White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 02:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Default BP's Top 100 Prospects

Top 100

Three White Sox:

28. Gordon Beckham
74. Aaron Poreda
99. Brandon Allen

In regards to Flowers/Viciedo when asked about them in the comments, Goldstein replied: “Viceido was closer than Flowers, who I have trouble evaluating as a catcher.”
Old 02-13-2009, 04:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have a feeling Ben Revere (#36) is going to be the next famous Sox killer. He's in the Twins' system and plays their style of ball, but he is much, much better than their usual piranhas.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White Sox View Post
I have a feeling Ben Revere (#36) is going to be the next famous Sox killer. He's in the Twins' system and plays their style of ball, but he is much, much better than their usual piranhas.
That's all you needed to say. He will be a Sox killer.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

The Sox (and well many other teams) could have had No. 7 Rick Porcello if they were just willing to pay him.

The Joe Borchard thing really screwed us over. Now the Sox are never going to pay another draft pick that much money.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaerulez View Post
The Sox (and well many other teams) could have had No. 7 Rick Porcello if they were just willing to pay him.

The Joe Borchard thing really screwed us over. Now the Sox are never going to pay another draft pick that much money.
Yeah, but instead of paying a major league contract to a prospect, the Sox paid a normal signing bonus to a prospect. Aaron Poreda is still very good and has a chance to contribute to the major league roster in a big way, which is more than can be said for many other players.

When you factor in the assumed risk of signing a guy straight out of college to a major league deal, and when you look at where Poreda is now, I think it was a good pick and am happy with the results.

Of course, if in the future the Sox never go above slot in the first round to grab someone they definitely want, then this could become an issue, but in this one circumstance I am totally fine with what they did.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Yeah, but instead of paying a major league contract to a prospect, the Sox paid a normal signing bonus to a prospect. Aaron Poreda is still very good and has a chance to contribute to the major league roster in a big way, which is more than can be said for many other players.

When you factor in the assumed risk of signing a guy straight out of college to a major league deal, and when you look at where Poreda is now, I think it was a good pick and am happy with the results.

Of course, if in the future the Sox never go above slot in the first round to grab someone they definitely want, then this could become an issue, but in this one circumstance I am totally fine with what they did.
A guy who isn't projected to be a front of the rotation starter and may be more Matt Thornton then anything else over a guy who has the ceiling of a bonafide number 1 sp.

Porcello was overlooked because he was a Boras client with a high price tag, and we won't touch either.

Just because Poreda may contribute something to a pro team some day doesn't mean he was a good pick, or a better pick than Porcello.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

I love how every prospect thread becomes a Porcello argument.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
A guy who isn't projected to be a front of the rotation starter and may be more Matt Thornton then anything else over a guy who has the ceiling of a bonafide number 1 sp.

Porcello was overlooked because he was a Boras client with a high price tag, and we won't touch either.

Just because Poreda may contribute something to a pro team some day doesn't mean he was a good pick, or a better pick than Porcello.

Whatever your opinion was at the time, you were wrong. Porcello has become, at the very least, a grade A bargaining chip. You can argue against spending all you want, but it's about evaluating and spending wisely based on those evaluations. Kenny (and some other GM's who could have spent more on the slot) was wrong, and should be called out for it.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Whatever your opinion was at the time, you were wrong. Porcello has become, at the very least, a grade A bargaining chip. You can argue against spending all you want, but it's about evaluating and spending wisely based on those evaluations. Kenny (and some other GM's who could have spent more on the slot) was wrong, and should be called out for it.
I think it says something about the entire system when almost 20 teams (2/3 of all of baseball) passed on the guy, and who knows how many teams after Detroit would have taken Porcello.

The entire slotting system needs to be altered to even the playing field; having some organizations refuse to go over slot under all but the wildest of circumstances distorts the draft system as it currently stands.

Drafting a guy and immediately adding him to the 40 man roster on a major league deal is all about risk management. You use up a spot on the 40 man, his arb. clock starts early, and you need almost immediate production. Porcello has been a tremendous success and his quick rise is commendable, but the White Sox don't exactly have a great history when it comes to rushing prospects to the big leagues and maybe didn't want to put their organization under the pressure to get him up fast.

Maybe it says something about the Sox farm system, GM philosophy or something else, but it was a logical decision to pass on Porcello (even though I wasn't happy with it when it happened) and I hope a bunch of organizations will take a lesson from this ordeal and push for a change to the current draft system.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 PM
The Grand Wazoo

Signing a college pitcher to a major league contract is logical, look how well it worked out for the Cubs.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really hope Rick Porcello falls flat on his face, I can't believe I'm this sick of hearing about a player before he even gets out of A ball.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-14-2009, 08:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Maybe it says something about the Sox farm system, GM philosophy or something else, but it was a logical decision to pass on Porcello (even though I wasn't happy with it when it happened) and I hope a bunch of organizations will take a lesson from this ordeal and push for a change to the current draft system.
You can make an arguement either way on him. Had the Sox drafted and signed him, who would they not have been able to afford to sign since then? We likely miss the post season last year - right? Maybe we don't get Alexei? or we can't keep JD or MB?

I understand why KW wouldn't give a HS kid that kind of $ and a major league contract. But if you have the money and that level of risk tolerance, I can understand why you would.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM
WSI Prelate

ESPN top 100 was kindest to Sox rookies. I believe we landed 5 or 6 on the list, which is amazing with how bad this farm system has been of late. Then again, ESPN doesn't get much right.

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:08 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
In regards to Flowers/Viciedo when asked about them in the comments, Goldstein replied: “Viceido was closer than Flowers, who I have trouble evaluating as a catcher.”
I'm not sure if I follow his logic...even if Flowers has to move to 1st, he still projects better as a hitter than Allen, and would be a better fielder as well as it appears Allen is DH material only in the majors.

And I wonder how if he is having trouble evaluating Flowers as a catcher after three years in the minors he can evaluate Viciedo when all that is around on him is a very small amount of BP on video and 2nd or 3rd hand scouting reviews? (And don't get me wrong--I think Viceido will be a great player. I just don't think these rankings make a lot of sense but were pulled out of someones you-know-where without fully thinking them through.)
Old 02-20-2009, 09:46 PM
WSI High Priest

My nephew has scooted on up to #31 !!!

SMO