White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
comet2k comet2k is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 285
Default I stood up to cheer ...

... a double by Cabrera yesterday, and the guy behind me complained that I was blocking his view. He said, "It's okay to stand up for a home run, but not a double."

I had never heard anything like that from the Behavior Police before, and I told him I'd decide when to stand up and cheer, and he took umbrage at that. It didn't get nasty, partly because I didn't continue the argument, but geez I wasn't being a Jack in the Box bouncing up and down constantly, just cheering for something good by the Sox.

The irony is that throughout the game, people in my row, the one behind and the ones in front of us were getting up and returning in the middle of plays, and he never complained about that. To top it off, he and his friend left in the 8th inning after one said to the other, "Let's stand up to watch the rest of the game."

I don't like it when people get up in the middle of an at bat, but I figure it's part of being at the game, so deal with it. Can't we all just get along?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet2k View Post
... a double by Cabrera yesterday, and the guy behind me complained that I was blocking his view. He said, "It's okay to stand up for a home run, but not a double."

I had never heard anything like that from the Behavior Police before, and I told him I'd decide when to stand up and cheer, and he took umbrage at that. It didn't get nasty, partly because I didn't continue the argument, but geez I wasn't being a Jack in the Box bouncing up and down constantly, just cheering for something good by the Sox.

The irony is that throughout the game, people in my row, the one behind and the ones in front of us were getting up and returning in the middle of plays, and he never complained about that. To top it off, he and his friend left in the 8th inning after one said to the other, "Let's stand up to watch the rest of the game."

I don't like it when people get up in the middle of an at bat, but I figure it's part of being at the game, so deal with it. Can't we all just get along?
This is where you respond to the guy "Too bad you didn't buy a ticket 2 rows closer to the field."

Seriously. There is nothing wrong with standing up to cheer a good play.
__________________

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Konerko05 Konerko05 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,618
Default

The last game I was at, some guy asked me why my friends and I were standing with two outs in the ninth. I turned around and said, "because it's the last out of the game." He started mumbling about how we were up by 5 and it's not a playoff game. So much stuff I wanted to say, but I just kept my mouth shut.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Law11 Law11 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 3,977
Default

I would have started standing for a walk...
__________________
1976.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
UofCSoxFan UofCSoxFan is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
The last game I was at, some guy asked me why my friends and I were standing with two outs in the ninth. I turned around and said, "because it's the last out of the game." He started mumbling about how we were up by 5 and it's not a playoff game. So much stuff I wanted to say, but I just kept my mouth shut.
Guys like that should watch the game on their tv at home. They'd be more comfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
TDog TDog is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 17,885
Default

That reminds me of the time in the mid-1970s (maybe 1976 -- it might have been Crazy Comb night) when I was in the last row of the upper deck in Old Comiskey next to the press box, so that I couldn't see anything in the foul territory behind the hitter and couldn't follow the path of fly balls. It was the eighth inning. I could hear the reporters typing their little stories a few feet away, and my friend and I were standing. An usher told us to sit down.

It is OK to stand up for a double. It's OK to stand up for a single. It's OK to stand up for a great defensive play.

It's not OK to stand up when the wave comes around.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
KenBerryGrab KenBerryGrab is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Madison, Wis.
Posts: 2,596
Default

The same guy who complained probably also stands to make a beer order and to receive change.
__________________
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/signaturepics/sigpic10044_1.gif
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
BigP50 BigP50 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Glen Ellyn, IL
Posts: 1,165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law11 View Post
I would have started standing for a walk...

I would stand up for a ball
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
CashMan CashMan is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Romeoville
Posts: 1,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet2k View Post
... a double by Cabrera yesterday, and the guy behind me complained that I was blocking his view. He said, "It's okay to stand up for a home run, but not a double."

I had never heard anything like that from the Behavior Police before, and I told him I'd decide when to stand up and cheer, and he took umbrage at that. It didn't get nasty, partly because I didn't continue the argument, but geez I wasn't being a Jack in the Box bouncing up and down constantly, just cheering for something good by the Sox.

The irony is that throughout the game, people in my row, the one behind and the ones in front of us were getting up and returning in the middle of plays, and he never complained about that. To top it off, he and his friend left in the 8th inning after one said to the other, "Let's stand up to watch the rest of the game."

I don't like it when people get up in the middle of an at bat, but I figure it's part of being at the game, so deal with it. Can't we all just get along?

You can't contain yourself and clap in your seat?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
bigsoxfan420 bigsoxfan420 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Home of the Billy Graham Museum
Posts: 1,159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet2k View Post
... a double by Cabrera yesterday, and the guy behind me complained that I was blocking his view. He said, "It's okay to stand up for a home run, but not a double."

I had never heard anything like that from the Behavior Police before, and I told him I'd decide when to stand up and cheer, and he took umbrage at that. It didn't get nasty, partly because I didn't continue the argument, but geez I wasn't being a Jack in the Box bouncing up and down constantly, just cheering for something good by the Sox.

The irony is that throughout the game, people in my row, the one behind and the ones in front of us were getting up and returning in the middle of plays, and he never complained about that. To top it off, he and his friend left in the 8th inning after one said to the other, "Let's stand up to watch the rest of the game."

I don't like it when people get up in the middle of an at bat, but I figure it's part of being at the game, so deal with it. Can't we all just get along?
That sounds crazy. Were you standing for a long time? Maybe he was just annoyed with you in general (i.e. were you talking throughout the game, sweaing ,etc.). If not then, that dude is just not a baseball fan.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Nellie_Fox's Avatar
Nellie_Fox Nellie_Fox is offline
Official Professor
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: North Mankato, MN
Posts: 16,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
You can't contain yourself and clap in your seat?
I hope this is "teal implied." I'm a grumpy old man with achy knees, and I'd be up cheering for a double myself.
__________________

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:24 PM
kevingrt kevingrt is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Buffalo Grove, IL
Posts: 8,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I hope this is "teal implied." I'm a grumpy old man with achy knees, and I'd be up cheering for a double myself.
Everyone loves the old guy that stands up and gives high fives around after big plays.
__________________
It's gone.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
cws05champ cws05champ is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Del Boca Vista, Florida
Posts: 3,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt View Post
Everyone loves the old guy that stands up and gives high fives around after big plays.
I love the that guy that stands up and turns to the crowd waving his arms, cheering and jeering to get the rest of the crowd to stand up......not really.
__________________

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
SaltyPretzel SaltyPretzel is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: South Loop
Posts: 2,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
The same guy who complained probably also stands to make a beer order and to receive change.
That's probably my biggest pet peeve. Why is it necessary to stand up to get your wallet out of your pocket?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
tonyho7476 tonyho7476 is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That reminds me of the time in the mid-1970s (maybe 1976 -- it might have been Crazy Comb night) when I was in the last row of the upper deck in Old Comiskey next to the press box, so that I couldn't see anything in the foul territory behind the hitter and couldn't follow the path of fly balls. It was the eighth inning. I could hear the reporters typing their little stories a few feet away, and my friend and I were standing. An usher told us to sit down.

It is OK to stand up for a double. It's OK to stand up for a single. It's OK to stand up for a great defensive play.

It's not OK to stand up when the wave comes around.
Seriously, in the last week, the crowd has been wave crazy. I guess that's what happens when newbies show up.
__________________


Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.