White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
Congratulations on the Rookie records for HR and RBI in April, Jose!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

I understand there might be more to the project, but nothing suggests that besides you saying so. But from what I see right now and whats been announced, this is a complete wasted opportunity.

“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.” - Ansel Adams
Old 02-22-2009, 12:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Edit: See this post: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...&postcount=359 for a map of the original plans. It seems really unlikely they'd go ahead with the project at all unless they had a plan to do the other parts, since the other parts seem to be the point. Makes sense to make sure to get the part done that 100% needs to be done to start the season and do the other parts afterwards.
well if they don't finish the project as planned, its a total failure.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
well if they don't finish the project as planned, its a total failure.
If you say so.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
If you say so.
sorry, IMO. The new design is not more inviting, architecturally boring and insignificant, and a huge missed opportunity to do something big that would add to the vibrancey of going to a game. This does nothing but move around a ramp or two and shield the fans from the sunshine while riding an escalator.

I really hope there is something more to this.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
sorry, IMO. The new design is not more inviting, architecturally boring and insignificant, and a huge missed opportunity to do something big that would add to the vibrancey of going to a game. This does nothing but move around a ramp or two and shield the fans from the sunshine while riding an escalator.

It's a ramp. It's not supposed to "add to the vibrancey of going to a game". It's obvious that the Sox know that the Cell isn't perfect, and they've done some massive amounts of work to it, I don't know why you seem so skeptical about there being any future parts to this. It might be a year or two, but it'll happen.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
It's a ramp. It's not supposed to "add to the vibrancey of going to a game".
why not? why not incorporate a large indoor/outdoor bar into the plans? have it be an extension of a tailgate in the parking lot? I'd rather see something creative. I just don't see what this adds or how it improves anything.

Quote:
It's obvious that the Sox know that the Cell isn't perfect, and they've done some massive amounts of work to it, I don't know why you seem so skeptical about there being any future parts to this. It might be a year or two, but it'll happen.
well I'm looking at the render, and I don't see where or how this can be improved unless they just continue something all the way to Wentworth, which I think they should. The enclosed escalators makes no sense to me and the staircase is just plain ugly.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:

Don't worry, I read somewhere the Great America people are opening a new theme park in Lot B.

All hail The Rick
Old 02-22-2009, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Don't worry, I read somewhere the Great America people are opening a new theme park in Lot B.
excuse me for expecting a little more. Can you tell me how this improves what is already there?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
excuse me for expecting a little more. Can you tell me how this improves what is already there?
Well, you seem to want to be entertained the moment you get within 2 blocks of the ballpark since the Sox game is not enough to keep you happy. I figure that perhaps a bunch of roller coasters and the Batman ride would make you look forward to coming to a Sox game. That's all.

Curses the Illinois Sports Facility Authority for merely building a ramp to get into the building! What were they thinking? Especially in this booming economy where everyone has money burning a hole in their pockets.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:12 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Well, you seem to want to be entertained the moment you get within 2 blocks of the ballpark since the Sox game is not enough to keep you happy. I figure that perhaps a bunch of roller coasters and the Batman ride would make you look forward to coming to a Sox game. That's all.

Curses the Illinois Sports Facility Authority for merely building a ramp to get into the building! What were they thinking? Especially in this booming economy where everyone has money burning a hole in their pockets.
exactly. why do this at all if it doesn't improve or add anything?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
exactly. why do this at all if it doesn't improve or add anything?
I was referring to the restaurant/bar that may or may not be in there.

I just love how people (not just you, CBOT) are jumping to conclusions about the Gate V project before we even really know what the end product will be.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I was referring to the restaurant/bar that may or may not be in there.

I just love how people (not just you, CBOT) are jumping to conclusions about the Gate V project before we even really know what the end product will be.
Just because the entire plan may or may not be released, its fair to criticize what we do know. And like I said, I don't see how this poor design can be drastically improved.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have heard over the years (but never really verified) that the ramps and escalators of USCF were designed and constructed so poorly that they have been trouble from Day 1. Enclosing the escalators was not so much for the fans but for the machinery of the escalators themselves. Just walking up and down the ramps you'll notice they are in constant need of patching. I would think from the shape of it, Gate 3 is next.

Cbot is right. The renovation has all the charm of a tollway oasis, but I think it was a project born out of necessity rather than an attempt to class up the joint. That said, I kind of like that staircase coming off the eastern bridge. I never liked the "eternaramps" where you had to walk three blocks to get down one level.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Oh, I did see those. Thanks.

That's what I was trying to find, oeo.

cbotnyse, I think I understand your point, but I also think your passion for architecture makes your standards a little out of reach. I would love to see something earth-shattering as well, but I am willing to settle for small improvements one by one. I know you don't think it's an improvement at all, but I think it is. I always hated how those ramps blocked the look of the ballpark, so to me taking some of those away is a good thing. I also think this is just the first steps towards additional development in this area, likely the team store and bar.

My simple critique is I wish they would change the green steelwork in the renderings to black to match the rest of the theme of the park.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 02-22-2009, 09:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
why not? why not incorporate a large indoor/outdoor bar into the plans? have it be an extension of a tailgate in the parking lot? I'd rather see something creative. I just don't see what this adds or how it improves anything.

well I'm looking at the render, and I don't see where or how this can be improved unless they just continue something all the way to Wentworth, which I think they should. The enclosed escalators makes no sense to me and the staircase is just plain ugly.
You ask "why not incorporate a large indoor/outdoor bar into the plans?", when there's perfectly logical answers for that - mainly, time constraits (and maybe money, too). It's obvious to anybody that the only way the plan makes sense is if they do follow through and attach the retail to it, and I'm sure the Sox know that full well. It would be one thing if there weren't plans out there showing that stuff, but considering there are, it will happen. You're like the person who complains about the roster in November. Give it time.

As for what they've done now, I suspect the enclosed escalators might help with maintainece, because it seems to stand to reason that being exposed to the weather all the time might wear on them. And the look is obviously a matter of opinion, but I personally like it, and considering that people generally hate the ramps getting rid of one won't upset too many people. And I like the staircase - walking up one staircase to get to the 100 level will be way less annoying than 4 ramps or whatever. Plus, the new elevators. Sure, $15 million seems like a lot, but it's not actually the Sox paying for it, and it does have some clear benefits, so, yeah.