Edit: Link

If it is at night, then I plan on watching it.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Baseball America wrote a very nice draft preview:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...09/268138.html

I'm really looking forward to our 5 picks in the first three rounds:

I would expect mucho pitching as it seems to be this classes strong point. (And an organizational need) The lack of elite talent at the top of the first round will lead to some intriguing picks for sure.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO23 View Post
Why would we want this guy? he had a 6.11 ERA in 2007 and a 5.45 ERA in 2008...Am I missing something here? I wouldnt even want him as our 40th pick with those stats

EDIT: I see hes 10-1 with a 2.86 ERA this year...He walked on for the IU basketball team too(although they were terrible)
Do you guys think hes a one year wonder? In NCAA...
I've seen him pitch a couple of times on the Big Ten Network, he's the real deal I just wonder how long his arm is going to last. The IU head coach works him into the high 130's on his pitch counts.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-22-2009, 05:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I've seen him pitch a couple of times on the Big Ten Network, he's the real deal I just wonder how long his arm is going to last. The IU head coach works him into the high 130's on his pitch counts.
Arnett pitched another gem in the first round of the Big Ten Tourney, totally shutting down Purdue for 7 innings. Fastball was popping between 89- 94 and his slider was working very well. He did have a couple of bouts of wildness, hitting a guy (which he is prone to do). If you have the Big Ten Network I suggest watching the tourney, some intriguing players out there.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:47 PM
WSI High Priest

At least 2 pitchers with the first 5 picks. If you look at the best chips in the trades, it's the pitchers. Pick up some high ceiling pitchers and whatever you project to need long-term as position players.

I wonder what Strasburg is going to get for a signing bonus. He'll break the bank this year.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:08 AM
WSI Personality

As many have mentioned, I would like to see the Sox stock up on big, hard-throwing pitchers. I'm excited...our draft last year is already shaping up to be one of the better ones we've had in a loooong time, and that was even without a 2nd rounder! Hopefully we can duplicate or better that success with the additional picks.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

I really enjoy reading that this draft could be one of the best 2nd-5th round drafts, where we have most of our high picks. We don't have a top 10 or top 15 first round pick, so that should save us a lot of money on having to shell out a big bonus for someone who might not be in that position if not for weak top-of-the-board talent this year.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:21 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm1119 View Post
I know the MLB draft isnt quite like the NFL or NBA drafts, but does anybody have an opinion on who we should take with our 1st pick?

I'd like to see either:

Tanner Scheppers- http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...tent=scheppers

or

Rex Brothers- http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/...ntent=brothers
Is Scheppers any relation to the SS on the "Bad news bears"?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
WSI Regular

I'd like us to take a hard-throwing college pitcher with a big frame, similar to the Poreda pick two years ago. Someone with a higher upside rather than a safe pick like McCulloch or Broadway. Someone like Rex Brothers or Tanner Scheppers if he slips to us.

I'd also like us to take a look at some of these guys in the later rounds (15th round and later) from D-II schools. There are some legitimate prospects at the smaller schools across the country.

Shannon Wilkerson (OF - Jr. - Augusta State University) - He's put up stellar stats the last two years, seems to have plus tools.

Hayden Simpson (RHP - Jr.- Southern Arkansas) - Dominated this year on the mound including tossing a no-hitter earlier in the year, smaller size might be a concern but no doubting his ability.

Gary Moran (RHP - Sr. - Sonoma State University) - Put up a sick season stat line this year (7:1 K/BB and didn't allow a homerun in 78 IP) to go with his 6'8" frame, very projectible size and appears he knows how to pitch as well.

Matt Adams (C - Jr. - Slippery Rock University) - Great size for his position, supposedly solid defensively, put up some impressive numbers the past two seasons including a wood bat summer league.

Matt Bodenchuk (SS - Sr. - Mesa State College) - good size and stats, advanced age and medical concerns might give teams pause on taking him.

Yan Gomes (3B/C - Jr. - Barry University) - University of Tennessee transfer named to D-II All-American team.

Rob Dahlberg (1B/3B - Sr. University of Western Alabama) - started since his Freshman year and been producing since day one.

There are several more prospects worth mentioning but these are some of the more intriguing prospects that might be worth the risk in the middle to lower rounds IMHO.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
WSI Personality

The article below hints that the Sox will take signable players at picks 38 and 61 and might roll the dice more with 23rd, 71st and 102nd.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6113506.story
Old 06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Makes sense since the Sox won't be compensated if they fail to sign the players they chose with their compensation picks from OC's departure.

We have been linked to some high school players with our first round pick lately. Some names being thrown around are Mike Trout and Everett Williams. Both CF prospects. I'm a fan of Trout personally, and am also intrigued by prep pitcher Tyler Skaggs. It wouldn't be a stretch for him to fall to us. I would expect College arms to be taken with most of the other picks.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
WSI Regular

I found a pretty comprehensive list of dozens of prospects entering this year's draft (scroll to the top for the start of the list): http://www.flushinguniversity.com/fo...ad.php?p=50759

The players are ranked by position which is really helpful to navigate through the list. Obviously these are pretty informal rankings but it provides a basic analysis of who is out there.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Either of the Kennesaw boys would be fine by me. A fireballer project like Paxton or one of the catchers in the supplementary round would make sense too.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:17 AM
WSI Personality

I would love to get Borchering, even if he does have to move to first or the outfield, but I don't see him falling that far.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
I would love to get Borchering, even if he does have to move to first or the outfield, but I don't see him falling that far.
Also a fan of Borchering. I'm really coming around on Everett Williams as well. He has been getting glowing praise by alot of scouts. Should be an interesting Tuesday indeed.