White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 AM
WSI Regular

Default Wondering about Beckham

I have not heard much about Gordon Beckham since we drafted him, is there any chance that he might be able to play second next year when we move Alexei to SS? I remember seeing him play in college, and he kind of reminded me of Michael Young. I don't know if he is going to be that kind of player, but was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 AM
WSI Prelate

Next year?

No, he won't be ready.

MAYBE he'll get a September call-up in 2009. I think the Sox are going to be very careful in developing Beckham, they don't want to bring him up too fast.

"See you on a dark night."
Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

I would imagine they're breeding him for a 2010 arrival. I also think he'll spend his time at 2nd or even 3rd depending on how the club rounds out.

Edit: In fact, Beckham played 2b in yesterday's AFL game. I've been rather busy lately, so I can't tell you if he's been playing there the whole time.

Last edited by EMachine10; 10-30-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-30-2008, 09:05 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
I would imagine they're breeding him for a 2010 arrival. I also think he'll spend his time at 2nd or even 3rd depending on how the club rounds out.

Edit: In fact, Beckham played 2b in yesterday's AFL game. I've been rather busy lately, so I can't tell you if he's been playing there the whole time.
No he hasn't, he's played 2nd a couple of times but mainly he's been playing SS.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:36 AM
WSI Personality

I always get the feeling that our most people think our high draft picks are going to turn into great players and be good right from the start ala Evan Longoria, Ryan Howard, Frank Thomas, etc. It is great to see optimism about future players. I guess I just am either more negative or realistic, hopefully not the latter.

I just have a feeling this guy will be no better than Josh Fields, and hopefully better than Joe Borchard. I need it to be proven to me before I get excited, too many disappointments in the past.

I hope I am wrong and this guy turns in Alexei or TCQ.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:

Which is only because he was added to the team too late due to his late signing for the Sox to ask for a "priority" spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoky44 View Post
I always get the feeling that our most people think our high draft picks are going to turn into great players and be good right from the start ala Evan Longoria, Ryan Howard, Frank Thomas, etc. It is great to see optimism about future players. I guess I just am either more negative or realistic, hopefully not the latter.

I just have a feeling this guy will be no better than Josh Fields, and hopefully better than Joe Borchard. I need it to be proven to me before I get excited, too many disappointments in the past.

I hope I am wrong and this guy turns in Alexei or TCQ.
I'd be more optimistic than not about Gordon. Hasn't been overwhelmed and is coming off one of the best NCAA seasons in recent memory: .411/.519/.804 with 28 HR (in the SEC!). For a shortstop that's pretty fantastic. 54/30 BB/K ratio. Yikes.

Fields was good in college, but never THAT good.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Which is only because he was added to the team too late due to his late signing for the Sox to ask for a "priority" spot.

I'd be more optimistic than not about Gordon. Hasn't been overwhelmed and is coming off one of the best NCAA seasons in recent memory: .411/.519/.804 with 28 HR (in the SEC!). For a shortstop that's pretty fantastic. 54/30 BB/K ratio. Yikes.

Fields was good in college, but never THAT good.
College stats are so meaningless with the metal bat.

I think Beckham's future will be at 2nd. At best he's a solid everyday 2nd. But not an all star.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

I like to think that he could produce something along the lines of what Troy Tulowitzki did in his breakout year (not this past season, but the year before). A more leveled off .290 - 20 or 25 - 100 isn't out of the question in my eyes.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM
btrain929

Quote:
I like to think that he could produce something along the lines of what Troy Tulowitzki did in his breakout year (not this past season, but the year before). A more leveled off .290 - 20 or 25 - 100 isn't out of the question in my eyes.
In his first year? That would be on the high end, in my opinion.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post

MAYBE he'll get a September call-up in 2009. I think the Sox are going to be very careful in developing Beckham, they don't want to bring him up too fast.
Unless Buddy Bell has made huge changes in player development he will advance as fast as he hits at any given level. The White Sox don't really have a priority for developing complete ballplayers.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Unless Buddy Bell has made huge changes in player development he will advance as fast as he hits at any given level. The White Sox don't really have a priority for developing complete ballplayers.
You make a great point. The Sox have rush many of their prospects and they come up with so much hype and expectations, that when they fail, they don't know how to handle it.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
In his first year? That would be on the high end, in my opinion.
No, no not in the first year. But I think that's where his career averages will flatten out. He could develop really good power and hit 30+, who knows, but I would take that line consistently after a few years of service.

If we're projecting a first year line, a .275, 20, 85 isn't out of reach, i don't think.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:53 AM
The Grand Wazoo

Carlos Lee couldn't play a position, Aaron Rowand played out of position his entire time here, Mike Caruso was a bust...
Old 10-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Carlos Lee couldn't play a position, Aaron Rowand played out of position his entire time here, Mike Caruso was a bust...
...Josh Fields can't hit for average or catch a cold, Danny Richar never learned to hit, Boone Logan was rushed from ROOKIE BALL to the bigs...
Old 10-30-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post
...Josh Fields can't hit for average or catch a cold, Danny Richar never learned to hit, PERIOD, Boone Logan was rushed from ROOKIE BALL to the bigs...
Uhhh...Danny Richar was not with us that long. Boone was rushed but showed flashes of talent.

Daver, I understand your concern, but don't quite get the comparison to Beckham. Gordon is not Fields, he's not Caruso, Lee, Rowand, or anyone else. He's a solid ballplayer. I don't understand the negativity surrounding him. All reports say Gordon is a quality fielder with above average range and average hands. If anything, they'll have to shift him to 2B. Big deal.

Yes, metal bats inflate statistics, but those numbers are great compared to guys using metal bats. He's also holding his own in the AFL and did well in his minor league debut.

AND he led the Cape Cod League in HR last summer.