White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 07:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
1) I'm pretty sure if you're playing in the MLB, to handle pressure, you need talent. How can you handle pressure playing pro ball w/o it?
2) No, I just find it funny that about 2 months ago nobody would have even considered him ready to play with the Sox in '09, but now because of his strong AFL showing, he can step in by June?

I honestly don't even know what we're conflicting about. I think we both feel that Getz/Nix will get the first shot, and the only way Beckham gets his shot is if those 2 suck AND Beckham is tearing it up in the minors. But I'm not gonna expect him to be the savior if he comes up mid-09, and I think some people (not you in particular) are...
Please. Nix and Getz should not be on equal footing. This organization knows Getz, Nix is simply competing for a utility spot.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Grebeck View Post
Please. Nix and Getz should not be on equal footing. This organization knows Getz, Nix is simply competing for a utility spot.
A utility guy that only plays 1 position?

Maybe KW doesn't expect Nix to be on equal footing, but felt it would help push Getz and make him THINK there's a competition. He certainly doesn't want to come into spring training just giving Getz the job (ala BA in '06)....
Old 11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
1) I'm pretty sure if you're playing in the MLB, to handle pressure, you need talent. How can you handle pressure playing pro ball w/o it?
***?

I don't even know where you're going anymore. Grasping at straws now.

We're comparing our talent to TB's. I didn't say that our guys had no talent.

Quote:
2) No, I just find it funny that about 2 months ago nobody would have even considered him ready to play with the Sox in '09, but now because of his strong AFL showing, he can step in by June?
Yeah, usually when you show progress (or in Beckham's case: play), things get noticed.

Quote:
I honestly don't even know what we're conflicting about.
Ask yourself. People think it's possible that he might be well ahead of the curve. For whatever reason, you think that's totally out of the realm of possibility. And for someone who has made it well known that you hate all things Daver, you seem to love his rushing prospects theory.

If Beckham is tearing up AA, you want him sitting down there in AA? Even if what we're getting from Getz is "okay", you want Beckham sitting down in Birmingham, playing against competition he's better than?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM
btrain929

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
If Beckham is tearing up AA, you want him sitting down there in AA? Even if what we're getting from Getz is "okay", you want Beckham sitting down in Birmingham, playing against competition he's better than?
Show me where I've said that.

I've already said about 3 times in this thread that if Getz sucks and Beckham is tearing it up, absolutely bring him up. But IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, I'm not going to hold my breath for that to happen and I'm not expecting that to happen. And if it does happen, I'm not going to expect him to hit .300/.370/.560 or something gaudy like that. Does he have the potential to become that? Absolutely. I just think it's a tad unrealistic to expect such greatness from him so quickly.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if neither one was on the team come April.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaloosh View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if neither one was on the team come April.
I'm not really sure what else they'd do with Getz. He's not much in a trade and deserves a spot on the 25 after his tenure in the minors.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post
To me, it depends:

First, if the SOX are in the thick of a pennant race, I'd be adverse to throwing the kid to the wolves in such a situation. If the SOX [God forbid] are out of it, I'd be more willing bring him up sooner this year.

Secondly, I'd also look at the complete picture with respect to Beckham, BEYOND his ability to hit at AA and his numbers alone. Meaning, I'd want to be sure that he can field his position adequately. I got sick of seeing this team give up bases and runs by screwing up run-downs. So, I'd want to make sure that he can catch, throw, and make the right decisions. I'd want Beckham to be somewhat comfortable at positions other than his natural position of SS.

I'd like Beckham to develop a strong understanding of the strikezone, and a good sense of patience, if he can. I'd like Beckham to be able to work a count when necessary. I'd like Beckham [and ALL of our prospects] to develop some semblance of situational hitting. To be able to bunt adequately. To be able to go the opposite way in the right situations. To be able to produce with RISP.

