White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 04:27 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Default Mark Mulder

Apparently the Cards are gonna buy him out. I also read he is finally healthy. I would like the Sox to take a chance on him for a cheap incentive contract. WOrst case he gets hurt, retires and Richard takes over. Best case he returns to form and dominates.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
Apparently the Cards are gonna buy him out. I also read he is finally healthy. I would like the Sox to take a chance on him for a cheap incentive contract. WOrst case he gets hurt, retires and Richard takes over. Best case he returns to form and dominates.

Minimum deal, I would take him.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Banned

If he's healthy why would the Cards just pick up his option for 2009? His buyout is 1.5 million so salary for 2009 would be 9.5 million. If he's really health now it doesn't make any sense that the Card would take the riskm instead of buying him out.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellview View Post
If he's healthy why would the Cards just pick up his option for 2009? His buyout is 1.5 million so salary for 2009 would be 9.5 million. If he's really health now it doesn't make any sense that the Card would take the riskm instead of buying him out.
You are forgetting that the Cardinals have been pretty cost conscious lately (i.e. cheap). They also just broke their tiny bank on giving a 4 year deal to the incredibly mediocre Kyle Lohse so they most likely didn't have any pennies left to spend on Mulder who is fresh off of multiple injury plagued seasons.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-20-2008, 04:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

As soon as I saw he got bought out, I thought about him and the Sox. He's going to have to take a cheap deal, might as well do it with his hometown team.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:58 PM
MMXXIII

Coop can fix him.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
WSI Prelate

If Duncan and LaRussa can't get any productivity from him, I'm guessing he has nothing left in the tank.

If Coop sees something - why not for the minimum? But I am guessing his time and energy can be better used on guys who have upside.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

It's funny because when I first saw Richard throw, he reminded me of Mulder. If he's healthy enough I say give him a chance.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by veeter View Post
It's funny because when I first saw Richard throw, he reminded me of Mulder. If he's healthy enough I say give him a chance.
What about him? The arm he throws with?

Richard doesn't have a very high ceiling, let's get that straight. I didn't see anything special out of him, besides that he's got balls. Put him in the bullpen, make him a LOOGY, maybe a little more if he succeeds in that role, but I don't want him in the rotation next year (probably never).

Now people are going to say, well, some said the same about Gavin. I actually liked what I saw from Gavin last year, and that's your fault if you didn't think he was on the way up. I certainly didn't expect a breakout season to the extent he had, but I did expect him to be solid. Richard, meh, is a guy that is going to get killed once the league knows about him.

BTW, I wasn't implying that you wanted Richard in the rotation. In fact, you want Mulder, so I'm sure you wouldn't like Richard in the rotation. I just wanted to get that off my chest. People get so caught up in the 'what have you done for me lately', and want veteran pitchers gone (Javy), with low ceiling rookies taking over. It's just frustrating.

Last edited by oeo; 10-20-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:00 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeo View Post

Richard doesn't have a very high ceiling, let's get that straight. I didn't see anything special out of him, besides that he's got balls. Put him in the bullpen, make him a LOOGY, maybe a little more if he succeeds in that role, but I don't want him in the rotation next year (probably never).

Now people are going to say, well, some said the same about Gavin. I actually liked what I saw from Gavin last year, and that's your fault if you didn't think he was on the way up. I certainly didn't expect a breakout season to the extent he had, but I did expect him to be solid. Richard, meh, is a guy that is going to get killed once the league knows about him.

BTW, I wasn't implying that you wanted Richard in the rotation. In fact, you want Mulder, so I'm sure you wouldn't like Richard in the rotation. I just wanted to get that off my chest. People get so caught up in the 'what have you done for me lately', and want veteran pitchers gone (Javy), with low ceiling rookies taking over. It's just frustrating.
I wish Javy had the balls Richard has. I also wish Richard has the "stuff" Javy has.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Wow. To be honest with you, I don't want either of them in the rotation. I want Kenny to sign a free agant to go along with MB, Gavin, Danks and Javy. We'll see what happens. I do think also, that Richard would be excellent out of the pen.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

He's a home-town kid. If it doesn't cost much, why the hell not?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

If the Cards are letting him go, I don't think he's healthy, but for a low contract, I'd take a gamble on him.

Go Sox!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 11:07 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I just wanted to get that off my chest. People get so caught up in the 'what have you done for me lately', and want veteran pitchers gone (Javy), with low ceiling rookies taking over. It's just frustrating.

Please add Dwayne Wise to the stupidity list. Some of the nonesene I heard from Sox fans the last month about perhaps penciling him in as your CF next season almost made want to stab myself in the neck.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

We're gonna need someone to take Contreras' place next year, so why not keep him as a possible option? Richard belongs in the bullpen. I don't want to see Logan anywhere near this team.
2010 ST Attendance Record: 1-0-1
2010 Attendance Record: 10-3
2011 Attendance Record: 4-6
2012 Attendance Record: 2-1