White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Banned

Default There has to be replay in the post-season

Umpiring has been spotty all year but so far in the post-season we have seen a few dubious calls none worse than the blown pick-off call in the 9th inning Friday in Anaheim.( and I am saying this as a Boston fan )

The call rattled K-Rod enough to surrender a homer to Drew on the next at-bat.

Umpires are human and they don't have the benefit of slow motion but in the playoffs they need to be able to say 'I'm not sure'

Use a 7th ump if necessary in the press box but get it right.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Banned

Slippery slope. Just like I said. Once you start replay for one thing you open a pandora's box for "let's replay that" "Oh, that was a big moment we should replay that".

Congrats MLB on opening the box.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Official Professor

Further proof that replay isn't the answer: I thought he missed the tag, and the call was correct, and I saw the replay in slo-mo several times.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-04-2008, 02:24 AM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

They need to go to computerized "officials" and do away with umpires altogether. It would save MLB tons of money and would make things completely fair. **** the whole adage of human error being "part of the game." Isn't the important thing to get the call RIGHT anyways? This couldn't take place for a while, but techie geeks could easily devise a system.

States Visited: 49
Last Up: Hawaii in January
Old 10-04-2008, 02:24 AM
Banned

I thought JD was out but it didn't matter since they turned a double play.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfanatic View Post
They need to go to computerized "officials" and do away with umpires altogether. It would save MLB tons of money and would make things completely fair. **** the whole adage of human error being "part of the game." Isn't the important thing to get the call RIGHT anyways? This couldn't take place for a while, but techie geeks could easily devise a system.
Why does MLB need to save $?

Oh, and no. Techies and the such running baseball game outcomes? You'd regret suggesting that the next time you see a game like you did (ours) tonight.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:31 AM
Lefty34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Umpiring has been spotty all year but so far in the post-season we have seen a few dubious calls none worse than the blown pick-off call in the 9th inning Friday in Anaheim.( and I am saying this as a Boston fan )

The call rattled K-Rod enough to surrender a homer to Drew on the next at-bat.

Umpires are human and they don't have the benefit of slow motion but in the playoffs they need to be able to say 'I'm not sure'

Use a 7th ump if necessary in the press box but get it right.
I was a big fan of IR entering baseball, but only for fair/foul/fain interference HR calls. Like FedEx said, you cannot allow yourself to want IR for ALL plays, no matter how high the temptation may be, that would just change the game completely.

I'm afraid people have started to try to get the NFL down that slippery slope just this season (with Jay Cutler's play and all), and I even think that THAT is wrong. IR has it's place and I believe that place is NOT within every aspect of the officiating of a game.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:35 AM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post
I was a big fan of IR entering baseball, but only for fair/foul/fain interference HR calls. Like FedEx said, you cannot allow yourself to want IR for ALL plays, no matter how high the temptation may be, that would just change the game completely.
Yea. Who in their right mind would want the call to be right at the expense of the precious "human element" of the game.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty34 View Post

I'm afraid people have started to try to get the NFL down that slippery slope just this season (with Jay Cutler's play and all), and I even think that THAT is wrong. IR has it's place and I believe that place is NOT within every aspect of the officiating of a game.
I had one umpire tell me off the record in a bar after a game that he has trouble with balls and strikes if the pitch is over 95 MPH..it comes in too fast.

Kansas City won a World Series on a blown call at first base in 1985. I know IR is a slippery slope but now with HD errors are seen easier. MLB has the war room like the NHL set up in Manhattan and they made sure it was separate from the new baseball channel facility at the old MSNBC studios in Jersey.

Umpires by and large do get it right most of the time but I am simply saying in the post-season let them have an extra tool.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:27 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
I am simply saying in the post-season let them have an extra tool.
Why are post-season games more important than games that might eliminate a team from the post season?
Old 10-04-2008, 03:31 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I had one umpire tell me off the record in a bar after a game that he has trouble with balls and strikes if the pitch is over 95 MPH..it comes in too fast.

Kansas City won a World Series on a blown call at first base in 1985. I know IR is a slippery slope but now with HD errors are seen easier. MLB has the war room like the NHL set up in Manhattan and they made sure it was separate from the new baseball channel facility at the old MSNBC studios in Jersey.

Umpires by and large do get it right most of the time but I am simply saying in the post-season let them have an extra tool.
They have an extra tool... he was behind home plate at the Trop last night.

Ba-da-boom, tishhhhhhhhhh
Old 10-04-2008, 07:40 AM
WSI Prelate

I can deal with occasional blown calls. It would be nice to have replay available to rectify blown calls, but blown calls are not the main problem IMHO. The biggest problem is home plate umps calling wildly inconsistent strike zones, even within the same game.

I understand that whether a pitch is above or below the rulebook strike zone is a judgment call because each hitter is different and hitters often move during the pitch.

But a pitch is either over the plate or it is not. Umps have proven that they cannot - and/or are unwilling to - judge fairly and consistently whether a ball passed over the plate. Therefore, I want a computerized system to determine whether a pitch is over the plate or not.

I do not have a problem with the human element. I do have a problem with blatant unfairness and dictatorial arbitrariness. It's time to bring some impartiality into the game in a situation where it would be relatively easy to do so: judging whether a pitch is over the plate or not.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Chief Geek - Security Guard

Quote:
As a techie geek I only have one response for this assertion:

Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
"Working" an umpire is a large part of the game of baseball.
Old 10-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Horrible idea.