Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
WSI Regular

Default I stood up to cheer ...

... a double by Cabrera yesterday, and the guy behind me complained that I was blocking his view. He said, "It's okay to stand up for a home run, but not a double."

I had never heard anything like that from the Behavior Police before, and I told him I'd decide when to stand up and cheer, and he took umbrage at that. It didn't get nasty, partly because I didn't continue the argument, but geez I wasn't being a Jack in the Box bouncing up and down constantly, just cheering for something good by the Sox.

The irony is that throughout the game, people in my row, the one behind and the ones in front of us were getting up and returning in the middle of plays, and he never complained about that. To top it off, he and his friend left in the 8th inning after one said to the other, "Let's stand up to watch the rest of the game."

I don't like it when people get up in the middle of an at bat, but I figure it's part of being at the game, so deal with it. Can't we all just get along?
Old 08-25-2008, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet2k View Post
... a double by Cabrera yesterday, and the guy behind me complained that I was blocking his view. He said, "It's okay to stand up for a home run, but not a double."

I had never heard anything like that from the Behavior Police before, and I told him I'd decide when to stand up and cheer, and he took umbrage at that. It didn't get nasty, partly because I didn't continue the argument, but geez I wasn't being a Jack in the Box bouncing up and down constantly, just cheering for something good by the Sox.

The irony is that throughout the game, people in my row, the one behind and the ones in front of us were getting up and returning in the middle of plays, and he never complained about that. To top it off, he and his friend left in the 8th inning after one said to the other, "Let's stand up to watch the rest of the game."

I don't like it when people get up in the middle of an at bat, but I figure it's part of being at the game, so deal with it. Can't we all just get along?
This is where you respond to the guy "Too bad you didn't buy a ticket 2 rows closer to the field."

Seriously. There is nothing wrong with standing up to cheer a good play.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

The last game I was at, some guy asked me why my friends and I were standing with two outs in the ninth. I turned around and said, "because it's the last out of the game." He started mumbling about how we were up by 5 and it's not a playoff game. So much stuff I wanted to say, but I just kept my mouth shut.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would have started standing for a walk...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konerko05 View Post
The last game I was at, some guy asked me why my friends and I were standing with two outs in the ninth. I turned around and said, "because it's the last out of the game." He started mumbling about how we were up by 5 and it's not a playoff game. So much stuff I wanted to say, but I just kept my mouth shut.
Guys like that should watch the game on their tv at home. They'd be more comfortable.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

That reminds me of the time in the mid-1970s (maybe 1976 -- it might have been Crazy Comb night) when I was in the last row of the upper deck in Old Comiskey next to the press box, so that I couldn't see anything in the foul territory behind the hitter and couldn't follow the path of fly balls. It was the eighth inning. I could hear the reporters typing their little stories a few feet away, and my friend and I were standing. An usher told us to sit down.

It is OK to stand up for a double. It's OK to stand up for a single. It's OK to stand up for a great defensive play.

It's not OK to stand up when the wave comes around.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

The same guy who complained probably also stands to make a beer order and to receive change.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law11 View Post
I would have started standing for a walk...

I would stand up for a ball
Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:

You can't contain yourself and clap in your seat?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:

That sounds crazy. Were you standing for a long time? Maybe he was just annoyed with you in general (i.e. were you talking throughout the game, sweaing ,etc.). If not then, that dude is just not a baseball fan.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:21 PM
Official Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashMan View Post
You can't contain yourself and clap in your seat?
I hope this is "teal implied." I'm a grumpy old man with achy knees, and I'd be up cheering for a double myself.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 08-25-2008, 04:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I hope this is "teal implied." I'm a grumpy old man with achy knees, and I'd be up cheering for a double myself.
Everyone loves the old guy that stands up and gives high fives around after big plays.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingrt View Post
Everyone loves the old guy that stands up and gives high fives around after big plays.
I love the that guy that stands up and turns to the crowd waving his arms, cheering and jeering to get the rest of the crowd to stand up......not really.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
The same guy who complained probably also stands to make a beer order and to receive change.
That's probably my biggest pet peeve. Why is it necessary to stand up to get your wallet out of your pocket?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:42 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
That reminds me of the time in the mid-1970s (maybe 1976 -- it might have been Crazy Comb night) when I was in the last row of the upper deck in Old Comiskey next to the press box, so that I couldn't see anything in the foul territory behind the hitter and couldn't follow the path of fly balls. It was the eighth inning. I could hear the reporters typing their little stories a few feet away, and my friend and I were standing. An usher told us to sit down.

It is OK to stand up for a double. It's OK to stand up for a single. It's OK to stand up for a great defensive play.

It's not OK to stand up when the wave comes around.
Seriously, in the last week, the crowd has been wave crazy. I guess that's what happens when newbies show up.

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son.