White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Shorts View Post
That was a well said summary of your experience at Comiskey. I agree with all of it. I really miss that place a lot.

Another thing to note is that times were really different then. When I was a kid, my folks had no problem with me roaming the park on my own and letting me discover what great place it really was. Can't do that today for both reasons of society/safety and it's not allowed.
Don't want to get into politics, but it was a heck of a lot more dangerous 25/30 years ago than today.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpivack View Post
Don't want to get into politics, but it was a heck of a lot more dangerous 25/30 years ago than today.
whatever...
"I don't have a gamblin' problem. I'm winnin', that's not a problem. That's like sayin' Michael Jordan has a basketball problem, or Def Leppard has an awesomeness problem. So why don't you pour some sugar on that?" - Earl Hickey
Old 01-29-2009, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Those videos were great! I remember walking through there in the 1990 season, and feeling excited about the new park...watching these makes you miss the old place. Being an Andy Frain also gave you access to different areas as well...used to love to seat flip at the end of game. You could find serious $$ there, especially in the golden box sections.

Thome25 - it was cozy....it was home for 80 years. But, as others have said, it was time to go. You can always do "what if?" - if the $$ had been spent to keep the place up....etc etc etc...

And I also was one of those kids who was allowed to literally disappear in the park with $5....I think I walked around the park 4x in one game when I was 6 or 7. Times are different now.

Great finds!!

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

Thank you for sharing this. I was born in 1984 and my memories of old Comiskey are very blurry.

One thing I noticed on pt. 1, around 5:00 into the video he pans the scoreboard and they have an ad for "Scott Petersen. The Official Hot Dog of the Chicago White Sox." I have never even heard of these dogs.

www.twitter.com/kevin_house
Old 01-29-2009, 12:44 PM
WSI Regular

Know what strikes me most about the videos? How quiet it is. All you hear is mostly Nancy. I understand the realities of modern pro sports with videos/scoreboard animations/music/etc. but it just really did have a different feel and I don't think it was only because of the ballpark.

I too went to my first Sox game the first year of the new park so it was very nice to see that footage, kinda puts some pieces together for me.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:49 PM
WSI Personality

Nice find!

I swear I can smell the food when they're walking the concourse. Good times there.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
. . . It had a characteristic smell too, mostly of beer, hot dogs, and cigars. . .
This was the first thing I noticed when I went to my first game and still my favorite memory of that day.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Banned

these are awesome, I would love to go back in time and attend a game at Old Comiskey in the late 70's through the 80's period
Old 01-29-2009, 01:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Great videos. My goodness I miss that place!

Those great arches.

The color of the yellow piping in between the green seats.

The tremendous sounds that echoed through there, from Nancy, to Harry, to the roar of the crowd, to the explosion of the fireworks.

An interesting reaction, though, I have always had something of an irrational anger about the fact that Comiskey was torn down and not refurbished. But watching that video and looking at how narrow those concourses are you can tell, it was time to move on to a new place.

USCF is a good park, and it is becoming the true home of the Sox, but there will only ever be one Comiskey.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 01-29-2009, 03:50 PM
WSI Prelate

My very first game was the last night at Old Comiskey. Just such a beautiful park. USCF is a very nice place to watch a game and they've done a hell of a job making it into what it is today, but it can't hold a candle to Old Comiskey. I am kind of curious as to what the life span of the new ball park will be as it is soon to be 20 years old and it seems like the average life span of a park is about 30-40 years old these days. If we get a new park, which might not happen for another 40 years, I hope that they make it look more like the old one.

Go Sox!!!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
WSI Regular

It's kind of bizarre that the video shows Ozzie bringing out the line-ups before this game. Did Torborg have him do it a lot?
Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
It's kind of bizarre that the video shows Ozzie bringing out the line-ups before this game. Did Torborg have him do it a lot?
Yes, he and Fisk were captains. I think Ozzie brought it out the majority of the time.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Absolutely great videos! Even though I never had the opportunitiy of going there (even if I did, I wouldn't be able to remember it), I felt like I was there.

I loved the video shots of the arches. Man, did those things look ancient! That looked like a really fun place to watch a game.

"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all."- Former Orioles Manager Earl Weaver
Go Sox and Go Bearcats!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Comiskey was my home away from home starting in 1955, so many memories. In the 60s Saturday nights were date nights but Friday nights was a Sox game with the guys sitting in the upper deck in LF for $1.50. My last game there was the next night after this guys video, we beat the BoSox 4-0 on Fri. Sept 14.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

I know that Gene Honda was the P.A. announcer that season but clearly it was not Gene at this game. Anyone know who that was?

Otherwise these are some freakin' sweet videos.