White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 08:42 PM
WSI Regular

Trade him for mike sirotka
2000 All over again. The kids can play!
Old 10-19-2008, 06:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
That depends on who's running, who's on base, what surface you're playing on, and who's playing defense. There are many cases where you'd rather have the flame thrower.
And Bobby showed in the blackout game that he can still be a flamethrower. Fact is, his WHIP went down when he became a pitcher more than a thrower.

I don't think we could get Reyes straight up for him, but I'm sick and tired of people here undervaluing our players because they think it makes them look "in the know." Bobby Jenks has MASSIVE amounts of trade value. He is one of the most difficult assets to attain. Just stop it with the condescension.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
That depends on who's running, who's on base, what surface you're playing on, and who's playing defense. There are many cases where you'd rather have the flame thrower.
OK, fair enough. My point is that Jenks seems to be able to bring the heat when he needs it. Otherwise, why waste the effort when the result will almost always be the same (only four blown saves in 2008)?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
I don't think we could get Reyes straight up for him, but I'm sick and tired of people here undervaluing our players because they think it makes them look "in the know." Bobby Jenks has MASSIVE amounts of trade value. He is one of the most difficult assets to attain. Just stop it with the condescension.
No one is saying he doesn't have very high value. But the condescension is due to the OP's suggestion.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-19-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

I would trade Jenks and Floyd to Fla for Hanley Ramirez and a prospect. since the Marlins let Gregg go

than try to sign K Rod in the off season..

i think Hanley will be a top notch player for many years to come..
Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
I would trade Jenks and Floyd to Fla for Hanley Ramirez and a prospect.
Would you now?
Old 10-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Would you now?

in a heart beat..
Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
in a heart beat..
Yeah, kittle's point was that there's no way the Marlins let Hanley Ramirez go anywhere. In a SI poll of GMs, they listed him as the player they'd take to build their teams around.

Hanley Ramirez has more value than any player in baseball right now. It would take Jenks, Floyd, Danks, (Alexei) Ramirez, and maybe more to get him.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:56 PM
WSI Regular

Yes. As good as Bobby is and as much as I like him a closer is a interchangeable part I think. I'm not saying anyone can do it but most guys who are good in the bullpen can be good in a closers role. Thornton, Dotel, and Linebrink I think could all close with success on our team. Depending on who we get I think a position player could help us overall more then having Jenks.
Saying that I'm in no rush to trade him. But if I were KW I'd be open to talkign about it.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullythered View Post
And Bobby showed in the blackout game that he can still be a flamethrower. Fact is, his WHIP went down when he became a pitcher more than a thrower.

I was at that game and was too worried about videoing the last out to look at the pitch speed, but watching the highlights on mlb.com the next day, TBS showed that he hit 100 mph with the last pitch he threw to Casilla. In my opinion, if Jenks has command of his pitches and can successfully get guys out by "only" hitting 90-93 or 94 on the gun, why worry about whether or not he hits triple digits?
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 10-19-2008, 09:47 PM
WSI High Priest

This is one stupid thread.

Don't trade Bobby and you wouldn't get enough from other teams for his true value to our club.

2014 White Sox Concession Tracker:
4 Miller Lite's
3 Half Acre Daisy Cutters
1 Hot Dog
1 Polish

It's gone.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I would trade Jenks and Floyd to Fla for Hanley Ramirez and a prospect.
It took Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to pry Hanley Ramirez, when he was still a prospect, away from the Red Sox. You think Bobby Jenks and Gavin Floyd is going to pry him away from the Marlins after he's turned into a stud? No way the Marlins take that deal.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
It took Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to pry Hanley Ramirez, when he was still a prospect, away from the Red Sox. You think Bobby Jenks and Gavin Floyd is going to pry him away from the Marlins after he's turned into a stud? No way the Marlins take that deal.
You are partially right. It didn't take Mike Lowell. He was the crap that was thrown in. At the time, he was coming off a horrible year, and had a really big contract. Look back to some of the AJ Burnett rumor threads from July 2005 to see how people here felt about Lowell's future. The Marlins made the Red Sox take his salary off their hands, and it worked out perfectly for them.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned

Jenks is one of the top closers in the game and Floyd could win 20 games..

The Marlins don't like to spend money and to get 2 top pitchers for a SS. I don't see why they wouldn't do it

How many games can Hanley win for the Marlins compare to Jenks and Floyd.. With the Rays having a good chance to win the World Series the Marlins will need to do something..

IMO the Sox can spend the money to replace Bobby and Gavin..
Old 10-20-2008, 12:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Jenks is one of the top closers in the game and Floyd could win 20 games..

The Marlins don't like to spend money and to get 2 top pitchers for a SS. I don't see why they wouldn't do it

How many games can Hanley win for the Marlins compare to Jenks and Floyd.. With the Rays having a good chance to win the World Series the Marlins will need to do something..

IMO the Sox can spend the money to replace Bobby and Gavin..
How do you know we have this money? Aren't we financially ties at the moment?

it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you.

http://arsenalist.com/video/?id=xh2dx6

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.