White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Alright, time to see what all these changes will bring... GO SOX!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
doublem23's Avatar
doublem23 doublem23 is offline
MMXXIII
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Roscoe Village
Posts: 52,976
Blog Entries: 5
Default Obama-styled hat designs

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/61341


Actual images of the hats included. Some notes:
  1. Design approved by MLB. Waiting for the OK by Obama's administration before they can be produced.
  2. Proceeds go to unnamed charity
  3. You know WSI's rules, no politics in this thread. Consider this your warning.
__________________
2014 Obligatory Attendance & Record Tracker

0-2

LAST GAME: April 16 - Boston 6, Sox 4 (14)
NEXT GAME: April 26 vs. Tampa Bay
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Thome25 Thome25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Posts: 4,145
Default

Two things: The only way I'll be able to wear that cap is if it comes fitted......I have a ginormous melon.

Brooks said Obama has made it hip to be a White Sox fan.......as if it was unhip before?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:15 AM
ChiSoxFan81 ChiSoxFan81 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oak Forest
Posts: 1,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
Two things: The only way I'll be able to wear that cap is if it comes fitted......I have a ginormous melon.

Brooks said Obama has made it hip to be a White Sox fan.......as if it was unhip before?
I thought the best part of being a Sox fan is that it was unhip?These just seem a little goofy to me. Everyone knows he's a Sox fan. Did the Rangers ever but out a Bush cap? Just seems like a silly idea.
__________________
2012 Attendance Record 4-1
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
MushMouth's Avatar
MushMouth MushMouth is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: North Mayfair, Chicago
Posts: 1,295
Default

I thought for sure the "o" in the sox was going to be the campaign symbol for these charity hats.
__________________
Attendance record: 2-0
Next Up: ??
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Thome25 Thome25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Posts: 4,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
I thought the best part of being a Sox fan is that it was unhip?These just seem a little goofy to me. Everyone knows he's a Sox fan. Did the Rangers ever but out a Bush cap? Just seems like a silly idea.
It's not often that the White Sox get national media attention......especially when linked to the POTUS. If they want to flaunt it I say let 'em......take that Yankees, Red Sawx, and Cubs. No amount of ESPN propaganda could top this......enjoy it!!

Besides, the money would go to charity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 AM
soxfan21 soxfan21 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 15 Miles From The Cell
Posts: 1,114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
I thought the best part of being a Sox fan is that it was unhip?These just seem a little goofy to me. Everyone knows he's a Sox fan. Did the Rangers ever but out a Bush cap? Just seems like a silly idea.
Agree, now we'll have all the bandwagon fans coming aboard cause its "hip" to be a sox fan now. Don't really mind the design though, would be nice if it was fitted, or at least one of those flex fit type deals.
__________________
WEEKEND HOME: Sec. 115 Row 10
NEXT GAME: April 26
2014 Season Attendance Record: 2-1
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Thome25 Thome25 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Elkton, Maryland
Posts: 4,145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan21 View Post
Agree, now we'll have all the bandwagon fans coming aboard cause its "hip" to be a sox fan now.


If bandwagon fans $$$ is still green and it gets put into the product on the field then....c'mon aboard bandwagon fans.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
I thought the best part of being a Sox fan is that it was unhip?These just seem a little goofy to me. Everyone knows he's a Sox fan. Did the Rangers ever but out a Bush cap? Just seems like a silly idea.
Well, I couldn't disagree with you more. There were major increases in Sox apparel bought after the election...coincidence?

Get as much out of this as you can.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
ChiSoxFan81 ChiSoxFan81 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oak Forest
Posts: 1,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thome25 View Post
It's not often that the White Sox get national media attention......especially when linked to the POTUS. If they want to flaunt it I say let 'em......take that Yankees, Red Sawx, and Cubs. No amount of ESPN propaganda could top this......enjoy it!!

Besides, the money would go to charity.
Yeah, I'm all for the charity aspect of course. Obviously there is a market for these, even just as a novelty item. I still think they're silly. I mean, at least with the Rangers, Bush owned the team, I could see something like this back then. But Obama is just a fan. I dunno. Whatever floats your boat I guess. BTW, my opinion has no basis in politics.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
RedHeadPaleHoser RedHeadPaleHoser is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,403
Default

Love the charity aspect of it. I think it speaks volumes to the class of the organization not trying to cash in on this new "wave" of popularity. I know I'll buy one if it does get approved.

I'd like to see the team wear them IF POTUS throws out the 1st pitch at the home opener.
__________________
"....you can never ask me why, and we're gonna hurt some people."

"Whose car are we gonna take?"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
esbrechtel esbrechtel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,647
Default

So it is basically a regular sox hat with an obama patch? (the photo is a bit small....)

I heard brooks say that sox caps went up 25% once he was elected...I dont think I would ever buy a sports cap just because a politician wears it but to each his own
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:32 AM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadPaleHoser View Post
Love the charity aspect of it. I think it speaks volumes to the class of the organization not trying to cash in on this new "wave" of popularity.
That's exactly what they're doing, though. Yeah, the money from the hats isn't going to them, but think about the publicity they're going to get from selling them, the people wearing the hats...it all gets your name out there which will mean more $$$.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 12,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
Yeah, I'm all for the charity aspect of course. Obviously there is a market for these, even just as a novelty item. I still think they're silly. I mean, at least with the Rangers, Bush owned the team, I could see something like this back then. But Obama is just a fan. I dunno. Whatever floats your boat I guess. BTW, my opinion has no basis in politics.

And I also question sometimes how big of a fan he really is.

I smell post 2005 as are so many other people.

Unless I can have a face to face with him and have him disect the 1988 roster with him mentioning a Freddy Manrique and a Russ Morman.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM
ChiSoxFan81 ChiSoxFan81 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oak Forest
Posts: 1,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadPaleHoser View Post
Love the charity aspect of it. I think it speaks volumes to the class of the organization not trying to cash in on this new "wave" of popularity. I know I'll buy one if it does get approved.

I'd like to see the team wear them IF POTUS throws out the 1st pitch at the home opener.
I don't think MLB would approve, nor do I think all of the players would take kindly to that. For the same reason that this thread is probably teetering on being Roadhoused (really trying not to).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2009, 10:39 AM
oeo oeo is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 16,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
And I also question sometimes how big of a fan he really is.

I smell post 2005 as are so many other people.

Unless I can have a face to face with him and have him disect the 1988 roster with him mentioning a Freddy Manrique and a Russ Morman.
First off, he threw out the first pitch at the second game of the ALCS, so the 'post-2005' doesn't really hold.

Second, even if 2005 was what captured him, so what? I'm sure the Sox gained quite a few fans because of what happened in 2005. That somehow makes them a 'smaller' fan? It's 2009, not 2006. Anyone who just became a fan after 2005 could know quite a bit about the team. Maybe some are even 'bigger' fans than you.

I see someone in a Sox hat, I smile. I don't care when they bought it, or when the Sox became relevant to them. Who gives a ****? They're a fan now, and even if they're not, they're still advertising for the Sox.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.