White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2008, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Default BA's AFL Top 20

3 White Sox on the list.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1815

(Flowers is still listed as Braves)

For the Lazy:

7. Gordon Beckham, SS (White Sox)
15. Tyler Flowers, C (Braves)
16. Aaron Poreda, LHP (White Sox)

Last edited by DirtySox; 12-04-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
3 White Sox on the list.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=1815

For the Lazy:

7. Gordon Beckham, SS (White Sox)
15. Tyler Flowers, C (Braves)
16. Aaron Poreda, LHP (White Sox)
Not only did MacDougal steal money from the White Sox, but now it looks like Cortes will remind us often of how bad that trade panned out.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
Not only did MacDougal steal money from the White Sox, but now it looks like Cortes will remind us often of how bad that trade panned out.
MacDougal did his job when we were trying to repeat.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
And completely **** himself outside of those 25 innings that resulted in missing the playoffs. We'd all clearly reverse that trade if possible.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:34 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Two months of being good .vs. Two years of bad god awful.....

He's just saying that obviously, in hindsight, we didn't come out on top....
Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
Not anymore
Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And completely **** himself outside of those 25 innings that resulted in missing the playoffs. We'd all clearly reverse that trade if possible.
Obviously, but this is stupid. Life would be a lot easier if you could know what was coming.

It's stupid to fret over Cortes. You wanted another championship in 2006, did you not? A reliever in the back end of our bullpen (or anywhere, for that matter) was a necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
Two months of being good .vs. Two years of bad god awful.....

He's just saying that obviously, in hindsight, we didn't come out on top....
Well, anyone can tell you that. In retrospect you don't make the trade, but you can't make decisions based on knowing what the future holds. At the time, we got a very good set up man in a bullpen that was a complete disaster. I'd be 100% behind the move again considering the circumstances.

Last edited by oeo; 12-04-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Getting anything for MacDougal was great for KC. But Cortes is no lock to do anything at the major league level. Although Phil Rogers reminds us readers of Cortes often.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53 PM
btrain929

Quote:
At the time, we got a very good set up man in a bullpen that was a complete disaster. I'd be 100% behind the move again considering the circumstances.
He wasn't THAT good when we got him. It's not like he was a lockdown reliever that got here and lost it. I'm pretty sure he was coming off injury 'cuz he only pitched 4 games for KC in '06 before we got him, and was coming off of seasons where he sported ERA's of 3.33 and 5.56....
Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
He wasn't THAT good when we got him. It's not like he was a lockdown reliever that got here and lost it. I'm pretty sure he was coming off injury 'cuz he only pitched 4 games for KC in '06 before we got him, and was coming off of seasons where he sported ERA's of 3.33 and 5.56....
Uh...yeah, he was that good in 2006 for us.

MacDougal was brought here to solidify a bad pen in 2006 when we were looking to repeat as World Champs. He did his job. It's not a situation where Kenny made a deal just to make one. We needed him, or anyone, badly. You just look like a moron whining about it now, when I'm sure you were liking MacDougal in the second half of 2006.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Obviously, but this is stupid. Life would be a lot easier if you could know what was coming.

It's stupid to fret over Cortes. You wanted another championship in 2006, did you not? A reliever in the back end of our bullpen (or anywhere, for that matter) was a necessity.
Some did have an idea of what was coming. I didn't like the trade then. I thought Lumsden alone was too much. And he wasn't that valuable because he pitched half his 25 innings in situations where we were losing or up big. MacDougal has been pretty craptacular his entire career outside of 1 1/3 seasons.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Some did have an idea of what was coming. I didn't like the trade then. I thought Lumsden alone was too much. And he wasn't that valuable because he pitched half his 25 innings in situations where we were losing or up big. MacDougal has been pretty craptacular his entire career outside of 1 1/3 seasons.
champagne030 = ?

Give me a break. At the time of the trade, we lead the Wild Card by 2 games. Should we have just thrown in the towel because Daniel Cortes might make the major leagues 3-4 years from then? Wow, I seriously hope you don't believe that.

BTW, your comment about his appearances was pulled out of your ass.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Quote:
Uh...yeah, he was that good in 2006 for us.

MacDougal was brought here to solidify a bad pen in 2006 when we were looking to repeat as World Champs. He did his job. It's not a situation where Kenny made a deal just to make one. We needed him, or anyone, badly. You just look like a moron whining about it now, when I'm sure you were liking MacDougal in the second half of 2006.
I said he wasn't that good of a reliever at the time we acquired him, not what he did here. Reading comprehension CAN be your friend....

And I'm not whining about it, but what good does it do bringing up the good 25IP's he had with us, when he sucked for 2 years after that? That's like saying Boone Logan was a success here because of what he did in '08 from April-Jun, but not caring about what he did in '06, '07, and the end of '08.

And, in typical oeo fashion, when you run out of stuff to say, go off topic and call someone a moron. My god.....

You stay classy, San Diego....

Quote:
Thank you, my thoughts exactly. I didn't expect much from him coming here because he was a pretty bad reliever in his time before here. And it didn't take long 'til he returned to said status.

Last edited by btrain929; 12-04-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
champagne030 = ?

Give me a break. At the time of the trade, we lead the Wild Card by 2 games. Should we have just thrown in the towel because Daniel Cortes might make the major leagues 3-4 years from then? Wow, I seriously hope you don't believe that.
There were several questions about that trade at the time. And yes, pass on a POS pitcher and go for a substitute.

Quote:
BTW, your comment about his appearances was pulled out of your ass.
He made 29 appearances during 2006 and 4 were with the Royals. 16 of those 29 were non-save situations. So it was pulled from memory and backed up by Baseball Reference. Want to play again?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I said he wasn't that good of a reliever at the time we acquired him, not what he did here. Reading comprehension can be your friend....
Haha, don't act like what you wrote was clear.

Quote:
And I'm not whining about it, but what good does it do bringing up the good 25IP's he had with us, when he sucked for 2 years after that? That's like saying Boone Logan was a success here because of what he did in '08 from April-Jun, but not caring about what he did in '06, '07, and the end of '08.
I never once said that. My only issue is this whole fantasy world where you can see into the future and reverse trades.

In fact, I said in retrospect you don't make the deal. But fretting over a guy that was 3-4 years away at the time, when we sorely needed bullpen help is silly.

Quote:
And, in typical oeo fashion, when you run out of stuff to say, go off topic and call someone a moron. My god.....
I didn't call you a moron. I said you look like a moron if you're going to whine about it.