White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
I'm just looking to gather any information I can on him. He seems to have climbed out of nowhere to put up some amazing numbers (so far) with little to no acclaim. I suppose the acclaim will be there if he sustains them.

I'm curious as to what position he is most adept at playing, since he seems to be able to play all over the infield and even caught and pitched in college. Also, Larry over at SouthsideSox always refers to Retherford's "clubfoot." I'm unsure if he is referring to a lack of speed, or perhaps an awkward stride, etc.

Either way I'm excited about him, and I hope his K rate drops a bit (it isn't terrible) while taking more walks.
CJ was born with a clubfoot. He had corrective surgery as an infant/toddler. The Doctors that conducted the surgery stated that the surgery should allow him to walk normally, but doubted that athletic activities would be truly possible. As a result he does kind of have a noteworthy gait.

As for the K/BB rate: It's at 1:4 roughly and he is shooting for 1:3. His placement in the line up is challenging that goal a bit though, I think. They are choosing to pitch to him instead and getting ahead more often than not. Can't say I blame them though with so many prospects at the top of the order.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Ah. I had figured that might be the case. Inspiring nonetheless.

I suppose I hadn't really considered his lineup placement, but pitching to the Baron lineup certainly has you picking your poison. Opposing pitchers might want to consider pitching around him if he keeps performing the way he is.

If I had the choice I would rather have Birmingham games be televised than the White Sox at this point. (30 minutes until the radio broadcast at least)
Old 05-18-2009, 06:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
First off, thanks!!! That was rather insightful and a valuable contribution to the thread. I'll disregard the fact that comments like these are usually made by mental midgets with an intellectual Napoleon complex and move along.

Second of all, what other player on the Birmingham squad do you know of that could play any position on the field (including pitcher) and still hit for the best average on the team for a better part of the season?

There are some people in this world that are just pure negative energy and a complete drain on society as a whole and as you've demonstrated throughout your posting history on WSI, you sir are a perfect example of one of these people.

Also, I'd like to thank all the other posters that have responded with well thought out, constructive replies.
Consider the source.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 05-24-2009, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaPump View Post
Kenneth Williams Jr.
Williams is on the Kannapolis squad and is currently on the DL. He just turned 23 a couple of days ago. He hasn't hit much yet but he might still come around.

On the subject of CF prospects, how about Jordan Danks? He is currently hitting .370 (.370!) for Birmingham. Prior to his promotion, he was hitting .322 for Winston-Salem.

It has been a lot of fun following this Birmingham team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
I do not think you are getting, there is a difference between a baseball player player being great at one position, and a baseball player being good a several positions. I think a good example might be Craig Biggio. I think he said, he could play multiple positions/pitch/and hit for avg. I think that is a good pure baseball player. And it is not stupid to state his opinion.
Yes, that is a fair reading of the post. I don't think that Ditka v. God said that C.J. Retherford is a higher ceiling prospect than Gordon Beckham or Aaron Poreda. He did say that Retherford is a hard nosed ballplayer who can help you all over the diamond -- a player in the tradition of former Yankee Gil MacDougald, current Angel Chone Figgins or maybe former White Sox Scott Fletcher. A guy like that could always help a ballclub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
Calling it "stupid" did sound a little douschey. And reiterating makes it sound even more douschey. Whether the statement is right or wrong.

Good rule of thumb: if saying something a certain way might get you punched in the mouth in the real world, it's probably not cool to say it over the internet either.
That is an outstanding observation.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

I am a big Logan Johnson fan. Not really doing that well this year in Winston-Salem, but I saw him play in the CWS in Omaha for Louisville and I loved it when the Sox drafted him. Last year he had a solid season, but I doubt he will make it more than the next level, that's if he even starts to hit and gets taller than 5'9"

Go Sox....OH YEAH!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:49 AM
WSI High Priest

I'm pulling for John Ely to end up as a solid mid- to low rotation starter for the Sox. Nothing spectacular, just gets the job done.

