White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian View Post
I'm very intrigued by C. J. Retherford. After his big game last night in which he hit his 9th double, and two more homers, he's the Barons leading hitter. He's supposed to be a "fire plug", at 5' 10" and 190, and another real baseball "rat". Kind of reminds me of Nix, only probably better.
I personally love guys like that, guys who are just good, sound baseball players, even though they may not be great, gifted athletes. Natural 5 tool athletes like Griffey, and A-Rod are beautiful to watch, but guys like C. J. earn respect for their love of, and dedication to the game. How can you not root for a guy like that?

Here is what I said in another thread, a couple of days ago:

I wish that the organization would start grooming this guy as a future catcher.
I don't care which team he plays on, and whether he eventually becomes their regular, or back up catcher. That would likely depend a lot on what they ultimately decide to do with Flowers. Apparently there is still some doubt as to whether Flowers belongs behind the plate, or at First.

At any rate, Retherford's coach at ASU believed that catching was his best opportunity for a future in baseball. Apparently the guy can play almost anywhere, and is a real baseball "rat".

Hawk Harrelson loves this guy, as do many other people who have seen him play. C. J. is a doubles machine. He set a Pioneer League record with 30 2B's in just 261 at bats in 2007. He already has 8 in just 69 at bats this year.

I don't know why they are using him at second. How many more middle infielders does this organization need? He has played a lot of third as well, but I'd still love to see him work on becoming a catcher.
I read Chris Coste's book and he said that coaches moved him to catcher to try and ensure his ticket to the big leagues. Took him a while, but he got there. It sounds like CJ might be in the Getz mold but with more power. If this is true, I can see why Hawk loves him so much.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM
WSI High Priest

Retherford has been intriguing no doubt. It would be nice to get more information on him, as I have seen little to nothing written. (And I don't put much stock into Hawk's ramblings) His stats thus far are very good, but I hope he starts to take some more walks as the season progresses.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
And if you had simply asked for my reasoning behind in making this comment or provided a player as a better example rather than flinging a childish "quip" at me, than maybe you wouldn't come off like a complete and total chode.
Don't worry about that guy. He knows very little and thinks he knows it all. And the rest of us here know THAT.

Besides, I wasn't even sure what he was calling "stupid," since your post had about 5 points in it (each of which were interesting, by the way). But, again, consider the source.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Naharodny View Post
Don't worry about that guy. He knows very little and thinks he knows it all. And the rest of us here know THAT.

Besides, I wasn't even sure what he was calling "stupid," since your post had about 5 points in it (each of which were interesting, by the way). But, again, consider the source.
It is stupid to state that Retherford may be the best pure ballplayer in Birmingham when Beckham, Allen, Poreda, Flowers etc. are all there. It's a stupid statement. The poster is not stupid, but his point was.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
It is stupid to state that Retherford may be the best pure ballplayer in Birmingham when Beckham, Allen, Poreda, Flowers etc. are all there. It's a stupid statement. The poster is not stupid, but his point was.

I do not think you are getting, there is a difference between a baseball player player being great at one position, and a baseball player being good a several positions. I think a good example might be Craig Biggio. I think he said, he could play multiple positions/pitch/and hit for avg. I think that is a good pure baseball player. And it is not stupid to state his opinion.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Tyler Kuhn and Jon Gilmore.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 AM
WSI Regular

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
I do not think you are getting, there is a difference between a baseball player player being great at one position, and a baseball player being good a several positions. I think a good example might be Craig Biggio. I think he said, he could play multiple positions/pitch/and hit for avg. I think that is a good pure baseball player. And it is not stupid to state his opinion.
Thank you Cashman, this was exactly what I was trying to get across but you've articulated it far better than I did.

And thanks to everyone else that has posted their responses to the original purpose of this thread, this is going to be a very exciting year for our minor league clubs. I'm almost more excited to follow some of the minor league games this year than the actual Sox games.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
Thank you Cashman, this was exactly what I was trying to get across but you've articulated it far better than I did.

And thanks to everyone else that has posted their responses to the original purpose of this thread, this is going to be a very exciting year for our minor league clubs. I'm almost more excited to follow some of the minor league games this year than the actual Sox games.

I knew what you were saying, but looked like you just needed it to be said another way. I think another player like this is Zach Greinke, he can hit, but dominates pitching.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
WSI Personality

Another guy who's not a huge prospect but has a chance is Charlie Shirek. Good arm, sort of a checkered past. Really hurt his draft position coming out of Nebraska. I'm rooting for him.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
WSI Regular

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Sox View Post
Another guy who's not a huge prospect but has a chance is Charlie Shirek. Good arm, sort of a checkered past. Really hurt his draft position coming out of Nebraska. I'm rooting for him.
Good choice! He's got a really inspirational story coming out of college, sort of reminds me of Bobby Jenks past.

By the way, he had another solid outing in W-S today, definitely a guy everyone should keep their eye on.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Retherford has been intriguing no doubt. It would be nice to get more information on him, as I have seen little to nothing written. (And I don't put much stock into Hawk's ramblings) His stats thus far are very good, but I hope he starts to take some more walks as the season progresses.
Anything specific that you would be interested in knowing?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:44 PM
WSI High Priest

I'm just looking to gather any information I can on him. He seems to have climbed out of nowhere to put up some amazing numbers (so far) with little to no acclaim. I suppose the acclaim will be there if he sustains them.

I'm curious as to what position he is most adept at playing, since he seems to be able to play all over the infield and even caught and pitched in college. Also, Larry over at SouthsideSox always refers to Retherford's "clubfoot." I'm unsure if he is referring to a lack of speed, or perhaps an awkward stride, etc.

Either way I'm excited about him, and I hope his K rate drops a bit (it isn't terrible) while taking more walks.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birmingham_10 View Post
Anything specific that you would be interested in knowing?
Also, while it might be a reach, your newness and user name has me wondering... Might you be CJ? (or someone related/close to him?) Had to ask.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:27 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Also, while it might be a reach, your newness and user name has me wondering... Might you be CJ? (or someone related/close to him?) Had to ask.
Nope, not CJ but in the family. So if you have anything you are curious about I can do my best to answer it.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Nice to have you aboard.

The only questions I really had are listed a few posts up.

That Baron's team has certainly been fun to follow, and I look forward to their continued success.