GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM
WSI Guru

Default Cooper On Pitching Staff

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=cws

With all due respect to Don, if the Sox are wondering who their 5th starter is going to be for a FULL season and if either Logan and MacDougal are in the bullpen, it could be a long season.

Kenny needs to get rid of the deadwood again like before the 08 season and bring in a competent 5th starter.

Lip
Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

With all due respect to Don, if the Sox are wondering who their 5th starter is going to be for a FULL season and if either Logan and MacDougal are in the bullpen, it could be a long season.

Kenny needs to get rid of the deadwood again like before the 08 season and bring in a competent 5th starter.

Lip
I'd like us to sign Juan Cruz. He's been pretty stable in the AZ bullpen for the past couple of years. As for the fifth starter, I think Richard might get the call. We're not going to sign any good pitchers and I don't really know what we can trade for.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Why are you assuming Coop plans on "wondering" who is the 5th starter? It seems like we have multiple options that he feels he can be comforable with.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
WSI Guru

Turner:

There are a number of potentially serviceable vets available for a reasonable price. It happens every year and for what it's worth, the latest I was told was that Kenny wasn't just going to hand the job to Richard or Broadway, that he wants someone brought in to push them.

We'll see.

Jab, neither Broadway nor Richard impressed me that much...both had their moments but overall...meh. There was a reason Richard had an ERA of 6 or so...he was getting hammered more often then not.

Lip
Old 10-29-2008, 04:55 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Lip
Uh...MacDougal and Logan were not on the 25-man roster at the end of the year. They were brought up when rosters expanded, so they would not be in our bullpen if we were to keep everything the same.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by turners56 View Post
I'd like us to sign Juan Cruz. He's been pretty stable in the AZ bullpen for the past couple of years. As for the fifth starter, I think Richard might get the call. We're not going to sign any good pitchers and I don't really know what we can trade for.
Paying relievers every year is not a very good plan. The bullpen is solid right now (as long as Linebrink comes back...we have four solid guys in Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, and Dotel; if our starters don't **** the bed, we can depend on those four). It could get better, but we're a lot better off now than we were a year ago, so we don't really need to do whatever it takes to bring in the big free agent reliever (like Linebrink).

We're eventually going to have to get help from the minor leagues, whether you like it or not. And again, there are a few options down there that we haven't even seen yet.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Aaron Poreda..done.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
Aaron Poreda..done.
He's still in AA, isn't he? He looks like another coming of Matt Thornton if you ask me. Which wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Paying relievers every year is not a very good plan. The bullpen is solid right now (as long as Linebrink comes back...we have four solid guys in Jenks, Thornton, Linebrink, and Dotel; if our starters don't **** the bed, we can depend on those four). It could get better, but we're a lot better off now than we were a year ago, so we don't really need to do whatever it takes to bring in the big free agent reliever (like Linebrink).

We're eventually going to have to get help from the minor leagues, whether you like it or not. And again, there are a few options down there that we haven't even seen yet.
I guess. The three-man rotation worked well for about two months this season. The only thing that scares me is if even one of those guys goes down or becomes ineffective, our entire bullpen will start sucking.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I guess. The three-man rotation worked well for about two months this season. The only thing that scares me is if even one of those guys goes down or becomes ineffective, our entire bullpen will start sucking.
Well, any team that's playing with three starters is going to have a bad bullpen. You have to remember when they really struggled in September, our starters were not getting the job done, either. With the exception of Buehrle, they were not throwing any innings. Of course they stepped it up in the last three games.

If there's a priority on the pitching staff, it's to get another starter. The bullpen should be fine as long as the rotation is doing their job.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
Well, any team that's playing with three starters is going to have a bad bullpen. You have to remember when they really struggled in September, our starters were not getting the job done, either. With the exception of Buehrle, they were not throwing any innings.

Of course they stepped it up in the last three games.
I'm talking about the bullpen, as in Dotel, Linebrink, and Thornton.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I'm talking about the bullpen, as in Dotel, Linebrink, and Thornton.
Ah. Well, look at when it did work: when we were getting good starting pitching. Get another starter, and we should be alright.

And next year, we'll be in quite a different situation if a starter goes down. We'll have Richard, Poreda, and Contreras should be back by August (although who knows how effective he will be, if he even can come back)...which is a lot better than Richard and Broadway.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty99 View Post
Aaron Poreda..done.
except he doesn't any any resemblance of a breaking ball. I don't how care how hard you throw, if you have nothing to go with the fastball and changeup, you won't succeed.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
except he doesn't any any resemblance of a breaking ball. I don't how care how hard you throw, if you have nothing to go with the fastball and changeup, you won't succeed.
Matt Thronton's had two real successful seasons with pretty much nothing but a fastball. He has an average slider and he doesn't locate it well most of the time. If you only pitch one inning in an outing, a 97 MPH fastball with good location can be devastating. Poreda won't make a good starter, but he'll make a hell of a LOOGY or a middle relief guy.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Lip

Oh come on. How many teams not named the rays know who their 5th starter is for next year (or 4th or 3rd starter for that matter). How many teams know what there Bullpen will look like next year?

The problem with getting a free agent pitcher to fill the 5th spot everytime is that you never develop those pitchers in the minor leagues everyone gripes about that we don't develope. Your right Broadway and Richard did struggle more often then not, but they weren't conistently put out there. Most rookie pitchers do experience quite a bit of failure but must be allowed to fail and learn no matter how painful it is to us to watch. Where would we be now if we didn't let Danks and Floyd get lit up for a full year in 07?

Now, Maybe a FA pitcher or trade will appear that is too good to pass up. But lets not go get someone like Steve Trachsel instead of giving Richard or Broadway a start.

Of course getting a Quality 5th starter and letting Broadway adn Richard develop in the pen may be an option as well and may kill 2 birds with on stone.