And even though he's one of the higher rated prospects I think "Treybone" Shelby is a fantastic player, and doesn't get his full due, even though he might eventually just be a better version of Willie Harris.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:27 PM
WSI Personality

I have no idea what he throws or if he is a legit prospect but Dan Remenowsky has been nothing but lights-out since he signed with the Sox as a NDFA last year. 8-1, 7 saves 1.15 ERA 47 IPs 11 BB 63 K. He's a big guy, so hopefully he has some heat.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Actually Remenowsky is a soft tosser with a fastball in the high 80's. He has been successful because he changes speeds and has amazing command.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
WSI Regular

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by cards press box View Post
Yes, that is a fair reading of the post. I don't think that Ditka v. God said that C.J. Retherford is a higher ceiling prospect than Gordon Beckham or Aaron Poreda. He did say that Retherford is a hard nosed ballplayer who can help you all over the diamond -- a player in the tradition of former Yankee Gil MacDougald, current Angel Chone Figgins or maybe former White Sox Scott Fletcher. A guy like that could always help a ballclub.
Exactly! Those are perfect examples of the type of player I see C.J. developing into, I know I would welcome any of those players on the Sox.

It's really nice to see some genuine enthusiasm towards our minor league system again. I've grown so accustomed to following just a handful of (let's face it, mediocre) prospects over the last few years that I'm a little overwhelmed by the depth of our entire system. And the Rookie Leagues haven't even started yet where prospects like Steven Upchurch and Nevin Griffith (if he can recover from Tommy John surgery) are still waiting to tear it up.

Edit: Another potentially "under-the-radar" prospect that's grabbed my attention this year is Justin Greene (OF - Kannapolis). Greene is a speedy outfielder drafted out of Francis Marion University last year in the 20th round, he filled up the stat sheet in the Rookie Leagues last season and looks like he's adjusting nicely to the Sally League pitching this year. It's always nice to have some speedsters in the organization.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britt Burns View Post
I have no idea what he throws or if he is a legit prospect but Dan Remenowsky has been nothing but lights-out since he signed with the Sox as a NDFA last year. 8-1, 7 saves 1.15 ERA 47 IPs 11 BB 63 K. He's a big guy, so hopefully he has some heat.
Today's box:
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...=t487&sid=t487
Old 05-24-2009, 10:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
I saw that right after I posted. Sorry to jinx you Dan...get back at it tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 AM
WSI Personality

Derek Rodriguez. The kid deserves a shot in the pen over Broadway and especially Gobble
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
I've noticed recently that most of the attention most people are giving to our minor league system surrounds the "uber-prospects" in our system. (i.e. Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, JorDanks, Poreda, etc.) I was wondering which players the die-hard minor league followers had their eye on that doesn't really get their due attention.

My top five currently are:

C.J. Retherford
- (Birmingham, 2B) - 23 year old undrafted free agent that might be the best pure ballplayer on a loaded Barons squad. Reminds me of a hard-nosed, throwback.

Daniel Hudson/Dexter Carter - (Winston-Salem, SP/Kannapolis, SP) - I put these two together because they're both from Old Dominion, drafted in the same draft, both have been absolutely sick since entering professional ball and both are best friends to boot.

Christian Marrero - (W-S, LF) - younger brother of Eli Marrero, Christian started the season off on a tear and made JorDanks look bad for a while. Good baseball pedigree, seems to be an advanced hitter for his age.

Brent Morel - (W-S, 3B) - last year's third round pick, came flying out of the gate last year and after a slow start this year has really poured it on lately. Currently has 6HR and 10SB this year. (only 1CS) Maybe potentially a homeless man's David Wright?

Stefan Gartrell - (Birmingham, OF) - nothing from his stats really pop out at you but I've always liked how he's managed to adjust to every league he's been pushed to. I get the feeling that he could be a sleeper, Ellis Burks-type potentially.

Anyone else have any "underrated favorites"?
. If those are your underrated favorites, I`d say, "Get off the crack pipe.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35th and Shields View Post
Derek Rodriguez. The kid deserves a shot in the pen over Broadway and especially Gobble
Derek Rodriguez has certainly pitched lights out at Birmingham and Charlotte. He might well pitch in Chicago this year.

Let me throw out another pitcher: Rodriguez' teammate Jon Link. Link is 0-0 with 5 saves, a 2.18 ERA, 9 walks and 27 strikeouts in 20 and 2/3 innings. Link, too, might pitch in Chicago this summer.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 points View Post
. If those are your underrated favorites, I`d say, "Get off the crack pipe.
I don't get your point, at all. All of those players have played well this year, especially Retherford (6 HR 28 RBI .323 Avg. in 130 AB's), Marrero (3 HR 20 RBI .323 Avg. in 155 AB's) and Gartrell (8 HR 28 RBI and .282 Avg. in 142 AB's). The press has not rated them as the top prospects in the organization but have played well. They are, thus, underrated.