White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on winning the AL ROTY award unanimously, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Aesero Aesero is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 231
Default Rios' Spot in the Order

It is somewhat sad knowing that Rios has been robbed of multiple RBIs and a couple triples this year because of Paulie batting ahead of him. Not to mention if he hits a single and Paulie only moves up 90 feet his speed advantage is lost.

Is there any real downside to moving him up in the order? It's tough to say he should be batting second, and if you have him third you screw around with the 3-4 combo of Dunn/Konerko. We've all seen how he reacts to missed RBIs off doubles and singles. And you know he can't be happy about missing out on 2-3 more triples this season already.

Rios seems like a player that has to be happy to play well. He wasn't happy in center last year and his all around play suffered. He didn't even seem to put effort into his throws back to the infield. This year hes hustling, sprinting to every ball, and throwing absolute missiles to the cutoff man. It's no longer letting a ball land in front of him, and then throwing one of those side arm slow inaccurate curves back to second.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's been outstanding this year in part to having things go his way like getting to play RF (also finally changing his swing). What would be the harm of giving into him a little more and letting someone with a little more speed than Paulie bat in front of him? Is Dunn fast enough to score from first on a play that Rios could stretch to a triple? If so why not 3-4-5 Rios Dunn Paulie?

Sorry for the wall of text, but all the talk over All Star game and Rios getting snubbed got me thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 PM
MarySwiss's Avatar
MarySwiss MarySwiss is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 15,355
Default

Hmmmm. Interesting idea. I'm not a fan of messing with success--we ARE in first place!--but that might be worth doing a couple of times just to see how it worked out. IMO.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=4887&d=1158938766
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:15 PM
FoulTerritory FoulTerritory is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesero View Post
It is somewhat sad knowing that Rios has been robbed of multiple RBIs and a couple triples this year because of Paulie batting ahead of him. Not to mention if he hits a single and Paulie only moves up 90 feet his speed advantage is lost.

Is there any real downside to moving him up in the order? It's tough to say he should be batting second, and if you have him third you screw around with the 3-4 combo of Dunn/Konerko. We've all seen how he reacts to missed RBIs off doubles and singles. And you know he can't be happy about missing out on 2-3 more triples this season already.

Rios seems like a player that has to be happy to play well. He wasn't happy in center last year and his all around play suffered. He didn't even seem to put effort into his throws back to the infield. This year hes hustling, sprinting to every ball, and throwing absolute missiles to the cutoff man. It's no longer letting a ball land in front of him, and then throwing one of those side arm slow inaccurate curves back to second.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's been outstanding this year in part to having things go his way like getting to play RF (also finally changing his swing). What would be the harm of giving into him a little more and letting someone with a little more speed than Paulie bat in front of him? Is Dunn fast enough to score from first on a play that Rios could stretch to a triple? If so why not 3-4-5 Rios Dunn Paulie?

Sorry for the wall of text, but all the talk over All Star game and Rios getting snubbed got me thinking.
I've been clamoring all week in the Adam Dunn thread about swapping Rios and Dunn in the order. Let Dunn hit homers, walk, and strike out at a record rate in the 5 or 6 hole. Get Rios in a better position to utilize is all-fields contact and speed.

Few people seem to agree with me though (including Robin Ventura).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 PM
balke balke is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,872
Default

I don't think it's that easy. Rios follows great hitters and has men on base a lot. I think pitchers are trying to get to Rios and throw him strikes to induce a double play ball - since his power isn't monumental.

I think he benefits from having guys throw in the zone - and by facing pitchers who often have already thrown 20-30 pitches in that inning getting past the top of the order and PK.

I think we all get it - Rios is doing great. I don't think moving anyone 1-5 is a good idea right now. What they have going is working.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:35 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,907
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulTerritory View Post
I've been clamoring all week in the Adam Dunn thread about swapping Rios and Dunn in the order. Let Dunn hit homers, walk, and strike out at a record rate in the 5 or 6 hole. Get Rios in a better position to utilize is all-fields contact and speed.

