White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2008, 11:03 AM
WSI Regular

Default Johnathan Weaver

my brother is went to school with this kid and he was drafted by the sox in the 7th round in this past draft..he is out of east leyden high school in franklin park and i was curious if anyone knew what the scouting report (if any) there is on him.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 AM
btrain929

I heard he didn't sign with us, but I could be wrong.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Says, he was drafted in the 17th round, had 90 SO's in 60 IP. Is 6'3 185ish, and looks to have a bad hairstyle.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:38 PM
WSI Regular

lol yeah i saw that as well ... was just curious if he had any legit shot of moving up with the franchise..if in fact he signs
Old 10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxIn06 View Post
lol yeah i saw that as well ... was just curious if he had any legit shot of moving up with the franchise..if in fact he signs
He didn't sign and that's no big loss. He wasn't that good anyway.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 PM
WSI Regular

ouch lol i will be sure to let him know that..just thought it was kinda neat that someone around here got picked up by the sox
Old 10-10-2008, 08:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrain929 View Post
I heard he didn't sign with us, but I could be wrong.

He didn't sign. He is going to play JC ball for a year. He has tremendous talent. I'm guessing he gets taken in a top 10 round next year.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
He didn't sign. He is going to play JC ball for a year. He has tremendous talent. I'm guessing he gets taken in a top 10 round next year.
Why didn't we offer him more money?
Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagne030 View Post
Why didn't we offer him more money?
we were too busy giving hand outs to Kenny's kid who has about as much baseball talent as Schueler's daughter.

Seriously though, if the Sox were serious at all about rebuilding the farm, they would have went above slot for him and long. These are 2 guys who would have been in our top 5 prospects within a year or 2, and we continue with this pennies on the dollar approach to prospects and wonder why our farm is one of the 5 worst in baseball year in and year out.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:19 AM
WSI Regular

Calm down mr domeshot..they are very serious about chagning the foundation of the farm. It does not start with 1 player that doesnt sign.

And we do have a tendency to take a shot at a guy a couple years later after we first draft him. Hence Jordan Danks who from all reports had a terrific Instructional League.

The turn around of the system begins with the exits of Wilder/ Alan Regier and the arrivals of Buddy Bell and numerous other coaches.

Will be a top 5 system within 2 years if Kenny doesn't take al the high rankers. But if he does and it makes the Major league roster better, God Bless Him.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:05 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
It does not start with 1 player that doesnt sign.
I'm not surprised some people don't get it.

But we had a wonderful draft in terms of what we got from it. It will take a few years to see what pans out, but we signed nearly every guy we expected to sign. The guys we didn't sign, many we didn't really expect to see next year - took a shot, but didn't expect. Weaver was made a decent offer - but he decided one year of JC would only improve his value - not a bad thought process.

Beckham, Morel, Danks, Hudson, Upchurch, and Sauer all looked decent in thier short stints so far. Asselin had an awesome first 20 innings.

This draft is along way from where you can evaluate it. But Weaver's decision to wait one year, while unfortunate for the Sox, is no big deal, and nobody's fault. It's just part of what happens when you draft high upside HS kids in the mid rounds. We had others in the same boat. I'll be interested to see if some of these names resurface next year or in 3 years.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagan View Post
Calm down mr domeshot..they are very serious about chagning the foundation of the farm. It does not start with 1 player that doesnt sign.

And we do have a tendency to take a shot at a guy a couple years later after we first draft him. Hence Jordan Danks who from all reports had a terrific Instructional League.

The turn around of the system begins with the exits of Wilder/ Alan Regier and the arrivals of Buddy Bell and numerous other coaches.

Will be a top 5 system within 2 years if Kenny doesn't take al the high rankers. But if he does and it makes the Major league roster better, God Bless Him.
I don't put much stock in Jordan Danks. He is not a bad prospect, but the idea we got this super-spec like he was in high school is just wrong. The guy got to college and was very vanilla. He hit low 300s (which isnt great) showed little power and now projects maybe as more a Ryan Sweeney with Speed and no longer a middle of the order hitter.

I know we want to change, but we still draft very cheap. We had a great draft but we also had high picks. But we consistently miss out on better talent because we won't pay. We passed on Porcello for Poreda so not only do we have to live with the fact we missed on one of the top 10 arms in the minors for Matt Thorntons future replacement, but then we have to face him 4 or 5 times a year on the Tigers.

I am just happy they took the draft out of Kenny's hands with the new system and Buddy Bell. He ran the system poorly before he was GM and it has only gotten worse.

The idea we will be a top 5 system is out of this world. You only get there 1 of 3 ways: Consistently Bad (not us), Consistently willing to spend (not us) Drafting BRILLIANTLY (also not us).
Old 10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
WSI Personality

One thing we can't forget in regards to this past years draft class, is that it was incredibly weak.

I think the White Sox did a commendable job in this class (They didn't have one of the best drafts, but were not the worst either) but unfortunately the talent in this draft was so thin, I suspect for the white sox (and most other teams) this won't be seen as a banner year. And that's more the fault of circumstances than any individual.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I don't put much stock in Jordan Danks. He is not a bad prospect, but the idea we got this super-spec like he was in high school is just wrong. The guy got to college and was very vanilla. He hit low 300s (which isnt great) showed little power and now projects maybe as more a Ryan Sweeney with Speed and no longer a middle of the order hitter.

I know we want to change, but we still draft very cheap. We had a great draft but we also had high picks. But we consistently miss out on better talent because we won't pay. We passed on Porcello for Poreda so not only do we have to live with the fact we missed on one of the top 10 arms in the minors for Matt Thorntons future replacement, but then we have to face him 4 or 5 times a year on the Tigers.

I am just happy they took the draft out of Kenny's hands with the new system and Buddy Bell. He ran the system poorly before he was GM and it has only gotten worse.

The idea we will be a top 5 system is out of this world. You only get there 1 of 3 ways: Consistently Bad (not us), Consistently willing to spend (not us) Drafting BRILLIANTLY (also not us).
Um... IIRC (and I may be wrong) but I seem to remember the White Sox farm system being ranked #1 or #2 prior to the start of the '01 campaign (KW's first season as GM) by many outlets. At least that's what I remember reading in the Tribune back then, with Jon Rauch, Jon Garland, Julio Ramirez, Joe Borchard, Lorenzo Barcelo, Joe Crede, Matt Guerrier, Miguel Olivo, etc. I think that the Sox were 2nd and the Cubs were ranked 1st as far as farm systems were concerned.

I know hardly anyone that was in the farm at that time went on to do something meaningful, and those that did were not expected to (Buehrle, Rowand, with Crede as the exception). Goes to show that just because you have a highly ranked farm is no guarantee of anything.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:04 AM
WSI Guru

There was just a story in the newspaper in the past few days where it said the Sox actually spent more money on their minor league picks then last season but it still added up to only 23rd among all the teams in MLB.

Same story said the Cubs spent a half million less then last year.

Lip