I'd also like for Beckham [and for that matter, ALL of the prospects] to be smart, opportunistic baserunners, even if they lack blazing footspeed. I'd like them to be able to take secondary leads. I'd like even our runners of average speed to be able to take advantage of inattentive pitchers and catchers with weak arms [as our opponents often do]. I'd like our prospects to be able to move from 1st to 3rd on a hit, and to score from 2nd on a hit to anywhere other than directly at the opposing LF. I'd like them to make smart decisions on the basepaths.

In sum, if we're in agreement that Beckham is a potential diamond, why not polish all facets of said diamond? Why not take advantage of the opportunity to turn a potentially-"pretty good" player into a good-to-great one? Why not make our own "pirhana"(sp?), but with a higher level of talent?
Old 11-21-2008, 03:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan View Post

In sum, if we're in agreement that Beckham is a potential diamond, why not polish all facets of said diamond? Why not take advantage of the opportunity to turn a potentially-"pretty good" player into a good-to-great one? Why not make our own "pirhana"(sp?), but with a higher level of talent?
I like this idea, also btw, when ever I read your posts, I always think of Khan from King of the Hill, and I read your posts in his voice in my head
Old 11-21-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not really sure what else they'd do with Getz. He's not much in a trade and deserves a spot on the 25 after his tenure in the minors.
I still believe that Kenny has intentions on getting a legit 2B, CF and 3B.

3B might be less likely now that he's added Betemit and Viciedo.

But, as far as 2b goes, I think that he could trade or sign a 2B for now. I don't think that Roberts is out of the discussion yet. Getz could end up being traded to a team that's giving up their starter to the Sox or he could end up back at Charlotte or as a utility player. I think that starting at 2B for the Sox is the least likely of the possibilities. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. But, I don't believe that he;s that good or that ready and mostly don't believe that Kenny would start with a DP combo of Ramirez/Getz given the fact that neither has any big league experience at those positions.

CF? Who knows. Anderson could start, backup or be traded. I think it's likely that Kenny adds a vet here to either start or backup with Anderson. I'm ok either way. The only thing that will piss me off is if Jerry Owens is part of any White Sox plan. He's the one guy that I wish would leave the organization. It's nothing personal. I just think that he has little to offer and little upside.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:20 AM
btrain929

Does anybody know why Beckham is done with the AFL? He hasn't played since the 15th, and he's listed as "Reassigned to Minors." He's also taken off of the listed Peoria roster, but everyone else from our system is still there and playing......?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:31 AM
WSI High Priest

He was removed to make room for Marquez who was on the Javelinas before the Swisher trade.

Also, AFL has ended. The title game was a few days ago I believe.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Does anybody know why Beckham is done with the AFL? He hasn't played since the 15th, and he's listed as "Reassigned to Minors." He's also taken off of the listed Peoria roster, but everyone else from our system is still there and playing......?
Just a guess... He's played a LOT of baseball since last March or even February. His team went to the final game in the College WS, so a long college season, followed by a ridiculously long post season followed by a summer of baseball after being drafted and then straight to the fall leagues. He has excelled at every level and really had nothing more to prove in the AFL. He may have requested some time off so he could enjoy the holidaze and then come back strong for ST in February.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-24-2008, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

More Poreda/Beckham hype in an AFL prospects article.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySox View Post
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

More Poreda/Beckham hype in an AFL prospects article.
From the sounds of that article...I will take Beckham over Getz this year. I really wanted the Sox to go after smoak but, 100 pts higher that Smoak in OPS??? The article says he has limited range (but competent) at short, anyone know how he has looked at 2b? Kid will at least get a chance to compete at ST. The only thing I don't want to happen is he is a backup this year, I would rather he play every day in the minors than waste away on the bench this year. I would like to see Poreda get that change-up worked out so he can come into the rotation rather than taking a relief role this year.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:30 AM
WSI High Priest

We lost Derek Rodriguez to the Rays in the Rule 5 if anyone was wondering.