Few people seem to agree with me though (including Robin Ventura).
I'm with you and mentioned it a few times in some game threads.
Seems crazy batting a guy 3rd who is going to strike out 250 time this year.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,445
Default

Rios is a perfect 5 hitter, though. Also seems like he'd put undue pressure on himself hitting third.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,250
Blog Entries: 1
Default

My ideal 2012 Sox lineup would be instituted after the all star break:

DeAza - Is there any question he belongs here?
Beckham - I like his speed ahead of Rios
Rios - More fastballs with speed on the bases and power behind him
Dunn - Often leads off the 2nd inning here, but also will get fastballs
Paulie - Will have a wealth of RBI opportunities
Youkilis - I want some OBP a little lower in the order
AJ - he really can hit anywhere
Viciedo - RBI opportunities with Youkilis and AJ ahead of him
Alexei - low average, but good average with RISP
__________________
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:20 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,907
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
My ideal 2012 Sox lineup would be instituted after the all star break:

DeAza - Is there any question he belongs here?
Beckham - I like his speed ahead of Rios
Rios - More fastballs with speed on the bases and power behind him
Dunn - Often leads off the 2nd inning here, but also will get fastballs
Paulie - Will have a wealth of RBI opportunities
Youkilis - I want some OBP a little lower in the order
AJ - he really can hit anywhere
Viciedo - RBI opportunities with Youkilis and AJ ahead of him
Alexei - low average, but good average with RISP
I like it except I might go with PK at cleanup and Dunn 5th.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Frater Perdurabo Frater Perdurabo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 18,250
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I like it except I might go with PK at cleanup and Dunn 5th.
I thought about that, too, but also didn't want three RH batters in a row.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 16,335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
Rios is a perfect 5 hitter, though. Also seems like he'd put undue pressure on himself hitting third.
I think you're right, but I don't know if it's a matter of pressure. At the moment, Rios is the most dangerous hitter in the lineup. For most of the season, Konerko was the most dangerous hitter in the lineup. One of the reasons Konerko has done so well this season is that he has had a good hitter hitting behind him. First Pierzynski before Rios was put there after Pierzynski cooled off.

Dunn is hitting third because he gives the Sox a chance to get on the board in the first inning. The first is his biggest home run inning. Almost one-third of his home runs come in the first. He has as many home runs as singles. Dunn probably wouldn't have as many home runs if he didn't have Konerko doing well behind him. If Dunn were batting fifth, Konerko would have less protection, especially against lefties.

I don't see anything wrong with the White Sox order, considering their personnel. It's obviously been a work in progress for Ventura since April.

I like De Aza leading off. I thought Beckham was doing well as a No. 2 hitter, hitting between De Aza and Dunn. He seemed to be getting a lot of fastballs because pitchers didn't want to walk him in front of Dunn, and they didn't want to give De Aza good pitches to run on. Youkilis should be capable there and could end up being an upgrade. I don't believe Youkilis hitting fifth would provide Konerko the protection Rios does.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northwest Side, 60626
Posts: 1,935
Default

I just want to see Beckham back in the 2 hole. I think that he was best there, and he seems to be scuffling a bit where he is now.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 AM
enurb enurb is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 114
Default

I'm in the minority, but don't like Beckham batting 2nd. He has a career .314 obp and a career .699 OPS. In my humble opinion, he doesn't warrant the extra responsibility and extra ABs that the 2 slot demands.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 7,907
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by enurb View Post
I'm in the minority, but don't like Beckham batting 2nd. He has a career .314 obp and a career .699 OPS. In my humble opinion, he doesn't warrant the extra responsibility and extra ABs that the 2 slot demands.
Gordo was starting to come on when he was put back at #2, put him back there and put Youk 6th or 7th where he will drive in more runs.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.