White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,353
Default At Least He's Consistent

This is an interesting read:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,7497462.story

It doesn't have a by-line but the link clearly says "rogers"

I guess he'd rather the Sox use such "proven workhorses" as Clayton Richard or Lance Broadway down the stretch with a divisional title on the line.

Like I said in another thread, Ozzie is doing what he can with his best pitchers. It's not his fault he only has four he can count on.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-20-2008, 11:03 PM
kjhanson kjhanson is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 812
Default

Phil really fell off the bandwagon hard. For a while in 2006, after the Sox won the World Series, he tried his hardest to write more positive stories about the White Sox. But as soon as they slipped after the All-Star break, he was back to his old ways of riding them hard - and he hasn't stopped since.

And speaking of "since", well, actually, I mean "sense", Phil doesn't make any. Not in this little gem, nor in any other.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2008, 09:42 AM
viagracat viagracat is offline
2008 Winner Pre-Season Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Elgin, IL--"The City to Watch!"
Posts: 3,024
Post

After Vazquez stunk up the joint the other day, my first thoughts were pretty much along the same line as Rogers'. But after thinking about it more, I would have really gotten more upset had someone like Broadway got shelled in a tight stretch run, and Ozzie would have never heard the end of it from all the experts in the media around here.

Hopefully the Sox are 3 1/2 up going into Minny, which would increase the odds of the big starters getting some rest before the playoffs.
__________________
The 'Cat: WINNER of the 2008 Pre-Season Prediction Contest
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2008, 10:07 AM
veeter veeter is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 4,496
Default

If Guillen would have pitched Broadway and he'd lost, Ozzie would have heard it from, more specifically, Rogers. You see, with Phil you can't win. He's the poster boy of 20/20 hind sight. Rogers really loves to pile on now that the cubs are enjoying this magical, historic and important title run. His goal in life is to make the Sox look bad. Phil also knows the baseball i.q. of most of his readers is like, ten. Therefore they eat it up. The baseball Gods have their ways, and for a hundred years they've gotten it right on the north side. I don't expect that to change.
__________________
Thank You 2005 Chicago White Sox
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2008, 11:05 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjhanson View Post
Phil really fell off the bandwagon hard. For a while in 2006, after the Sox won the World Series, he tried his hardest to write more positive stories about the White Sox. But as soon as they slipped after the All-Star break, he was back to his old ways of riding them hard - and he hasn't stopped since.

And speaking of "since", well, actually, I mean "sense", Phil doesn't make any. Not in this little gem, nor in any other.
The positive stories were appearing at the same time he was promoting his book on this board and elsewhere. Next book = more positive stories.
__________________
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 32,353
Default

Another day still ANOTHER story on how Ozzie refuses to give such "stellar" pitchers like Clayton Richard (6 ERA) and Lance Broadway a shot, with a division title on the line.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7695420.column

I sent him an e-mail about this second story of his in less then a week:

"You know I respect you and consider you a friend but I've got to tell you I'm getting pissed off at this tired refrain about the pitchers on short rest.

To answer your question, no I have ZERO confidence, none, nada, zip, nyet in anything Lance Broadway or Clayton Richard does. Richard had a good start in New York and got lit up in Kansas City and Minnesota. He got lucky pure and simple. Lance Broadway, beat the Royals, big deal.

If the Sox have a problem it's because they weren't willing to go out and pay the price to get a veteran starter after Contreras went down. Hang that one on Kenny Williams.

Now if you start writing that I'll agree with you 100%.

As Hall of Fame manager Casey Stengel once said, (paraphrasing) the only thing rookies do is get managers fired.

Amen.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If the Sox have a problem it's because they weren't willing to go out and pay the price to get a veteran starter after Contreras went down. Hang that one on Kenny Williams.



Lip
Its not just paying the price, its over paying or whatever it takes at that point. This also held true for a reliefer when Linebrink went down. But I won't and never hang this kinda stuff on Williams until I know he can write the check without approval and I never will know but suspect he can't.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-25-2008, 12:30 AM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,738
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Its not just paying the price, its over paying or whatever it takes at that point. This also held true for a reliefer when Linebrink went down. But I won't and never hang this kinda stuff on Williams until I know he can write the check without approval and I never will know but suspect he can't.
There isn't a single GM in the game who has an unlimited budget.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-25-2008, 12:36 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,600
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
There isn't a single GM in the game who has an unlimited budget.
I am well aware but piggy banks are there to be cracked open in desperate times. And I don't think the one that controls that piggy bank was willing to bust it open and that's not Williams fault.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-25-2008, 09:28 AM
NLaloosh NLaloosh is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vernon Hills
Posts: 1,125
Default

Paul Byrd.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:53 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,630
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaloosh View Post
Paul Byrd.
Who the Indians would not trade within the division unless we gave up a ton more than he was worth....
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2008, 01:58 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 5,814
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Who the Indians would not trade within the division unless we gave up a ton more than he was worth....
Desperate times require desperate measures.
__________________
2018 Attendance Tracker: 1 - 3

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Another day still ANOTHER story on how Ozzie refuses to give such "stellar" pitchers like Clayton Richard (6 ERA) and Lance Broadway a shot, with a division title on the line.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...7695420.column

I sent him an e-mail about this second story of his in less then a week:

"You know I respect you and consider you a friend but I've got to tell you I'm getting pissed off at this tired refrain about the pitchers on short rest.

To answer your question, no I have ZERO confidence, none, nada, zip, nyet in anything Lance Broadway or Clayton Richard does. Richard had a good start in New York and got lit up in Kansas City and Minnesota. He got lucky pure and simple. Lance Broadway, beat the Royals, big deal.

If the Sox have a problem it's because they weren't willing to go out and pay the price to get a veteran starter after Contreras went down. Hang that one on Kenny Williams.

Now if you start writing that I'll agree with you 100%.

As Hall of Fame manager Casey Stengel once said, (paraphrasing) the only thing rookies do is get managers fired.

Amen.

Lip
Lip, you have big stones my man.


Way to call him out.


Good stuff!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.