White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2008, 07:40 PM
PJGordon PJGordon is offline
New At WSI
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Forest Park
Posts: 3
Agree Read Pascal Marco's article on WSI

Everyone should read Marco's article on WSI called "Second City No More". It makes you think about life, politics and sticking to the Cubs. This guy is an excellent writer and Sox fan par excellence. Please print more Marco so we can make it to Spring.

You go Marco!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
SOXfnNlansing SOXfnNlansing is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oak Lawn IL
Posts: 2,828
Default

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-18-2008, 06:27 AM
TornLabrum's Avatar
TornLabrum TornLabrum is offline
Brrrrooooowwwwffffffff!!!
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Joliet, IL
Posts: 13,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJGordon View Post
Everyone should read Marco's article on WSI called "Second City No More". It makes you think about life, politics and sticking to the Cubs. This guy is an excellent writer and Sox fan par excellence. Please print more Marco so we can make it to Spring.

You go Marco!
Hi Pascal!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2008, 09:50 AM
ChiSoxFan81 ChiSoxFan81 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oak Forest
Posts: 1,733
Default

Pretty good stuff, but "The Second City" refers to the Great Chicago Fire, and the subsequent rebuilding, NOT to the population status being 2nd to NY (prior to being knocked to 3rd by LA).
__________________
2014 Attendance Record 2 - 0
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2008, 11:09 AM
soxinem1 soxinem1 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Born and raised on the SW Side.....
Posts: 5,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxFan81 View Post
Pretty good stuff, but "The Second City" refers to the Great Chicago Fire, and the subsequent rebuilding, NOT to the population status being 2nd to NY (prior to being knocked to 3rd by LA).
Much like the false weather-related story about how Chicago was named 'The Windy City.'
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-18-2008, 06:45 PM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,747
Blog Entries: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post
Much like the false weather-related story about how Chicago was named 'The Windy City.'
It actually is true. There have been several references to Chicago as the "windy city" that predate the accepted "coinage" of the term by a New York writer (Charles Dana?). Several newspaper stories in Cincinnati refer to Chicago as such as early as the 1870's.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
soxinem1 soxinem1 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Born and raised on the SW Side.....
Posts: 5,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
It actually is true. There have been several references to Chicago as the "windy city" that predate the accepted "coinage" of the term by a New York writer (Charles Dana?). Several newspaper stories in Cincinnati refer to Chicago as such as early as the 1870's.
I believe the 'Windy City' moniker is political, and has to do with Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:01 PM
I want Mags back I want Mags back is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bloomington, IN via Flossmoor
Posts: 4,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxinem1 View Post
I believe the 'Windy City' moniker is political, and has to do with Milwaukee.
Cincinnati
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:42 PM
pmck003 pmck003 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,054
Default

"Chicago's wind is often called "The Hawk.""
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
soxinem1 soxinem1 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Born and raised on the SW Side.....
Posts: 5,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I want Mags back View Post
I'm going to research the subject, but IIRC, it goes back to about 1845-50 when MIL was a favorite to become the international port capital of the midwest due to it's access to Lake Michigan, and large potential workforce.

But a bunch of Aldermen from here went to DC and lobbied Chicago as a better alternative for an internation shipping port.

Milwaukee was sure they had it in the bag and did little to trumpet their cause. When it was announced that Chicago was the choice, the Milwaukee politicians noted that the 'win-bags' from Chi-Town pulled a fast one on them.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-21-2008, 05:48 PM
soxrepublican soxrepublican is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 244
Default

Great article!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
AZSoxPosse AZSoxPosse is offline
New At WSI
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 6
Default Thank You!

Thank you for your comments. Glad you liked it.

Pascal Marco
__________________
AZ Sox Posse now recruiting members for the 2008 MLB Playoffs!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Railsplitter Railsplitter is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 7,001
Default

In what publication is this article?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.