White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 09:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Can LaRussa catch McGraw?

John McGraw won 2763 games as manager of the Orioles and Giants. Tony LaRussa has 2461 wins with the Sox, A's and Cardinals. LaRussa is 63 years old and needs 303 victories to overtake McGraw. He's in the last year of his contract. Has anyone heard about the Cards extending LaRussa? He's certainly aware that he needs four mediocre seasons to pass McGraw. I think LaRussa will pass McGraw. In case anyone is wondering, LaRussa would need 1270 wins to tie Connie Mack.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:54 PM
Official Professor

LaRussa made much of his career by turning a blind eye to steroid use. His records are as tainted as the steroid users are.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
LaRussa made much of his career by turning a blind eye to steroid use. His records are as tainted as the steroid users are.
Joe Torre too?

“If Brian Anderson would have played every day last year, he would have hit about .275 and would have hit 25 home runs, I don't think you can disagree with that.” -Kenny Williams, GM of the Chicago White Sox.
IN KENNY WE TRUST
2008 Chicago White Sox Season: "Brian? Hello..."
2009 Chicago White Sox Season: merit means nothing. Bring on WISE!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Dankerific View Post
Joe Torre too?
Absolutely, although to his credit Torre hasn't made a second career of denying anything of the PED sort went on in baseball.
"Two innings later, Paul Konerko will win it for us with a game-winning monster blast that's got every guy on this 7-12 team convinced we're ready to turn our season around. We lose seven of our next eight." - David Wells

andrew reilly | pics
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Dankerific View Post
Joe Torre too?
...and Dusty Baker, Don Baylor, Phil Garner, etc. As the steroid era (hopefully) comes to an end, the blame needs to be shared among the players (union), agents, managers/coaching staff, trainers, owners and even the commissioner.

The players who were already very good destroyed hallowed records while players who were below average or average were able to stay in the league longer.

Everyone turned their head because butts were in the seats, ratings were up as well as revenues. It wasn't until some hallowed records were under assult that MLB woke up.

I didn't hear the Tribune company screaming about the evils of steroids when Sosa and McGwire were chasing Maris...
Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post

Is is the managers job to police what they put in their bodies? I'm asking.

No matter how many 'roiders you have on your team, you still have to win. As far as I'm concerned, he's not any more tainted by steroids as any other manager in this era.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

To answer your question - yes. If Tony manages 4 more years, including this one, he will pass McGraw in wins.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I think he can, it's just a question of whether or not he wants to continue to manage after this year. It's similar to Greg Maddux. He could have passed Warren Spahn this year, who many people consider to be the winningest pitcher in the modern era, but he decided to retire instead (probably for the better).

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoriop View Post
Is is the managers job to police what they put in their bodies? I'm asking.
No, but it is EVERYONE'S responsibility to police cheating.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by downstairs View Post
No, but it is EVERYONE'S responsibility to police cheating.
Please take a trip to the real world. It's so...real!
Old 03-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoriop View Post
...he's not any more tainted by steroids as any other manager in this era.
It didn't start in Oakland, but it became an epidemic there, while LaRussa was manager. That, and has been stated, he has continued to defend 'roiders and act like he doesn't believe it was going on. I think he did more than just ignore it, he enabled it, in order to win. So, yes, I think he's more culpable than most. Just my opinion.