White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 PM
WSI Regular

Default Favorite Underrated Sox Prospect

I've noticed recently that most of the attention most people are giving to our minor league system surrounds the "uber-prospects" in our system. (i.e. Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, JorDanks, Poreda, etc.) I was wondering which players the die-hard minor league followers had their eye on that doesn't really get their due attention.

My top five currently are:

C.J. Retherford
- (Birmingham, 2B) - 23 year old undrafted free agent that might be the best pure ballplayer on a loaded Barons squad. Reminds me of a hard-nosed, throwback.

Daniel Hudson/Dexter Carter - (Winston-Salem, SP/Kannapolis, SP) - I put these two together because they're both from Old Dominion, drafted in the same draft, both have been absolutely sick since entering professional ball and both are best friends to boot.

Christian Marrero - (W-S, LF) - younger brother of Eli Marrero, Christian started the season off on a tear and made JorDanks look bad for a while. Good baseball pedigree, seems to be an advanced hitter for his age.

Brent Morel - (W-S, 3B) - last year's third round pick, came flying out of the gate last year and after a slow start this year has really poured it on lately. Currently has 6HR and 10SB this year. (only 1CS) Maybe potentially a homeless man's David Wright?

Stefan Gartrell - (Birmingham, OF) - nothing from his stats really pop out at you but I've always liked how he's managed to adjust to every league he's been pushed to. I get the feeling that he could be a sleeper, Ellis Burks-type potentially.

Anyone else have any "underrated favorites"?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Put me in the Hudson/Carter and Morel camp.

Morel has been on a tear lately and his BA is beginning to creep up to where it should be. On top of that his plate discipline is looking good and the power that many scouts said wouldn't translate has been there so far.

Hudson and Carter everyone should be pulling for, as they are most likely the best young pitching prospects we have in a thin pitching system. (Aside from Poreda of course) They are also a great story as you already mentioned. Especially Carter after his dreadful college numbers have turned into exceptional ones after the Sox changed his mechanics. Both have ceilings of 3rd or 4th starters.

Side note, I was really looking forward to listening to Matusz vs Hudson in his High-A debut, and was very disappointed that it was rained out yesterday. Then today his rescheduled debut was cut short to 2.0 IP because of a rain delay. He did post a solid line though:

2 IP, 0 hits, 0 BB, 3 K
Old 05-08-2009, 12:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditka v. God View Post
I've noticed recently that most of the attention most people are giving to our minor league system surrounds the "uber-prospects" in our system. (i.e. Beckham, Viciedo, Flowers, JorDanks, Poreda, etc.) I was wondering which players the die-hard minor league followers had their eye on that doesn't really get their due attention.

My top five currently are:

C.J. Retherford
- (Birmingham, 2B) - 23 year old undrafted free agent that might be the best pure ballplayer on a loaded Barons squad. Reminds me of a hard-nosed, throwback.

Daniel Hudson/Dexter Carter - (Winston-Salem, SP/Kannapolis, SP) - I put these two together because they're both from Old Dominion, drafted in the same draft, both have been absolutely sick since entering professional ball and both are best friends to boot.

Christian Marrero - (W-S, LF) - younger brother of Eli Marrero, Christian started the season off on a tear and made JorDanks look bad for a while. Good baseball pedigree, seems to be an advanced hitter for his age.

Brent Morel - (W-S, 3B) - last year's third round pick, came flying out of the gate last year and after a slow start this year has really poured it on lately. Currently has 6HR and 10SB this year. (only 1CS) Maybe potentially a homeless man's David Wright?

Stefan Gartrell - (Birmingham, OF) - nothing from his stats really pop out at you but I've always liked how he's managed to adjust to every league he's been pushed to. I get the feeling that he could be a sleeper, Ellis Burks-type potentially.

Anyone else have any "underrated favorites"?
That's stupid.

I like Tyler Kuhn a bit. Lucas Harrell as well.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Banned

Morel looks good with big possibilities.

