White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly213 View Post
But what if the players on those teams are playing in the World Series??

That being said I enjoy watching the WBC.
Alternates for players that are in the WS...
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
I'm bummed AJ didn't get chosen for Team USA... I would have liked a Pierzynski jersey, plus it would have been nice to open up some work for some of our younger catchers that need it more.
Not worried about AJ getting hurt or anything, but looking at the in-experienc at the C position we have backing him up, the less amount of stressful miles we put on those knees the better it is for us. We need AJ for min 140 games this season.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEx227 View Post
but I think teams would be more accepting of that, then Sizemore getting hurt in the 6th inning of a 12-1 blowout of team Netherlands.
If the US is only ahead of the Netherlands 12-1 in the 6th, then I will be worried.

Count me in the group that really likes this event and is looking forward to it.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Lip, I think your day would have been more productive if you hadn't wasted it by voting in that poll over and over again.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
IMO, the World Baseball Craptacular is meaningless. Did we really care when USA lost last time?

To me this is a bogus invention by Bud to spread the many-tentacled marketing arm of MLB into other countries, and to try and sell more merchandise.

The actual baseball is secondary.
I disagree. I think baseball has turned into a worldwide sport over the years and is now following the lead of similar sports that are played in many parts of the globe such as hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, and basketball.

I can't wait for the year where a guy like Miguel Cabrera or Alex Rodriguez has a sizzling April and credits playing in the WBC for getting him into mid-season form so early, saying that it was much more competitive and beneficial than snoozing through the motions in spring training games. Because let's be honest, if we are going to keep on bringing up the scenario of a guy getting hurt when playing in this thing, then you have to bring up the other possibility as well.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michstate45 View Post
I disagree. I think baseball has turned into a worldwide sport over the years and is now following the lead of similar sports that are played in many parts of the globe such as hockey, soccer, golf, tennis, and basketball.

I can't wait for the year where a guy like Miguel Cabrera or Alex Rodriguez has a sizzling April and credits playing in the WBC for getting him into mid-season form so early, saying that it was much more competitive and beneficial than snoozing through the motions in spring training games. Because let's be honest, if we are going to keep on bringing up the scenario of a guy getting hurt when playing in this thing, then you have to bring up the other possibility as well.
Hockey is only just ahead of Baseball, yeah Eastern and Northern Europe play it more but it's not like there are hundreds of international players from all over the world (Using the Soccer comparison)

I like the format and the idea, just not the timing but a huge season combined with baseball needing certain conditions to be played means it can't be played any other time.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM
WSI Guru

AZ:

Well played!

Actually I did try to vote a second time but it won't let you do that.

Lip
Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
AZ:

Well played!

Actually I did try to vote a second time but it won't let you do that.

Lip
I voted for you.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 02-27-2009, 12:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Sizemore bailed.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
WSI Personality

Victorino in for Grady, I saw the news about Sizemore and I wondered who would replace him, I thought of Victorino and a few hours later it was confimed. Either I'm psychic or it's very obvious.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox1970 View Post
Sizemore bailed.
Good plan.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEx227 View Post
Good plan.
He's injured. An injury he suffered in training camp during a game. Maybe we should do away with spring training games. And practice.

Let's just let the players show up April first from now on and go at it, shall we?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

I'm sure the Indians would rather his injury come in a worthless Buddy Boy dream-land representing his country with the best half All-Stars they could find that actually wanted to pitch 3 innings a time in this stupid thing.

But cool, keep using that same stupid ass logic that we all said is worthless.

It's not just the injury factor, it's the fact that the whole thing doesn't mean ANYTHING. Nobody cares which country wins.

Practice has always been around, practice is necessary.

Playing in a tournament where half of the worlds stars have bowed out and a majority of the pitchers will only pitch 2-3 innings is not necessary.

Last edited by FedEx227; 02-27-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'll definitely be watching the WBC. Everybody else can say what they want, but I enjoyed watching it last time, and I will watch it again.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

You can basically add Quentin and Danks, but they didn't want to.