White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
NLaloosh NLaloosh is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vernon Hills
Posts: 1,125
Default

My sources are telling me that he'll be with the big league club next year.

He's going to be the translator for Harold Baines facial expressions and bodily noises.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Optipessimism Optipessimism is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLaloosh View Post
My sources are telling me that he'll be with the big league club next year.

He's going to be the translator for Harold Baines facial expressions and bodily noises.
So when Harold farts all Oney has to do is point to the bullpen. Sounds like an easy gig.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 12,933
Blog Entries: 2
Default

There was no reason to draft Williams Jr 3 rounds too early. If he's interested in playing ball and not just his $500K bonus, then it could still work out okay.


But nepotism is nepotism - I see no reason to excuse it.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 AM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrch View Post
Here's truth #3. It is far to early to conclude that KWJR is the same story. He was projected to go in the 8th round regardless. He is not some talentless stiff who was taken in the back end because of his dad.
I think people that lump KWJr and Oney together are completely missing that point. KWJr may or may not pan out but he was good enough to be recruited by Arizona State and then transfer to Wichita State...two of the best baseball programs in the country...I doubt KWSr had much say (if any) on that. If the Sox wouldn't have taken him, another team would have in the next 2 or 3 rounds at the latest. I also believe he was drafted out of high school, but could be wrong on that.

Oney played a North Park, a doormat in the CCIW, one of the tougher conferences in DIII. He put up mediocre numbers there and woudn't have been drafted by anyone. He played 2 years of professional baseball, however, and while didn't embarass himself, did nothing to justify his roster spot for that time frame.

They really don't compare at all.
__________________

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 AM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
There was no reason to draft Williams Jr 3 rounds too early. If he's interested in playing ball and not just his $500K bonus, then it could still work out okay.


But nepotism is nepotism - I see no reason to excuse it.
Perhaps the reason the Sox "reached for KWJr" is that they were familiar with him. What I mean is, teams tend to like players they see a lot of for whatever reason (they also make an effort to see the players they like so it works both ways). This is why you'll see certain teams take an inoridnate amount of local kids. It's only natural, even if its on a subcocious level.

In the case of KWJr., he MAY have been drafted where he was b/c of nepotism but he may also have been drafted b/c the Sox really liked him and didn't want a team to take him before their next pick (keep in mind any team that liked KWJr. had to believe he was on the Sox radar so he may require a reach on their end).

With Oney, I'm 100% certain the pick was b/c of nepotism. I really think they are two different scenarios.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 09-18-2008, 03:48 AM
jabrch jabrch is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Highland Park, IL
Posts: 15,202
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
I think people that lump KWJr and Oney together are completely missing that point. KWJr may or may not pan out but he was good enough to be recruited by Arizona State and then transfer to Wichita State...two of the best baseball programs in the country...I doubt KWSr had much say (if any) on that. If the Sox wouldn't have taken him, another team would have in the next 2 or 3 rounds at the latest. I also believe he was drafted out of high school, but could be wrong on that.

Oney played a North Park, a doormat in the CCIW, one of the tougher conferences in DIII. He put up mediocre numbers there and woudn't have been drafted by anyone. He played 2 years of professional baseball, however, and while didn't embarass himself, did nothing to justify his roster spot for that time frame.

They really don't compare at all.
Winnner!
__________________
Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.