Hudson/ Carter are hard to tell until they get to Birmingham. 22 year old college pitchers dominating A ball doesn't say all that much.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
WSI Church Elder

Tyler Kuhn, Jose Martinez and John Shelby. Kuhn hit hit and hit some more when he started last year. He has moved to the OF because of too many IF's on the team. I think I remember Baseball America saying that Kuhn was a prospect that fell through the cracks and hopefully the Sox can benefit 2-3 years down the road.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
WSI Regular

Kenneth Williams Jr.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
That's stupid.

I like Tyler Kuhn a bit. Lucas Harrell as well.
First off, thanks!!! That was rather insightful and a valuable contribution to the thread. I'll disregard the fact that comments like these are usually made by mental midgets with an intellectual Napoleon complex and move along.

Second of all, what other player on the Birmingham squad do you know of that could play any position on the field (including pitcher) and still hit for the best average on the team for a better part of the season?

There are some people in this world that are just pure negative energy and a complete drain on society as a whole and as you've demonstrated throughout your posting history on WSI, you sir are a perfect example of one of these people.

Also, I'd like to thank all the other posters that have responded with well thought out, constructive replies.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPapaPump View Post
Kenneth Williams Jr.
Thanks for nothing.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
First off, thanks!!! That was rather insightful and a valuable contribution to the thread. I'll disregard the fact that comments like these are usually made by mental midgets with an intellectual Napoleon complex and move along.

Second of all, what other player on the Birmingham squad do you know of that could play any position on the field (including pitcher) and still hit for the best average on the team for a better part of the season?

There are some people in this world that are just pure negative energy and a complete drain on society as a whole and as you've demonstrated throughout your posting history on WSI, you sir are a perfect example of one of these people.

Also, I'd like to thank all the other posters that have responded with well thought out, constructive replies.
If you simply stated that you were impressed with Retherford's versatility and ability to hit for contact, that'd be alright. But, you called him possibly the best "pure ballplayer" in Birmingham. That's ridiculous.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:00 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
If you simply stated that you were impressed with Retherford's versatility and ability to hit for contact, that'd be alright. But, you called him possibly the best "pure ballplayer" in Birmingham. That's ridiculous.
And if you had simply asked for my reasoning behind in making this comment or provided a player as a better example rather than flinging a childish "quip" at me, than maybe you wouldn't come off like a complete and total chode.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
And if you had simply asked for my reasoning behind in making this comment or provided a player as a better example rather than flinging a childish "quip" at me, than maybe you wouldn't come off like a complete and total chode.
It was a stupid statement, and still is, even with your reasoning. Let it go.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Maybe calling someone "stupid" wasn't the smartest thing to do. Doesn't exactly further the conversation.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 AM
WSI Personality

Don't call me stupid.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Calling it "stupid" did sound a little douschey. And reiterating makes it sound even more douschey. Whether the statement is right or wrong.

Good rule of thumb: if saying something a certain way might get you punched in the mouth in the real world, it's probably not cool to say it over the internet either.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:01 AM
WSI Personality

I'm very intrigued by C. J. Retherford. After his big game last night in which he hit his 9th double, and two more homers, he's the Barons leading hitter. He's supposed to be a "fire plug", at 5' 10" and 190, and another real baseball "rat". Kind of reminds me of Nix, only probably better.
I personally love guys like that, guys who are just good, sound baseball players, even though they may not be great, gifted athletes. Natural 5 tool athletes like Griffey, and A-Rod are beautiful to watch, but guys like C. J. earn respect for their love of, and dedication to the game. How can you not root for a guy like that?

Here is what I said in another thread, a couple of days ago:

I wish that the organization would start grooming this guy as a future catcher.
I don't care which team he plays on, and whether he eventually becomes their regular, or back up catcher. That would likely depend a lot on what they ultimately decide to do with Flowers. Apparently there is still some doubt as to whether Flowers belongs behind the plate, or at First.

At any rate, Retherford's coach at ASU believed that catching was his best opportunity for a future in baseball. Apparently the guy can play almost anywhere, and is a real baseball "rat".

Hawk Harrelson loves this guy, as do many other people who have seen him play. C. J. is a doubles machine. He set a Pioneer League record with 30 2B's in just 261 at bats in 2007. He already has 8 in just 69 at bats this year.

I don't know why they are using him at second. How many more middle infielders does this organization need? He has played a lot of third as well, but I'd still love to see him work on becoming a catcher.